Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

Can't download and reinstall since update 1.9.3.0

After many trials, tribulations and reinstalls it is now clear that the basic problem is that the fresh install download stops at a bit over one GB.  I've tried using both Microsoft Store and the XBox  app.  In the XBox App, the download shows 152 GB at  first.  But it always completes at  about 1 GB.  I've tried both wireless and Ethernet.  Windows 1909 is up to date.  I've made sure all MSFS related files are removed after each uninstall.  I cannot install on C drive (since it has FSX on it, among other things), so I try to install on D (which has plenty of room).  I succeeded with the initial installation and previous update.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to pjs37 and HiFlyer for earlier help on related issues.  But it is now clear that I need to be able to download the full file.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past four days.  

I was able to install the update successfully, but wanted to move the installation to a different drive.  That worked for me before using the Store App but for some reason I couldn't move the installation a second time.  So I uninstalled, intending to just reinstall at the new location.  After that I couldn't reinstall MFS2020 on any of my drives.  As you mentioned, it fails after downloading about 1 GB but I noticed it also seems to fail to install the Digital Ownership component as well.  I've spent a few hours for each of the past three days trying different solutions, such as resetting the Microsoft Store, reinstalling the Xbox App, creating a new user account on my PC and trying to install under the new user but none of the common solutions seem to work.  I also tried some of the more involved solutions using PowerShell that people suggest will fix problems with the Store App, but none of them have solved the issue.  While searching for advice online I've noticed that there seems to have been a recent increase in the number of people reporting problems with the Store App over the past week, so I believe it's not a problem on my end but something's wrong with Microsoft's servers.

Microsoft's Azure infrastructure suffered an outage at the beginning of the week, so I imagine this issue might somehow be related to that.  Are you by any chance using the Xbox Game Pass for PC?  I am, so I'm wondering if that's also part of the issue. The Microsoft Store otherwise seems to be working fine for me, as I can install other games using the Xbox Game Pass for PC but I should point out those were games I've never installed in the past.  I don't really want to try uninstalling and reinstalling anything else using the Store App until the problem's been solved.

At this point I think I've tried all I can on my end, so I'm just waiting to see if Microsoft can fix the issue from their end.

1 hour ago, stalz said:

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past four days.  

Hi Stalz,

Our experiences have been very similar - reset store app using power shell, trying XBox app instead of Store, etc. I've found that the XBox app does start out to download the entire program, but then switches to @ 1010 mb.  I didn't try a new account, and now I know not to bother.  I purchased FS through  their store, not as part of a Game Pass, but it is possible to use XBox to download as well as the Store.

One thing about the Digital Ownership thingy - it does install after the main program is supposedly installed, but doesn't make any difference.

In about 20 years of flight simming, including four previous versions of flight simulator (five if you count FSX Steam), many payware and freeware addons.  I have NEVER had such difficulty or encountered such a complete lack of support - two tickets filed on this problem, one three days ago, with no response.

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

8 hours ago, Mike777 said:

After many trials, tribulations and reinstalls it is now clear that the basic problem is that the fresh install download stops at a bit over one GB.  I've tried using both Microsoft Store and the XBox  app.  In the XBox App, the download shows 152 GB at  first.  But it always completes at  about 1 GB.  I've tried both wireless and Ethernet.  Windows 1909 is up to date.  I've made sure all MSFS related files are removed after each uninstall.  I cannot install on C drive (since it has FSX on it, among other things), so I try to install on D (which has plenty of room).  I succeeded with the initial installation and previous update.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to pjs37 and HiFlyer for earlier help on related issues.  But it is now clear that I need to be able to download the full file.

Your initial download should be approximately one gigabyte.

The installer will tell you that it needs a drive with at least 100-something GB

If you have the space or after you have made the space  on your C drive go ahead and hit yes.

The installer will then put a 1GB main file on your C drive.

After that it will tell you to start the game. What will happen then is it the game will give you the option of installing to a different Drive.

Go ahead and choose your different drive and install the bulk of the game.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

After that it will tell you to start the game. What will happen then is it the game will give you the option of installing to a different Drive.

Go ahead and choose your different drive and install the bulk of the game.

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately, when I start the game it goes to the Press Any Key To Start screen and I can never get beyond this.  When I press a key I get a brief spinning arrow in the lower right hand corner followed by the Press Any Key screen - same thing happens over and over.  Only difference is the first time I see Mount Fuji, thereafter just a black background to Press Any Key....

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

5 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately, when I start the game it goes to the Press Any Key To Start screen and I can never get beyond this.  When I press a key I get a brief spinning arrow in the lower right hand corner followed by the Press Any Key screen - same thing happens over and over.  Only difference is the first time I see Mount Fuji, thereafter just a black background to Press Any Key....

Try this and let's see what happens: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015955380-Stuck-on-Press-a-key-to-continue-

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

55 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Thanks, you had recommended that page to me in an earlier topic I posted.  I just tried the two remaining suggestions.  Still no success. 

It seems to me I should be able to do a fresh install by downloading the whole file, as I did when it was released.

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

7 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks, you had recommended that page to me in an earlier topic I posted.  I just tried the two remaining suggestions.  Still no success. 

It seems to me I should be able to do a fresh install by downloading the whole file, as I did when it was released.

When you deleted your previous installation, did you go to the main folder where it was installed and delete all files manually as well?

Devons rig

alsoo in  your  app/ roaming  folder  as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have deleted everything I could find:

C:\users\MY NAME\appdata\local\\packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

C:Program files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

C;\Program data\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-4129808838-1491229581-1481435924-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Sometimes I have to "take ownership" of a folder or file; occasionally I can't.  I am the administrator and only user of this computer.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

You might consider grabbing the free version of CCleaner and doing a registry clean...

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Devons rig

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  I have tried your suggestions as well as those in the MSFS Forums and in Zendesk support.   Unfortunately the program getting stuck at "Press any key" is a bug in MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319

The article says it is in the Windows 10 2004 update, but I had it in 1903 and I still have it in 2004.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

37 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  I have tried your suggestions as well as those in the MSFS Forums and in Zendesk support.   Unfortunately the program getting stuck at "Press any key" is a bug in MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319

The article says it is in the Windows 10 2004 update, but I had it in 1903 and I still have it in 2004.

strange  one  you got  here   maybe  you want  to  go  down  this  path   re  install  windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

done  this  myself   with  out  any  side  effects 🙂 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg