Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

Can't download and reinstall since update 1.9.3.0

Recommended Posts

After many trials, tribulations and reinstalls it is now clear that the basic problem is that the fresh install download stops at a bit over one GB.  I've tried using both Microsoft Store and the XBox  app.  In the XBox App, the download shows 152 GB at  first.  But it always completes at  about 1 GB.  I've tried both wireless and Ethernet.  Windows 1909 is up to date.  I've made sure all MSFS related files are removed after each uninstall.  I cannot install on C drive (since it has FSX on it, among other things), so I try to install on D (which has plenty of room).  I succeeded with the initial installation and previous update.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to pjs37 and HiFlyer for earlier help on related issues.  But it is now clear that I need to be able to download the full file.


 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump


 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past four days.  

I was able to install the update successfully, but wanted to move the installation to a different drive.  That worked for me before using the Store App but for some reason I couldn't move the installation a second time.  So I uninstalled, intending to just reinstall at the new location.  After that I couldn't reinstall MFS2020 on any of my drives.  As you mentioned, it fails after downloading about 1 GB but I noticed it also seems to fail to install the Digital Ownership component as well.  I've spent a few hours for each of the past three days trying different solutions, such as resetting the Microsoft Store, reinstalling the Xbox App, creating a new user account on my PC and trying to install under the new user but none of the common solutions seem to work.  I also tried some of the more involved solutions using PowerShell that people suggest will fix problems with the Store App, but none of them have solved the issue.  While searching for advice online I've noticed that there seems to have been a recent increase in the number of people reporting problems with the Store App over the past week, so I believe it's not a problem on my end but something's wrong with Microsoft's servers.

Microsoft's Azure infrastructure suffered an outage at the beginning of the week, so I imagine this issue might somehow be related to that.  Are you by any chance using the Xbox Game Pass for PC?  I am, so I'm wondering if that's also part of the issue. The Microsoft Store otherwise seems to be working fine for me, as I can install other games using the Xbox Game Pass for PC but I should point out those were games I've never installed in the past.  I don't really want to try uninstalling and reinstalling anything else using the Store App until the problem's been solved.

At this point I think I've tried all I can on my end, so I'm just waiting to see if Microsoft can fix the issue from their end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stalz said:

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past four days.  

Hi Stalz,

Our experiences have been very similar - reset store app using power shell, trying XBox app instead of Store, etc. I've found that the XBox app does start out to download the entire program, but then switches to @ 1010 mb.  I didn't try a new account, and now I know not to bother.  I purchased FS through  their store, not as part of a Game Pass, but it is possible to use XBox to download as well as the Store.

One thing about the Digital Ownership thingy - it does install after the main program is supposedly installed, but doesn't make any difference.

In about 20 years of flight simming, including four previous versions of flight simulator (five if you count FSX Steam), many payware and freeware addons.  I have NEVER had such difficulty or encountered such a complete lack of support - two tickets filed on this problem, one three days ago, with no response.

 

 

Edited by Mike777

 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mike777 said:

After many trials, tribulations and reinstalls it is now clear that the basic problem is that the fresh install download stops at a bit over one GB.  I've tried using both Microsoft Store and the XBox  app.  In the XBox App, the download shows 152 GB at  first.  But it always completes at  about 1 GB.  I've tried both wireless and Ethernet.  Windows 1909 is up to date.  I've made sure all MSFS related files are removed after each uninstall.  I cannot install on C drive (since it has FSX on it, among other things), so I try to install on D (which has plenty of room).  I succeeded with the initial installation and previous update.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to pjs37 and HiFlyer for earlier help on related issues.  But it is now clear that I need to be able to download the full file.

Your initial download should be approximately one gigabyte.

The installer will tell you that it needs a drive with at least 100-something GB

If you have the space or after you have made the space  on your C drive go ahead and hit yes.

The installer will then put a 1GB main file on your C drive.

After that it will tell you to start the game. What will happen then is it the game will give you the option of installing to a different Drive.

Go ahead and choose your different drive and install the bulk of the game.

Edited by HiFlyer

Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

After that it will tell you to start the game. What will happen then is it the game will give you the option of installing to a different Drive.

Go ahead and choose your different drive and install the bulk of the game.

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately, when I start the game it goes to the Press Any Key To Start screen and I can never get beyond this.  When I press a key I get a brief spinning arrow in the lower right hand corner followed by the Press Any Key screen - same thing happens over and over.  Only difference is the first time I see Mount Fuji, thereafter just a black background to Press Any Key....

Edited by Mike777

 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately, when I start the game it goes to the Press Any Key To Start screen and I can never get beyond this.  When I press a key I get a brief spinning arrow in the lower right hand corner followed by the Press Any Key screen - same thing happens over and over.  Only difference is the first time I see Mount Fuji, thereafter just a black background to Press Any Key....

 Try this and let's see what happens: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015955380-Stuck-on-Press-a-key-to-continue-


Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Thanks, you had recommended that page to me in an earlier topic I posted.  I just tried the two remaining suggestions.  Still no success. 

It seems to me I should be able to do a fresh install by downloading the whole file, as I did when it was released.

Edited by Mike777

 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks, you had recommended that page to me in an earlier topic I posted.  I just tried the two remaining suggestions.  Still no success. 

It seems to me I should be able to do a fresh install by downloading the whole file, as I did when it was released.

When you deleted your previous installation, did you go to the main folder where it was installed and delete all files manually as well?


Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alsoo in  your  app/ roaming  folder  as well


I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

 

Peter kelberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have deleted everything I could find:

C:\users\MY NAME\appdata\local\\packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

C:Program files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

C;\Program data\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-4129808838-1491229581-1481435924-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Sometimes I have to "take ownership" of a folder or file; occasionally I can't.  I am the administrator and only user of this computer.


 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might consider grabbing the free version of CCleaner and doing a registry clean...

https://www.ccleaner.com/

 


Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You might consider grabbing the free version of CCleaner and doing a registry clean...

https://www.ccleaner.com/

 

I was about to suggest this. Works like a charm and should help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  I have tried your suggestions as well as those in the MSFS Forums and in Zendesk support.   Unfortunately the program getting stuck at "Press any key" is a bug in MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319

The article says it is in the Windows 10 2004 update, but I had it in 1903 and I still have it in 2004.


 

                    bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  I have tried your suggestions as well as those in the MSFS Forums and in Zendesk support.   Unfortunately the program getting stuck at "Press any key" is a bug in MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319

The article says it is in the Windows 10 2004 update, but I had it in 1903 and I still have it in 2004.

strange  one  you got  here   maybe  you want  to  go  down  this  path   re  install  windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

 

done  this  myself   with  out  any  side  effects 🙂 

 


I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

 

Peter kelberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    33%
    $8,485.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...