Sign in to follow this  
ORN

That's all it took---3 gigs of memory and published tweaks....

Pretty much what the title said.3 gigs of quality DDR2 Crucial RAM, add a pinch of all the published tweaks in this forum, two shakes of reduced textures,and I have ended up with a most enjoyable FSX experience. That's all it took!Bottom line, ....you need LOTS of system memory resources for this edition of Flight Simulator. I'm now getting steady 18-20 FPS with heavy cloud produced by ASV 6.5This is my final post about my experience over the last 12 hours with my memory upgrade, and it being the true magic bullet for FSX usability.All scenery sliders full bore open. I upped AUTO-GEN to DENSE and still am getting consistent 18-20's. Some dips to 12-14, but very rare to do so.My weather is one notch above DEFAULT.A.I. at 50 percent (Commercial) Road Traffic at 33 percent (my personal preference)Ths sim is now drop-dead gorgeous with 18 FPS of great animation.FSX can be enjoyed on a three year old system. I'm proving it.Cheers, all---enjoy your copy.Dell Gen 3 P4 3.4 (Prescott Core)3 Gigs of Crucial PC-4200 (533 MHz)ATI X800XT 256 meg video cardAudigy 2 Sound card 5.1Samsung 931BF 19 inch LCD 2ms.Mitch R.

>Pretty much what the title said.>>3 gigs of quality DDR2 Crucial RAM, add a pinch of all theSo 2 gigs DDR 400 MHz dual channel won't be enough or?

Your DDR 400 will do fine, it is the PHYSICAL amount available to your system. You need 3 gigs with XP to really let your system shine with FSX.I added a gig at a time, and nothing much happened between one and two. But when a third gig was added...all H*** broke loose, :)For the good! BOOM---18 steady FPS. BOOM---Auto Gen could be used!That third was THE deal clincher, the last gig....Cheers!Mitch

Well if money counts my advice is to buy one Gig at a time, I got the boost described above when going from one to two Gigs :-)Eagle