Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

What's so special about MSFS 2020

1 hour ago, EGLD said:

welcome to the concept of "click bait" 😄

Yeah, I wanted to know how it feels to go viral on AVSIM. 😀

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

P3D: Addons needed to make the sim halfway decent

1. Basic global textures
2. Basic local textures
3. Mesh addons
4. Cloud addons
5. Shader addons
6. Rain drop addon
7. Rain effect on windshield addon
8. Synthetic vision system: addon purchase
9. Weather addons
10. Airport addons
11. Sound addons
12. Aircraft sounds on runway addon
13. Nav data: subsription addon
14. Live Traffic: Addon
15. Aircraft above the default plane: Addon
16. Decent camera and view system: another addon purchase

MSFS 2020: Addons needed to make the sim halfway decent:

And THAT's what makes MSFS special.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

1. Basic global textures
2. Basic local textures
3. Mesh addons
4. Cloud addons
5. Shader addons
6. Rain drop addon
9. Weather addons
10. Airport addons
11. Sound addons

Affordability is one thing, visuals another! Would MSFS be as successful if it looked like word not allowed.

I have a fully loaded P3D v4.5HF3 that is collecting dust because the visuals and feeling of flight has never been more evident than in MSFS 2020.

1) Scenery: Expensive payware such as FTXG/FTX LC/Trees/Mesh + ORBX Regions + TE add-ons and over 50 payware airports.

2) Over 100 payware Airports + Payware AI Traffic + FSDT GS

3) Weather by  ASP4, REX SkyForce + PTA. All payware and not cheap.

4) Utilities like payware Editvoicepack, Accufeel, and EZDOK.

5) Finally 50 payware simobjects. Some expensive and some affordable but they all cost money.

Yet, I still wake up and only think about loading MSFS 2020. There are some MSFS issues that I wish would just disappear, but I know that it will take either ASOBO, 3rd party developer, or the community intervention to fix these issues.

This platform has the freeware community of XP, affordable add-ons, and an ASOBO team that has told us that this is a 10 year plan.

To me, the sim is getting better everyday.

• Like 11

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The presentation of the environment, the topography and the colonization, the dynamic reproduction of meteorological, artificial and wildlife objects in MSFS is ingenious and revolutionary - the door to an new age of simulated travel and flight simulation.

There is indeed no way back from this excellent state of the art.

Like in every revolution there are some barricades and garbage left to be removed after the last gunsmoke is blown away - in my eyes loads of missing Navaids and airports, improvement and debugging of the (allready very revolutionary and for the most part pleasant) default aircraft and some tiny things more. After getting that done MSFS is going to be not only a fascinating, artistically demanding flight game but also an technologically satisfiing aircraft  simulation and operating platform for even more sophisticated air vehicle addons.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

I think primarily what everyone here wants is a flight simulator    

I’ve been a member of the forums for a few weeks, and I have to disagree strongly. 

Based on what I’ve seen, it’s absolutely clear that the only thing anyone in this forum wants is an argument. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Having the opportunity to go to France with my wife on business, we stayed in Amboise. It was a wonderful time. So the other day I was going through scenery in developer and I saw Chateau Royal in Amboise and said no way. Then saw Chambord. Jumped in the mooney and was off to see these spot on made landmarks and enjoy the memories. Thanks Adobo team.

Edited by 69Yanks

4 minutes ago, Dharma66 said:

I’ve been a member of the forums for a few weeks, and I have to disagree strongly. 

Based on what I’ve seen, it’s absolutely clear that the only thing anyone in this forum wants is an argument. 

Haha, thats a new thing that MSFS has brought here 😄 I agree with you on that tho

8 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Nice pic! I dont have the game yet and wanted to ask - can that fisheye camera mode be disabled?

Yes, it can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

1. Basic global textures
2. Basic local textures
3. Mesh addons
4. Cloud addons
5. Shader addons
6. Rain drop addon
9. Weather addons
10. Airport addons
11. Sound addons

All that and the performance comparison. I would not be able to run p3d with all those add-one and get the same performance as I do in msfs...I’m not sure why I get such good performance in comparison, but I do.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

13 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.....I'd have to be careful here....if this thread turned into a "show me the pic that made your jaw drop"...I'd have a hard time trying to pick which one...since the 1st few here were dramatic sunset shots....let me add mine....(one of them anyway...there have been so many!)

Cw9bQh.jpg

Hey, What host do you use to have your pics occupy the whole space? My pics once posted only fill 3/4 of the witdh of the screen, but they are 1080p shots so must be the host. not sure.

What makes this sim special to me?  Immersion.  Plain and simple.  Was flying a caravan into padq kodiak alaska the other day in dreadful conditions.  Ap flew the approach, captured the glideslope and started descending through the much, broke out in misty conditions with the white capped waves and could just see the ils lights a flashin in the distance.  Then started to hear the rain hitting the cockpit and streaming across the windshield.  Landed, taxied, shut off the engine and just sat there for a few minutes listening to the rain pattering on the plain and watching the drops hit the ground.

Conversely, alaska again, same area (it's rained for weeks in the kodiak area), flying through clouds climbing to 12,000 through gray dismal clouds.  Eventually a glimpse of blue off to my right and then I broke through.  Sun low in the sky ahead of me, nothing but a sea of clouds and just brilliant colors.

Again, for me personally it's the immersion.  Weather, sounds, the mountain wave turbulence, icing avoidance, avoiding storms or heavy turbulence etc...  this is the stuff I wanted from FSX in future iterations and then they shut it down, so to see them do this and to commit to nay plead for the community to help them make the sim we want, to me that's what makes this special.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Come back in a year and show us your list. A lot of what you've included for P3D isn't available (yet) in the 6 week old MSFS 2020 simulator.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

15 hours ago, speedyTC said:

Great eye candy

Why is every single knob or screen on an Avionics suite or FMC considered a vital component of a serious flight simulator, but a convincing out the window environment considered mere eye candy?  

If all you had was 100% fidelity of an instrument panel is that a flight simulator?  If the panel operated perfectly, but has no outside view would it still be a flight simulator? 

Does anyone really learn to fly so they can fly a stack of gauges?  I don’t know, I’m not a real pilot.  But what drives my interest in flight is not what’s happening on the panel in front of me, but rather what’s happening out the window around me.

THATS the flight part of flight simulator. Otherwise it’s just a gauge simulator.

Relegating the outside view as eye candy in the past made it easy for us to accept substandard visuals of the outside world.  It’s mere candy, we don’t need it, we tell ourselves.

I’ve heard flight instructors state that you can always spot a simmer, because of their obsession with the instrument panel.  That's a fair criticism.  

We focused on the panels because that’s what flight simulators traditionally excelled at.

Now for the first time we have a simulator that actually does an incredible job at tapping into that desire of flight, and our response is still to dismiss it.

Well, You can keep your panel simulators and study level aircraft.  I want to FEEL like I’m flying, and for that, the outside the window view is not mere candy, but a vital part of a serious simulation.

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Nice pic! I dont have the game yet and wanted to ask - can that fisheye camera mode be disabled?

Absolutely.   One of the first things I did as a screenshot enthusiast was play with the camera settings to achieve the best aspect ratio to get rid of the insidious fisheye look that most have just become comfortable with looking at.🤣

If folks would use about 79% (best I've found after a lot of fiddling)  in the "Showcase" (Drone) view....We'd be having that fish for dinner vs having to look thru its eye in this beautiful MSFS world. 🙂

Sadly it's set to 50% by default...and is not "Persistent" ....meaning you have to set it up every session....not a biggy though...about 3 seconds out of my life each time...worth it.

0meaxN.jpg

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg