Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Starting to explore different area-telluride- suggestions

I’m starting to wander around given msfs has quite the scenery to offer. I’m looking to fly to telluride (just cause I’ve never have before) looking for suggestions to take off from if any. I’ll be using the tbm and looking for something around 100 miles or so? Any suggestions as I’m not from that area and unfamiliar with it?

thx 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

3 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I’m starting to wander around given msfs has quite the scenery to offer. I’m looking to fly to telluride (just cause I’ve never have before) looking for suggestions to take off from if any. I’ll be using the tbm and looking for something around 100 miles or so? Any suggestions as I’m not from that area and unfamiliar with it?

thx 

Id say anywhere East of Telluride, as westbound is mostly flatlands.Maybe KCOS, Colorado Springs. 159Nm with MSA of roughly 15k feet so lots of mountains and valleys to see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Id say anywhere East of Telluride, as westbound is mostly flatlands.Maybe KCOS, Colorado Springs. 159Nm with MSA of roughly 15k feet so lots of mountains and valleys to see.

Thanks for pointing that out, was trying to avoid flatlands 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

If you want a relatively short flight from another nice airport in the mountains, do Aspen. KASE.

If you want a longer one coming up from the lower southern Rockies, try KSKX - Taos, NM. (note that if you use ATC, the runway db is messed up in ATC, which does not know that there are 2 runways. Also note that the cross runway is messed up in scenery because it wasn't finished yet the last time a sat pic was taken, so there are X's on it. You can ignore them as the runway is operational real-world). 

If you want an even longer one coming from the northern (northern US, anyway) Rockies, fly out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming - KJAC. Good scenery there - the Tetons are some impressive mountains.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eslader said:

If you want a relatively short flight from another nice airport in the mountains, do Aspen. KASE.

If you want a longer one coming up from the lower southern Rockies, try KSKX - Taos, NM. (note that if you use ATC, the runway db is messed up in ATC, which does not know that there are 2 runways. Also note that the cross runway is messed up in scenery because it wasn't finished yet the last time a sat pic was taken, so there are X's on it. You can ignore them as the runway is operational real-world). 

If you want an even longer one coming from the northern (northern US, anyway) Rockies, fly out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming - KJAC. Good scenery there - the Tetons are some impressive mountains.

Thanks for those recommendations, I will be flying these routes for sure!!

Do a flight from KPUB (Pueblo, CO) in the 172. I have flown into KTEX in a 172 in the summer, and it is a challenge with the altitude and the temps. Use the passes as the 172 (if modeled correctly) will not climb over the high peaks. Have fun!

• Like 2

Eagle County Regional Airport is another nice one that's not too far from Telluride. Just a bit further north of Aspen.

• Like 1

Another vote for KASE and KEGE, both great destinations with interesting approaches/departures.

If you like mountain flying, my absolute favourite route is through the Bow River Valley in the Canadian Rockies, CYBW-CYGE.  Just take off and follow the Trans-Canada highway west through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world (Banff, Lake Louise etc).

Edited by regis9
  • Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 10/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, regis9 said:

Another vote for KASE and KEGE, both great destinations with interesting approaches/departures.

If you like mountain flying, my absolute favourite route is through the Bow River Valley in the Canadian Rockies, CYBW-CYGE.  Just take off and follow the Trans-Canada highway west through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world (Banff, Lake Louise etc).

Being Canadian, Had to give CYBW-CYGE, great suggestion, was a great route to fly, coming into CYGE i had a hard time locating the field, flew over what looked to be a rail yard and caught it off to the right. I did exactly as you said, follow the trans Canada highway and it led me right to it...What a sim when you can pick out a landmark, follow it the whole way without missing a beat, and picking out small towns on the way..would have never been able to perform that flight in the way I did with my previous simulators!! I’ll be sure to try KASE-KEGE on my next one.

Cheers!

• Like 4

On 10/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, flyinpilot212121 said:

Thanks for pointing that out, was trying to avoid flatlands 

Hi! You could use OpenTopoMap to find an interesting area to fly.

OPT.png

or use Little Navmap to make your custom flight plan and import it to FS2020.

Edited by OSM
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

coming into CYGE i had a hard time locating the field

Part of the fun of approaching Golden from the east is that in order to be high enough to clear the mountains, you pretty much need to do a circling descent down into the airport...once you enter the valley it will be a fair ways below you!

I also do some train simming so I’ve had the opportunity to pull a train out of the Golden Yard looking at the airport, and then fly out of Golden looking at the rail yard . 🙂

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU