Sign in to follow this  
Bad_T

Another tool to organize your MSFS addons easily

I think this is a wonderful app. It does most of what I need very good. Thanks to the author! 

Now, if it could detect possible conflicts of add-ons, that would be something. I guess that would require lots of work. 

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

thanks Vic for updating the link on the first post

Kai, thanks for the clarification. I will try to find an explanation, i can also add very easily a standard 'collapse all' that will just open the the first node (the one called 'my addons', and everything below collapsed), but i tried something more 'experimental' to let you see all folders no matter where they are in the structure. Maybe it was a bit too much experimental 🙃 and needs some work. I will check that and i'll get back to you next week to try to find a solution. (in the meantime sent you a little link via private message for a more standard collapse)

NovemberUniform, thank you for the comment, i have not thought about that, if you were to do it by hand, what would be the rules to detect conflicts ? If it's detecting that two addons are modifying the same region then that's probably something i wouldn't be able to do because it would require decrypting the content of the addon to know what it does. Or were you thinking about something else ?

Thank you.

Edited by Bad_T

1 hour ago, Bad_T said:

if you were to do it by hand, what would be the rules to detect conflicts ?

Well, it's tough. That's why an automated solution would help immensely.

1 hour ago, Bad_T said:

Or were you thinking about something else ?

If I'm not mistaken, the layout.json holds all the info, which files are added to the virtual file system. It should be possible to look for duplicates in all the layout files activated by your tool. Of course, if you have a high number of packages installed, it requires a bit of processing. Maybe it's possible, not sure. 

• Like 1

cheers,
NiIs U.

ah yeah you are right, layout.json contains everything needed to check for duplicates, that could be possible and easy to do, i can add an option for that.

I was thinking that you were maybe looking for soemthing more complexe, like if you have 2 different addons for the same airport, something like that would be useful too but i wouldn't know how to do it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

possible and easy to do

In one of his mod descriptions @kaosfere explained that it's possible to replace only parts of files in the VFS, so it might not be THAT easy. But it sounds possible. 

cheers,
NiIs U.

yeah you're right, nothing is never easy, i was just thinking about comparing the content of layout.json file, probably just the names of the files but that would not even detect if you have twice the same mod installed in a different version (if both version contain different files). It would be also possible to read directly the files on disk without using the json file but the problem would be pretty much the same  ... need to think a bit about, when i see how many mods some people have installed, your idea of finding possible duplicates sounds good.

🙂

The program accomplishes it's task beautifully. Other than a little polish here and there I'd be wary of adding too many features that are not necessarily needed for the program to accomplish it's main task.    🙂 

Just a suggestion...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

15 hours ago, Bad_T said:

Kai, thanks for the clarification. I will try to find an explanation, i can also add very easily a standard 'collapse all' that will just open the the first node (the one called 'my addons', and everything below collapsed), but i tried something more 'experimental' to let you see all folders no matter where they are in the structure. Maybe it was a bit too much experimental 🙃

Good morning Bad_T,

no, it's not experimental at all, I'm loving experimenting and looking behind too, but I have a clearer overview at a first glance for quickly on - off-switching my sorted countries.

I have a suggestion: mybe it can be helpful deleting the content.xml and the folder scenery indexes in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe? The content.xml is keeping every entry which was set and will declare it as true, no matter, if the addon still exists. I don't know if there can be a performance increasing of the start process if there are valid entries written in only.

Kai

• Like 1

Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX z370-H Gaming, CPU: CoffeeLake I7 8700K @ 5,2Ghz
Gainward CardExpert RTX 2080Ti, Monitor: LG ULTRAWIDE(38UC99) 3840*1600

32 GB RAM DDR4 3200 GSkill, Intel OptaneMemory 32GB
Windows 10 pro, MSFS and P3Dv5.1

Deleted duplicate message

Edited by hvw
Duplicate message

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Bad_T,

Would it be possible to put the name of the active preset (if a preset is active) in the menu bar or somewhere else in the app?

Thanks,
Hans

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

vgbaron : no worry it will not become bloatware 😁

kai : i'm not really sure for now about touching/deleting the content.xml file. Probably it would be safe to do but for now, in these early versions, i prefer not to delete anything unless it's a link that was created by the tool. And thanks for the nice comments as always

hvw :  For now, you can see the currently applied preset name after you applied it in the right click menu (the name of the currently selected preset appears after 'update current preset' text), but i guess you would want to see it in a more visible part of the screen and maybe also when you launch the application (if all selected nodes match with one of your presets) ?

cercata : thank you !

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned here already, but here's a suggestion:   it would be cool to be able to view the thumbnail for a given package if present.  Would really help managing aircraft liveries.

• Like 1

good idea kaosfere, it just landed on the todo list 🙂

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

hvw :  For now, you can see the currently applied preset name after you applied it in the right click menu (the name of the currently selected preset appears after 'update current preset' text), but i guess you would want to see it in a more visible part of the screen and maybe also when you launch the application (if all selected nodes match with one of your presets) ?

Right, and perhaps it would come in handy to keep the selected preset highlighted in the presets menu? (Just an idea 🙂 )

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe