Sign in to follow this  
Bad_T

Another tool to organize your MSFS addons easily

Thanks, I have now updated my version and everything seems OK 👍. This is fantastic! So, in effect, I can virtually move anything that is in my " ...Packages\Official\Steam\ " folder out to my "MSFS Official Addons" folder that I created on another drive. Then Activate everything In "AddonLinker" (green) and leave it... MSFS2020 will treat the data is if it is physically in the Community folder (even though it is NOT)...and in the end I have reclaimed disk space on the MSFS2020 drive. I was also wondering if this possibly could impact the regular Asobo Update rollouts by doing this? Would I have to move everything back into the " ...Packages\Official\Steam\ " folder every time there is an Update?

Regards

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

well hmmm .. the 'official folder' linking was mainly developped for addons (for example bought from the marketplace or installed by 3rd party vendors), i wouldn't really avise anyone to start moving official files, it will probably work but it's not really something i would do myself. Not sure how it will react for updates so i wouldn't want that you to find out one day that it causes a problem.

That's also the reason why that option to link through the 'official folder' is a bit hidden in the 4th tab of the options screen and why there is a little text of warning 🙃.

I'm not sure if other users have done what you are describing with official FS files and passed through several updates without problems, i haven't so i can't really comment on that, but let's say the official word is 'it's probably better not to move official files around'. 😶

Logically that's exactly what would happen right? You'd move official things out of the official folder, MSFS thinks "it's not there" and start downloading again. For fun, I've moved EHAM out of the official folder and booted MSFS to see what would happen - sure enough, when reloading the sim it comes up with the "Update" screen and start downloading EHAM. So Bad_T is right, only move addons that were installed externally by third party providers out of the official folder if they have been installed there. Be mindful that some third party providers have their own ways of managing the currency of addons like Aerosoft and Orbx so moving them somewhere else could make that process a lot harder.

Edited by TheJAG

Thanks guys, I do not want to delve into the unknown and start messing with the official folder items. I will take your advice and only worry about 3rd party mod and purchased addons. Glad I asked. Appreciate the feedback.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

@Bad_T Hey, long time no contact, hope you are keeping well?

With MSFS now running for 7 months, yep, many addons installed! In the presets "Edit the currently selected preset" dialogue you have a standalone box that opens so you can edit what you want in MSFS for that play. Well, is it possible to have the folders in that box collapsed as the default, rather than open? EG you have **msfs addons** then you have the named folders which I have created a dozen or so. These are all open by default and it would be better to have them closed, so that you only open the sub-folders you want to work with.

At present with them all open, it is a tedious task each time you want to launch the sim to select what is wanted for that particular flight.

Thank

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Hello Martin, going well, hope the same for you 🍻

i have a little updated version that added a few buttons at the top of the preset screen (expand/collapse all / view only selected / select here), you can get the exe here (you still need all other files just replace the EXE file).

feel free to let me know if it's not good enough 👍

Edited by Bad_T
removed the link, looks like it contains a little bug

OK @Bad_T I placed it in the current folder and overwrote the previous. When launching as admin I get an unhandled exception message.

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

😱😱 ooops should work though, another user tested it before you and all was fine.. are you maybe using an old version or the last one available at flightstim.to ? If you had an older version, the EXE might not be compatible.

please send me via private message the full text of the error, thank you

Edited by Bad_T

@Bad_T It's on a different computer. I'll close here and set up another PC.

Martin Parr

for info and if someone else wants it, here's the fixed EXE (previous one had a little bug causing a crash if you had a folder in the community folder that was not managed by the tool). Just the EXE you still need all other files from flightsim.to.

https://gofile.io/d/qFqyUI

Edited by Bad_T

Hello. 

Didn't see it was mentioned here, I might have missed it, 30 pages topic. How can I link ORBX sceneries? Do I have to create or change ORBX library folder and place it in inside the folder I use for addons in Addon linker? 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

The ORBX sceneries I have were all linked automatically by ORBX to the Community folder although they were installed in a separate ORBX folder that I created. To summarize, you should not have to link them yourself.

13 hours ago, skysurfer said:

Hello. 

Didn't see it was mentioned here, I might have missed it, 30 pages topic. How can I link ORBX sceneries? Do I have to create or change ORBX library folder and place it in inside the folder I use for addons in Addon linker? 

I create folders for the Orbx products in my addons folder structure. I then create symlinks in these new folders to the actual Orbx files in the Orbx Library folders. I then delete any Orbx created symlinks in the MSFS Community folder. When I activate an Orbx scenery via the Addons Linker, it places a Junction entry in the community folder which points to my Addon Folder which in turn points to the Orbx library folder.

Sounds complicated but it's not really. And it means you can dynamically add/remove your Orbx sceneries along with everything else, but still let Orbx manage its own Libary.

NOTE: whenever Orbx updates a scenery via Orbx Central, it will place a new symlink in the community folder. Just delete that entry. Your own entry in your addons folders will still be valid.

Edited by andy1252
typo
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Thanks for the explanation Andy, I was wondering what the best process would be myself!

5 minutes ago, TheJAG said:

Thanks for the explanation Andy, I was wondering what the best process would be myself!

You're welcome. I can't imagine using MSFS without the Addons Linker. I have it set up to control the stuff I bought from the store that went in to the Official folder as well, I used it to create a group that lets me make all my Contrail managed stuff active for updates etc, all in addition to the basic switchin on of geographical groups of sceneries etc. You can create combinations of specific aircraft, liveries and sceneries, and all sorts of other weird and wonderful setups. Absolute magic!

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.