Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Wow, what altitude do they expect for the Japan Tour flight?

Not sure if it's something wrong with my data streaming or I was expecting too much out of the Japan update.  Took off and chose 5500 feet as there was no suggestion on what altitude to use.  Noticed right away the ground texture NE of departure the farm fields and small towns were fairly blurry.  I thought this update was supposed to be updating all that stuff?  Should I be flying this flight higher? Lower?  I turned off rolling cache to see if that was the issue but no change.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Not sure might be your internet.  I flew from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji and everything looked nice.

3 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

Not sure might be your internet.  I flew from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji and everything looked nice.

Maybe it's the stuff outside the more major areas like that.  I'm talking about the "discovery flight" that takes off from Nagasaki way to the SW and takes 2.5 hours.  Here's an example from 7500 feet but same as what I saw at 5500 about 50 miles back.

5cRfUcn.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Notice how those fields look like noisy JPG compressed images.

2 minutes ago, flyinion said:

Maybe it's the stuff outside the more major areas like that.  I'm talking about the "discovery flight" that takes off from Nagasaki way to the SW and takes 2.5 hours.  Here's an example from 7500 feet but same as what I saw at 5500 about 50 miles back.

5cRfUcn.jpg

yea, noticed that too, im doing my own tour, with the Mooney, and indeed some textures colors looks a bit washed out, but to be honest, it still looks amazing, the landclass, the mesh etc.

3 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

yea, noticed that too, im doing my own tour, with the Mooney, and indeed some textures colors looks a bit washed out, but to be honest, it still looks amazing, the landclass, the mesh etc.

Yeah other than that it looks great, also looks pretty good in external view zoomed all the way out, I just happened to look out the side window while in the cockpit and was like "what the heck is that about" lol.

So I guess they just still have not as good res Satellite textures and it was just mesh, building, etc. that got updated.  I checked near my home airport of KSMF and stuff looks as expected, a bit fuzzy up close but pretty good up high (5000 feet).  I then immediately reloaded the flight to 5000 AGL just East of Nagasaki but not as part of the tour just went there.  First pic is the kind of thing that made me post originally on this.  Second is the roads, even flying over Tokyo to land at RJTT the roads looked like this.  The  ground texture did look a bit sharper though.

Outside Nagasaki:

6ZLQpl0.jpg

Roads in the same area:

jVsApMP.jpg

That happens all over the world not just Japan. There is a massive thread on the official forums about it. Basically when you get above 4000ft, it’s a low res mess. Especially more so for old/existing users of ortho4xp. 

They did mention in the recent QA that this is something they hope to fix. 

PS

try and fly above any airport and look directly down at the runway. it’s a pixelated mess. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

Sebastian did address the issue of LOD being reduced in recent patches and said that they didn't mess with the LOD sliders from their end (whether you want to believe that is up to you) and that the blurriness could be some LOD streaming bug which they might've missed. He said he'd look in to it, as well as look into expanding the draw distance significantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That happens all over the world not just Japan. There is a massive thread on the official forums about it. Basically when you get above 4000ft, it’s a low res mess. Especially more so for old/existing users of ortho4xp. 

They did mention in the recent QA that this is something they hope to fix. 

PS

try and fly above any airport and look directly down at the runway. it’s a pixelated mess. 

Yeah I noticed that big time.  Also, it seems partly just the Japan scenery.  I noticed the Mt. Fuji splash screen if you look carefully in the lower right corner, it looks just like what I'm seeing.  It definitely could be that LOD bug for sure, my home area definitely seems not as sharp, but having better imagery to start with probably helped me not notice it as much I guess.  Also haven't had much time until the last 24 hours to fly since the patch so that could be playing into me just noticing it as well.

1 hour ago, FAZZ3 said:

Sebastian did address the issue of LOD being reduced in recent patches and said that they didn't mess with the LOD sliders from their end (whether you want to believe that is up to you) and that the blurriness could be some LOD streaming bug which they might've missed. He said he'd look in to it, as well as look into expanding the draw distance significantly.

Yeah I saw that.  I have to say, assuming they're not just blowing smoke, I actually came away from catching up on that video finally on Friday night feeling a lot better even though there are still a ton of bugs.  I got the impression at least that they really do want to fix it and are working towards that.  Only time will tell, but for now at least I guess I'll try to be a bit more patient.  

• Like 2