Sign in to follow this  
HarryS

Crash To Desktop fsInsider64.dll

Gidday,

Just had a crash to desktop. Faulting module was fsInsider64.dll as shown below.

Never had that before.

Running P3DV4.5 HF2

Any thoughts?

Application: Prepar3D.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFC15897539
Stack:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.5.13.32097, time stamp: 0x5d8abf93
Faulting module name: fsInsider64.dll, version: 2.8.5.5, time stamp: 0x5ef635a4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000007539
Faulting process id: 0x2724
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69a1f006e00b8
Faulting application path: D:\P3DV4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: D:\P3DV4\fsInsider64.dll
Report Id: b73850e7-a99c-4f88-8363-47a3ac863fa0
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.5.13.32097, time stamp: 0x5d8abf93
Faulting module name: fsInsider64.dll, version: 2.8.5.5, time stamp: 0x5ef635a4
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000007539
Faulting process id: 0x2724
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69a1f006e00b8
Faulting application path: D:\P3DV4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: D:\P3DV4\fsInsider64.dll
Report Id: f758c496-0cc2-405c-bd9b-f37fdf9a97ba
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Harry

Harry S. | System Builder

I7-9700K @ 5Ghz, AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard, Corsair 240mm H100i Platinum AIO CPU Cooler, AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Graphics, HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x Samsung 1TB SSD, 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B QHD Monitor, Cooler Master MasterCase H500 Case, Cooler Master 1000 Watt PSU, Win10, MSFS, Saitek/Logitech X52 Pro

Yes, clearly points to our module.

The dll hasn't changed for about 3 months and didn't get similar reports neither here nor via e-mail.

If using a USB headset, make sure it's plugged to a reliable USB port at the back of the PC and not via a USB hub or the front connectors.

For instance, if the connection is loose and the device disappears even for a few millisec, the connection the dll established with the audio system so it can play the humming background noise (when PTT is down down) could be lost and maybe endup with this scenario.

Need more info.

Did it happen while interacting with ATC (which supported ATC?) and using DELETE or joystick button as PTT?

Did you unplug headset in the middle of the flying session or something like that?

Which supported aircraft did tis happen with?

Thanks

The plane was PMDG 747-8F on final to KSDF with MCE muted (NumLock)
ATC was Radar Contact with William voice and was not interacting at the time.
Headset is plug-in not USB and was plugged in the entire flight.

The crash was a one-off after many flights so not really all that concerned. Just thought I'd report it.

Harry S. | System Builder

I7-9700K @ 5Ghz, AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard, Corsair 240mm H100i Platinum AIO CPU Cooler, AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Graphics, HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x Samsung 1TB SSD, 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B QHD Monitor, Cooler Master MasterCase H500 Case, Cooler Master 1000 Watt PSU, Win10, MSFS, Saitek/Logitech X52 Pro

Just had that too on takeoff from PAOM, not interacting with atc and have usb headset but nothing altered/unplugged for turn around flight...ctd after selecting and completing wheels up on second flight in day time.

I7-4790k 16GB gtx1070

P3dv5.1

MCE 2.8.9.1

8 hours ago, shaneb777 said:

Just had that too on takeoff from PAOM, not interacting with atc and have usb headset but nothing altered/unplugged for turn around flight...ctd after selecting and completing wheels up on second flight in day time.

I7-4790k 16GB gtx1070

P3dv5.1

MCE 2.8.9.1

Prepar3D V5 is known to occasionally crash, mostly due to exhausted GPU memory, which can happen under specific conditions, difficult to replicate.

Lockheed Martin will test their sim at max settings and high resolution and it checks out, so they could say 8 GB will do.

Throw in a heavy aircraft like PMDG, heavy scenery like ORBX and you really won't know for sure when you'll be hitting that limit.

MCE runs mostly as an external process to the sim for better stability, and to pevent speech engine consuming flight simulator memory resources.

It is fairly stable as it has been fine tuned over more than a decade.

The only times where it could crash the sim is when there is a new P3D release. Like moving from 5.1 to 5.2

If you have aggressive anti-virus like Malwarebytes or Bitdefender, I suggest you tell them to trust "Prepar3D.exe"

If you are able to reproduce the crash continuously with same set of conditions, would be more than happy to look at it.

Unless the crash report points at fsInsider64.dll specifically, as per OP input, it's hard to read too much into a simulator crash.

It is after all, the main reason users prefer to remain on V4. You need a 12 GB VRAM GPU in my opinion and even then you're only one turn to final into a heavy airport from CTD as LM wouldn't have tested things with all combinations of add-ons..

Not that it matters for this case (fsInsider64.dll hasn't been updated since P3D V5.1 came out), I suggest you update to V2.8.9.4 anyway.

Just download this patch, unzip and manually replace files inside \Multi Crew EXperience\ folder.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, FS++ said:

Prepar3D V5 is known to occasionally crash, mostly due to exhausted GPU memory, which can happen under specific conditions, difficult to replicate.

Lockheed Martin will test their sim at max settings and high resolution and it checks out, so they could say 8 GB will do.

Throw in a heavy aircraft like PMDG, heavy scenery like ORBX and you really won't know for sure when you'll be hitting that limit.

MCE runs mostly as an external process to the sim for better stability, and to pevent speech engine consuming flight simulator memory resources.

It is fairly stable as it has been fine tuned over more than a decade.

The only times where it could crash the sim is when there is a new P3D release. Like moving from 5.1 to 5.2

If you have aggressive anti-virus like Malwarebytes or Bitdefender, I suggest you tell them to trust "Prepar3D.exe"

If you are able to reproduce the crash continuously with same set of conditions, would be more than happy to look at it.

Unless the crash report points at fsInsider64.dll specifically, as per OP input, it's hard to read too much into a simulator crash.

It is after all, the main reason users prefer to remain on V4. You need a 12 GB VRAM GPU in my opinion and even then you're only one turn to final into a heavy airport from CTD as LM wouldn't have tested things with all combinations of add-ons..

Not that it matters for this case (fsInsider64.dll hasn't been updated since P3D V5.1 came out), I suggest you update to V2.8.9.4 anyway.

Just download this patch, unzip and manually replace files inside \Multi Crew EXperience\ folder.

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply in which i mostly agree with. Long been aware of p3dv5 limitations, i have for quite some time dialed down settings so memory does not ever excede 4.0 gb (of 8gb vram), so most flights 2.7-3.2gb, with frames averaging 20-40. Also only use win10 defender but long ago excluded prepar3d.exe. But even though i upgraded mce since posting above to 2.8.9.4, p3d ctd twice more with mce files listed as the cause (once when mce co-pilot went to reply to atc and once just as the mce program nearly finished loading up), so i changed airport from the p3d defaults of PAOM to PAFA, and then no problem flying PAFA-CYZF, so perhaps mce does not like some airports? To be fair to your great program, most ctd flights for me are due to the simconnect window opening, especially GSX, sometimes ATC (default) and occasionally Active Sky (but not since they dumped simconnect).

I will try to log more details next time mce is showing as the ctd cause.

Regards,

Shane Burrows

2 hours ago, shaneb777 said:

so perhaps mce does not like some airports? To be fair to your great program, most ctd flights for me are due to the simconnect window opening, especially GSX, sometimes ATC (default) and occasionally Active Sky (but not since they dumped simconnect).

I will try to log more details next time mce is showing as the ctd cause.

Regards,

Shane Burrows

It shouldn't matter at which airport this happens. MCE doesn't look at AFCADS or things like that. It does automatically trigger the GSX window though as soon as MCE is up and running, as well as the ATC window, so might be connected to the Simconnect issue you're having..

I suggest you make sure your Simconnect installation is sound as well as DirectX installation.

Simconnect wouldn't break just like that, and is normally guaranteed to work in all P3D vesions.

MCE only uses Simconnect to create and add a menu to P3D <Add-ons> menu. The only calls that are made to it is when you click that menu. Try to start and shutdown MCE via the menu to see if you can trigger anything.

OK, update to this after multiple flights is im still getting the random ctd with p3d 5.1, mostly when using "call the crew" in options or direct via clicking mce.exe. Happens as it triggers the GSX / atc windows....does it really need to involve them?.

Would be great if mce was independent of simconnect like Active Sky now is.

-Shane Burrows