Sign in to follow this  
Jay R

Vista RC2 and FSX

Ok usually I could figure this out but I am a little stumped here.I just installed and updated Vista RC2, with the latest Nvidia Beta drivers, SB Audigy Drivers among others. FSX installs fine and activates as expected. However with the Aero interface enabled, FSX whether in Full screen or Windowed has issues rendering. In full screen I got a flashing image that looks like the old 16 color RGB monitors. In Windowed I see the image and here the sound but get no image response, as if it were frozen up. Maybe its me. maybe its my PC, maybe Vista isn't ready for primetime, I don't know. One thing I also noticed FSX installed DrectX9C on install, that was interesting.Now I switched to the 'Classic' windows interface, and boom issues gone. But Vista is freakin ugly. Has anyone else with Vista RC2 had this issue with FSX?Do not see this in XP at all.Specs for those curious:P4 3.2ghz (@3.4ghz)1GB Ram / WD 300GBBFG 6800 GS 128MB2 - 19-inch Dell LCDs[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="2" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]

If FSX installed Directx 9c, you need to blow away your copy of Vista RC2 and reinstall. This happened to me with RC1 where I was trying compatability and installed Direct 9 August release and even trying to reinstall the DirectX caused more problems that it was worth.Vista comes with DirectX 10 and won't work without it. Installing DirectX 9 will cause you to have a hybrid installation of DX10 and that, as they say, is that.

I was under the impression that DX10 is not built into vista for now. I heard it was shipping with DX9 and DX10 would be a patch that is going to be added later on. I have played with it extensively at work in a work environment which means no games and haven't even looked to see what version of DX comes with RC2. I'll run dxdiag tomorrow and see for sure. You might want to run it on your box and see if it's 9 or 10...

Thats interesting you would think Vista would not allow DX9C to be installed. I did the DXdiag and the results return DX10. I will blow it away and see what happens but I don't know, I really don't know if that will be the solution.Here is the proof.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160675.jpgThanks for any further input you may have.Jason

Good to know for sure. I've read numerous reports that said DX10 was not shipping with Vista. Everything else I read said that games ran poorly as well so i never bothered to check.

I have read the same. So far Call Of Duty 2 and FSX run like crap on Vista.I do have 2 seperate Windows XP installs on my machine, in addition to the Vista Ultimate on a seperate HD. By far Windows XP outperforms Vista. I will be looking at this closely as time progresses to see where my money should go.[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="2" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]

Guest Valkyrie321

This is exactly why I wait for second generation things to come around. I learned my lesson the hard with with Windows ME... I am NOT going to be getting a first generation DX10 card, nor will I be using Vista upon its initial release. Typically, I only purchase into something after reading lengthy reviews (which I did happily for FSX).

OK, an update. It is indeed the Windows 3D Aero interface that is hitting performance. Vista rates your machine on the initial install out of a possible 5.0, my machine rates a 4.3, the weakeast rating my video card at 4.3, everything else, Hard drive speed (4.9), memory (4.5)seem to be ok. It's quite possible, my video card (6800 GS 128MB) is not quite up to snuff to handle it all.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160676.jpg

You'll notice the Aero is gone, replaced with Vista Basic.

After changing to Vista Basic from Aero, FSX perf is matching Windows XP, and in some areas beats it. I was able to leave the default settings, enable aircraft shadows (on itself), dense Autogen, and have the water set at MED Version 2.0, all AI at 25%, and maintain a respectable 15 FPS at and around KMIA. No blurries, and a stutter here and there, but barely noticable.I am going to continue to play with it and see where it goes, i'll post up some pictures tomorrow when I have more time to do so.[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="2" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]

Just a side question, where are people still getting RC2 from? I have RC1 installed but RC2 was taken down so quickly I didn't have a chance to get it.

Note: the readme for FSX says:Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Windows VistaFlight Simulator X is designed to run on the Windows Vista operating system. Flight Simulator X was released prior to the completion of Windows Vista.

Guest triangle

>Just a side question, where are people still getting RC2>from? I have RC1 installed but RC2 was taken down so quickly>I didn't have a chance to get it.Torrent sites I'd say :-)

>>Just a side question, where are people still getting RC2>>from? I have RC1 installed but RC2 was taken down so>quickly>>I didn't have a chance to get it.>>Torrent sites I'd say :-)You know what buddy, I take offence to that remark. How dare you jump to the conclusion I got this from a torrent link. I never have and never will have anything to do with piracy.For your information I have an MSDN subscription, that I use for testing and project preperation for my clients.Next time be careful what you accuse people off. Man this ticked me off. :-fume[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="2" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]

Speaking on behalf on REGISTERED MSDN UNIVERSAL MEMBERS EVERYWHERE...I'd say you don't know jack.If you don't know the answer to something, keep quiet until someone comes along who does, it will make going through life a lot less painful.

Jason:You have to be very careful and make SURE that any games that you install in Vista do not attempt to place DX9 into Vista.If you have an MSDN subscription you can also keep a install of the DirectX 10 SDK handy becuase that includes the DX10 runtime files. But also remember that your video card drivers and sound card drivers contain DirectX 10 drivers of their own and I found that even installing the DirectX runtime didn't resolve all the anomalies that I got after corrupting my DX10 install mistakenly with DX9. I agree, it should not even let you install it in the first place!There is a version of DirectX9 specifically for Vista - DirectX9L that will run DX9 games faster in Vista than the currect DirectX9 emulation under DX10. This was the hope to all XP users that DirectX 9L would be a DX10 emulation for XP...but Microsoft has clarified this and slammed the door to any DX10 emulation under XP. You want DX10, you gotta shell out the clams for Vista.I think you will find DirectX9L on MSDN.