Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

2.8 Million Views of your Lear

Hi Folks,

Been MIA for a while - I know...

Here's an interesting tidbit I recently came across.

Nearly 2.8 million views of our beloved Lear on Youtube:

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks for posting, the flight-channel does a great  job reenacting these unfortunate plane accidents.

Trouble shoot a pressurization problem at 30,000 plus feet first without putting on supplemental oxygen, how did that one slip by! You would be lucky to even get your mask on in time!

Cheers

Martin 

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Been MIA for a while - I know...

Scott

Hey Scott -- really good to hear from you!

Al

4 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

Thanks for posting, the flight-channel does a great  job reenacting these unfortunate plane accidents.

Trouble shoot a pressurization problem at 30,000 plus feet first without putting on supplemental oxygen, how did that one slip by! You would be lucky to even get your mask on in time!

Cheers

Martin 

3 hours ago, ark said:

Hey Scott -- really good to hear from you!

Al

Hi Martin/Al,

Thanks gents - yeah - poking around on what's new as I haven't kept up. From what I've read - it seems there is no real rush to leave P3D which I enjoy immensely...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

it seems there is no real rush to leave P3D which I enjoy immensely...

I would have to agree! 

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Martin/Al,

Thanks gents - yeah - poking around on what's new as I haven't kept up. From what I've read - it seems there is no real rush to leave P3D which I enjoy immensely...

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

I bought MSFS despite all its current problems because I wanted to see how it worked with the Beta version of FSUIPC7, which, BTW, is still available for free. Unfortunately, the current MSFS version of Simconnect has its problems which impacts the utility of FSUIPC7 and Lua scripts. For example, due to a Simconnect bug (or bugs) FSUIPC7 can't read the Numpad keys correctly which many of my Lua scripts use. There are also problems displaying Lua script messages via Simconnect. A number of developers like A2A and PMDG have come out and said in effect that they cannot currently develop their typical "study level" a/c for MSFS given the current state of the MSFS SDK.

I expect MSFS to be much better in 6 months to a year, but right now it is a disappointment to me, and many others. And to be fair, there are those who are generally happy with MSFS, mainly I think because of the impressive scenery. And without doubt it does have outstanding scenery, but it is hard to think right now of anything else it reliably does better then P3D for most simmers. Someone described the current version of MSFS as a "Scenery Simulator", which is not to far off IMO.  Before the release, there were great expectations for MSFS because of the impressive PR/video campaign, and lots of posts along the lines of "finally, a sim you can just load and go", or, "no more 3rd party addons needed", or, "finally, no more sim tweaking!". However, reality has struck and what we have right now is just the opposite with creative folks trying to modify the default planes to improve their flight handling characteristics, or to get the Garmin G1000/G3000 avionics working correctly, or trying to make the autopilots work correctly, etc. All flight sims have bugs and growing pains, but never has there been such a stark contrast between initial expectations and reality.   MSFS is admittedly a massive undertaking and just needs a lot more development time even though it had apparently been under 'secret' development for a number of years.

My $0.02.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ark said:

Scott,

I bought MSFS despite all its current problems because I wanted to see how it worked with the Beta version of FSUIPC7, which, BTW, is still available for free. Unfortunately, the current MSFS version of Simconnect has its problems which impacts the utility of FSUIPC7 and Lua scripts. For example, due to a Simconnect bug (or bugs) FSUIPC7 can't read the Numpad keys correctly which many of my Lua scripts use. There are also problems displaying Lua script messages via Simconnect. A number of developers like A2A and PMDG have come out and said in effect that they cannot currently develop their typical "study level" a/c for MSFS given the current state of the MSFS SDK.

I expect MSFS to be much better in 6 months to a year, but right now it is a disappointment to me, and many others. And to be fair, there are those who are generally happy with MSFS, mainly I think because of the impressive scenery. And without doubt it does have outstanding scenery, but it is hard to think right now of anything else it reliably does better then P3D for most simmers. Someone described the current version of MSFS as a "Scenery Simulator", which is not to far off IMO.  Before the release, there were great expectations for MSFS because of the impressive PR/video campaign, and lots of posts along the lines of "finally, a sim you can just load and go", or, "no more 3rd party addons needed", or, "finally, no more sim tweaking!". However, reality has struck and what we have right now is just the opposite with creative folks trying to modify the default planes to improve their flight handling characteristics, or to get the Garmin G1000/G3000 avionics working correctly, or trying to make the autopilots work correctly, etc. All flight sims have bugs and growing pains, but never has there been such a stark contrast between initial expectations and reality.   MSFS is admittedly a massive undertaking and just needs a lot more development time even though it had apparently been under 'secret' development for a number of years.

My $0.02.

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for all your valuable insights - yeah - the scenery while nice to have - is the lowest priority on my totempole.

I need to get another HOTAS as the one I had was getting flakey - part of the reason for my absence.

Regards,
Scott

58 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

I need to get another HOTAS as the one I had was getting flakey - part of the reason for my absence.

Hi Scott,

I am looking to upgrade my yoke from the Saitek unit I have had 'forever', and am seriously considering the Fulcrum unit which is about to start shipping in the next week or two. It uses Hall sensors instead of pots, has + - 180 degs of travel in roll, and a realistic 8" of travel in pitch.. The layout of buttons on the yoke horns seems good, and it is about half the price of some of the more expensive yokes like the Yoko which are in the $1000+ range.  So just FYI if you haven't seen it: https://www.fulcrumsim.com/

Another option that many like is the Honeycomb yoke, but I don't care for it. It still uses pots, has the same limited travel in pitch as the Saitek, and uses fixed On/Off switches (instead of momentary contact switches) which are not particularly convenient from a Lua scripting point of view. I also don't like that it has labeled switches (e.g., L and R Mag switch) which while appropriate for typical light GA aircraft, don't fit a/c like the Lear35. One could program such switches for other uses, but the labeling would then be wrong which would bother me (personal quirk). I also don't care for the overall look of the unit, but it is a popular unit and is priced below the Fulcrum.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

Hi Al,

Thanks for this as well - let :e poke around...

Regards,

Scott