desbean

RTX 3080 vs RX 5700 XT

The 3080 is almost double the price.

Edited by desbean

1 hour ago, desbean said:

The 3080 is almost double the price.

And it's exactly double fps in this video. 🙂

• Like 3

AMD need to work on their reputation in corporate for poor drivers and reliability.  it is well and good to corner the enthusiast high end market but their penetration into business is abysmal. 

For an enthusiast buying just the one card, the likelihood of issues with AMD in their particular setup is quite low and if there does happen to be a glitch a weekend spent sorting it out is not a big issue.  In corporate It only takes the occasional machine or server with time consuming driver issues for IT departments to simply avoid them.  We service several hundred machines and servers at work and getting approval to buy anything AMD is next to impossible, telling them "I have had several at home and had no issues" does not really sway them much.

30 minutes ago, crimplene said:

And it's exactly double fps in this video. 🙂

Indeed. But it all depends on whether you need those extra frames. everyone is different, but my brain can quite happily cope with 30fps and even slightly lower than that without it being jarring. For others it's a bigger issue. I'm certainly happy with my 5700XT, and so far MSFS is the only thing on this PC which is stretched to that degree. And since MSFS started being patched, my frame rates have increased to as high as the mid forties (sometimes 50s) and rarely now dropping to juddering rates, only then in the most challenging sceneries (such as heavily "Googled" areas).

The 3080 is way outside my price range, and I'm not bothered by that. This PC is almost exclusively for MSFS anyway. I have a PS4 for anything else I want (though it's been weeks since I last used it, thanks to MSFS!).

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Considering what the RTX 3080 brings to the tabe for DX12 Ultimate I think it is worth the extra coin. The RTX 3080 with 20 GB of memory is what I am waiting for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

AMD need to work on their reputation in corporate for poor drivers and reliability. 

I'd been using nvidia cards for 15 years or more (and 3dfx before nvidia bought them), despite being almost exclusively an AMD CPU user since I got my first PC in 1999/2000. In fact, only that first PC and one of my current (home-built) ones has an Intel inside. This is my first PC with an AMD GPU, which I suppose goes to show that the cultural influence of what should and shouldn't be used is a bit irrational, whether in business or personal use. Why otherwise have I never used an AMD GPU before now?

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

When I built my Gateway as opposed to an off the shelf system I had a Voodoo 2 that sat next to an ATI All-in-Wonder. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenG said:

When I built my Gateway as opposed to an off the shelf system I had a Voodoo 2 that sat next to an ATI All-in-Wonder. 

Retro! And you just reminded me I did have and All-In-Wonder at one stage, so in a sense I did  have an AMD card as that's who bought them out.  I do have a bit of a post 2000 PC component museum up in the attic.😁

31 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Why otherwise have I never used an AMD GPU before now?

In corporate it is very much proven reliability and stability that drives the tendency to stick with Nvidia and Intel. If a server going down will cost you $10K plus an hour you do not take risks. Jay2cents in a video back in June titled "Why are people still buying Intel" discusses this exact topic in detail.  Even if the alleged reliability issues are not real, corporate buyers will not risk it just to save a few dollars.

For personal use the occasional driver issue is not really that relevant.  I think the real issue here is Intel/nvidia users are familiar with those product lines and branding and what fits where, whilst to these guys the AMD lineup  is just a confusing batch of numbers.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

9 minutes ago, KenG said:

Yep and 3DFX was bought by nVidia. 

As I stated.😉

22 hours ago, KenG said:

Wow! A flash from the past.   I remember using the Voodoo 2 card to fly Rowan Software's "Mig Alley" back in the day.  I made quite a number of mods for it, under the "AxA" alias.  (just checked and still have them saved.)

Alexander Alonso

Curious why they bothered with this comparison, when the series 6000 cards are and were just a short time away from the 3080 reveal.

Edited by conundrum

Well AMD is going to announce there 6000 card (big Navi) at the end of the month. I would like to see how it fairs in comparison. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Good God!

Who would even consider AMD cards at this point?

Chris Camp