Sign in to follow this  
Bosco19

I've reverted to zero on the Sensitivity sliders!

Right after purchase I noted suggestions to back off the sensitivity sliders to get smoother ops. I had mine backed off as much as 85%, but it never really solved anything for me. My AC continued to jerk and twitch rather violently, taking much of the pleasure out of flying.  I don't think that exponential curve really helps. Today I reverted all sliders back to ZERO and found that response was much more pleasant and realistic. The down-side? You must be very gentle and precise on the controls. Avoid big and sudden moves. Smoothness is key. For average maneuvers you probably don't need to move your controls more than a few degrees away from center. This may not work as well for you if your controllers don't use Hall-effect sensors, but it's worth a try. It's made flying more pleasurable for me.

• Like 5

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

1 hour ago, Bosco19 said:

Today I reverted all sliders back to ZERO and found that response was much more pleasant and realistic.

You are absolutely right - Must be "ZERO"!

Also, very important to have a good joystick and pedals. IMHO, with Gamepad impossible to feel "realism".

P.S. I use Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas.

Edited by OSM
  • Like 1

The issue is the limited movement you get on most flightsim controllers.

The solution if you can afford it is one of these, it has 8" elevator travel,  a 180 degree wheel  and whilst dearer than a Honeycomb - heaps cheaper than a Yoko or Brunner:

• Like 3

By contrast, I am not assigning any axis at all in MSFS, but following P_Bambou's messages here, my controllers are setup using vJoy Curves and I told MSFS to keep their clumsy hands off, LOL.

It sure flies nice now, just like FSX only I set the response even milder. Let's face it all of the historical FS versions made you be gentle on the elevator or float away like a feather when landing without aides. So full elevator serves little purpose, and I can live without full ailerons.

And I have another knob for taxi rudder (any axis knob or lever will do for an additional rudder controller to the floor pedals). And I set that little axis knob to full rudder movement (using MSFS) but the main floor pedals to never generate full rudder (using VJoy Curves). That way I have full rudder movement if necessary (taxing, or in a flying crosswind). The knob is a yaw axis but that works just as if it were a yaw trim or as if an axis.

Vjoy Curves (Xedoc) must install following either VJoy  (Headsoft) or vJoy (Shaul Eizikovich) and I use the latter vJoy by Shaul. I could not make Headsoft version work well. vJoy or VJoy makes the virtual axis, and Vjoy Curves allows calibrating them most any way you want. A screen on the right shows you what you have just adjusted, (the 'trim' thingee is really a centering adjustment, so that center stick is really exact center aileron flap position etc).

All of 3 of these (Vjoy Curves, VJoy, and vJoy) are freeware, and can be downloaded from the Vjoy Curves main page (XedocProject).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

Right after purchase I noted suggestions to back off the sensitivity sliders to get smoother ops. I had mine backed off as much as 85%, but it never really solved anything for me. My AC continued to jerk and twitch rather violently, taking much of the pleasure out of flying.  I don't think that exponential curve really helps. Today I reverted all sliders back to ZERO and found that response was much more pleasant and realistic. The down-side? You must be very gentle and precise on the controls. Avoid big and sudden moves. Smoothness is key. For average maneuvers you probably don't need to move your controls more than a few degrees away from center. This may not work as well for you if your controllers don't use Hall-effect sensors, but it's worth a try. It's made flying more pleasurable for me.

Thats exactly how I have mine setup since the alpha and that's the same way I fly my rc planes. No expo and small movements 

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The solution if you can afford it is one of these, it has 8" elevator travel,  a 180 degree wheel  and whilst dearer than a Honeycomb - heaps cheaper than a Yoko or Brunner:

I've been using my Saitek Pro Yoke in XP11, FSX, P3D and Aerofly FS2. All with great and consistent results. In FS2020 - a total nightmare. I've been experimenting with different flightmodels, sensitivty, deadzone. Some combinations are better but to me it seems the flightmodel/aircraft doesn't react to the input the way it should. 

So I don't know about getting an expensive yoke as a solution. 

Edited by flightsim1818
  • Like 4

A high quality yoke is one of the best investments you can make for your sim. I don't understand how people can throw $100/1000's at hardware for the PC but fly with crappy controllers and 24' monitors.

• Like 4

Some great feedback there guys! I’m going to have a look at Vjoy. I prefer flying with stick and rudder pedals, as I have been flying mostly taildraggers since my training days. Unfortunately, most low-end flight sticks do not have contactless sensors. Even here you get what you pay for, and I agree, if you’re a serious sim pilot you’re probably going spend more on gear than you did on software. The RC reference is notable. I have never used “exponential” in my control setups. I want a 1:1 feedback on my input. It’s more precise, and that’s how real controls work. I finally realized that people advising sensitivity adjustments were really suggesting I use “exponential.” I also think Flightsim1818 hits the nail on the head re.  the flight models possibly being the real culprit here.  Hopefully, that will improve over time. 

• Like 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

Might have to try this. I've never messed with sensitivity on a joystick before until MSFS2020. 

27 minutes ago, Bosco19 said:

Unfortunately, most low-end flight sticks do not have contactless sensors. Even here you get what you pay for, and I agree, if you’re a serious sim pilot you’re probably going spend more on gear than you did on software. 

Try and pick up a second hand MS FFB2, they have optical sensors as well as Force Feedback as a bonus. Mine is 20 years old and still works fine in FS2020 for planes with a stick 😄

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Try and pick up a second hand MS FFB2, they have optical sensors as well as Force Feedback as a bonus. Mine is 20 years old and still works fine in FS2020 for planes with a stick 😄

Absolutely true! best joystick ever, no recalibration needed, no springs, no rubbers. Mine is from 2003 and still working great, it's a shame MS stopped that line of products.

• Like 2

Alexander Colka

11 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Did you recived this yoke already??? 

I`m waiting for mine - preorder made...

19 minutes ago, janda said:

Did you recived this yoke already??? 

I`m waiting for mine - preorder made...

No .. same as you pre-ordered.  I think they are only just starting to ship.