Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

VR Update / Beta - Microsoft Flight Simulation 2020

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I held off buying MSFS until there was more on VR. After testing the alpha for a while I realised that my interest in 2D gaming is zero.

After seeing the VR beta signup I bought it and it wont even install. Spent several hours trying to get the thing to install with no luck. I get why people are so frustrated, I'm now in the same boat.
Annoyingly I pre-ordered a Reverb G2 mainly for MSFS.

Hopefully I'll catch you folks in the VR MSFS skies one day. It's not looking good until they fix the installer though.

14 minutes ago, nickhod said:

Spent several hours trying to get the thing to install with no luck. 

I was in the alpha (enjoyed it) and bought the release version from MS Store. I couldn't get it to install properly as well (more detail is in another thread) and ended up (i) asking for a refund, which I finally got, (ii) buying and installing the Steam version. I'm a happy camper since, no installation issues anymore. Maybe this is a hint.

I own a Reverb 1 and signed up for the VR beta as well,  

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 minutes ago, pmb said:

I was in the alpha (enjoyed it) and bought the release version from MS Store. I couldn't get it to install properly as well (more detail is in another thread) and ended up (i) asking for a refund, which I finally got, (ii) buying and installing the Steam version. I'm a happy camper since, no installation issues anymore. Maybe this is a hint.

I own a Reverb 1 and signed up for the VR beta as well,  

Kind regards, Michael 

Thanks, yep, I'll throw another few hours at it tonight and try a refund and Steam version as a plan B. Crazy that they've invested several million dollars into developing this and the installer doesn't work properly.

45 minutes ago, nickhod said:

I held off buying MSFS until there was more on VR. After testing the alpha for a while I realised that my interest in 2D gaming is zero.

After seeing the VR beta signup I bought it and it wont even install. Spent several hours trying to get the thing to install with no luck. I get why people are so frustrated, I'm now in the same boat.
Annoyingly I pre-ordered a Reverb G2 mainly for MSFS.

Hopefully I'll catch you folks in the VR MSFS skies one day. It's not looking good until they fix the installer though.

Exactly the same for me. I went with Steam though on the day they said you were eligible to join the VR beta if you owned MSFS. Steam install went fine. Good luck!

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

4 hours ago, Spit40 said:

Exactly the same for me. I went with Steam though on the day they said you were eligible to join the VR beta if you owned MSFS. Steam install went fine. Good luck!

Thanks, I submitted a refund for the MS app store version. Will see if Steam works any better.

The current patch version of MSFS seems like an unmitigated disaster from what I've read on the forums. We picked a great time to buy! 

58 minutes ago, nickhod said:

The current patch version of MSFS seems like an unmitigated disaster from what I've read on the forums.

Not exactly... "fake news".. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 hour ago, nickhod said:

The current patch version of MSFS seems like an unmitigated disaster from what I've read on the forums

Don't believe all you read on a forum.

Or the press.

Or the BBC

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

54 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not exactly... "fake news".. 🙂

It's a tradition.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Don't believe all you read on a forum.

Well, given that I couldn't even get the thing installed, gave up and now have a refund request pending I'm inclined to agree with the forum 😀

Seems like a lot of stuff is broken for a lot of people, including me.

As I said on here a while ago (and got panned for it 😏), they bit off too much in one go. They should have released a slice of the game as an open beta, maybe just VFR / steam gauge planes and built on it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickhod said:

Well, given that I couldn't even get the thing installed, gave up and now have a refund request pending I'm inclined to agree with the forum 😀

Something I said on another thread....

Was I wish there was some way to find a commonality that indicates whether the sim will work pretty much as advertised, or apparently cause endless problems.

I find it hard to believe there's anything special about my computer. Yet I read of all these problems, and by and large, I'm not experiencing them.

Not sure what to think.

Devons rig

6 hours ago, nickhod said:

Thanks, I submitted a refund for the MS app store version. Will see if Steam works any better.

The current patch version of MSFS seems like an unmitigated disaster from what I've read on the forums. We picked a great time to buy! 

Just in case it's not too late, have you tried signing out of MSFS, signing out of MS Store and signing out of XBox live then rebooting your computer, resigning in to Xbox live and MS Store and trying the installation?

Personally, I don't have too high hopes for VR in MSFS. The only simulator which I had really fun with under VR is AeroflyFS2. I tried Prepar3d4 and X-Plane 11 but both lack the performance overhead required and are flaky, zap away if I move the head, I have to reduce settings etc. Now, this might be better with a 10000-something CPU and a 3080Ti GPU but my 1080Ti still isn't a slouch and I am not going to replace it for another year.

While I have been positively surprized about the performance of MSFS (under 2D) which is even superior to Prepar3d despite all the eye candy, it's far from AeroflyFS, thus, I am sceptical it has enough power to support a Reverb -  or Asobo must have done real wonders.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I find it hard to believe there's anything special about my computer. Yet I read of all these problems, and by and large, I'm not experiencing them.

I guess it's down to game state permutations rather than computer configuration. For instance, in many games if you're at a certain point in the game, then number of variables are somewhat limited. If there's a bug a significant proportion of users will see it.

With a flight simulator, if there's a bug report that auto pilot is erratic on aircraft x, you quite literally have thousands of other factors at play: airspeed, altitude, location, scenery streaming, weather, wind, flight model, control input, state of other aircraft controls.

What I would say is that people are reporting very specific bugs and CTD scenarios, not "flight model feels off" stuff.
In their Q&A, Asobo & MS even acknowledged that there was "regression" in stability and many users were frustrated.

Of course, all totally expected for a product that was rushed to market, but man, they need to fix their installer and updater. If you can't even get updates to users reliably you really have a problem.

44 minutes ago, pmb said:

Personally, I don't have too high hopes for VR in MSFS. The only simulator which I had really fun with under VR is AeroflyFS2.

Although the glacial pace of Aerofly development is frustrating, I must give them credit that it always just works and performs well.

I agree though that I don't think 90fps is going to be realistic on MSFS VR with a Reverb, or maybe just with a 3080. We'll likely be at 45 with sliders down a little. I'm expecting X-Plane quality VR but nicer visuals overall.

• Like 1