Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

VR Update / Beta - Microsoft Flight Simulation 2020

7 hours ago, YMMB said:

Just in case it's not too late, have you tried signing out of MSFS, signing out of MS Store and signing out of XBox live then rebooting your computer, resigning in to Xbox live and MS Store and trying the installation?

Thanks. I did try signing out of XBox Live, but I'll try those exact steps once they refund me and I give the Steam version a shot.

I really hope it works. I can't go back to FS2 as the world is too dead and I just don't really want to fly in the places where the nice scenery exists. No-one else makes VR work in a satisfying way IMHO and I just can't find a way to enjoy 2D simming. These guys are throwing tens of millions of $ at the job and they earned $100m in revenue in the last month - surely they can achieve the FPS performance that a handful of guys at IPACS managed. Or just buy the Germans out for a blip on the P&L.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

4 hours ago, nickhod said:

Although the glacial pace of Aerofly development is frustrating, I must give them credit that it always just works and performs well.

I agree though that I don't think 90fps is going to be realistic on MSFS VR with a Reverb, or maybe just with a 3080. We'll likely be at 45 with sliders down a little. I'm expecting X-Plane quality VR but nicer visuals overall.

I guess it'll also depend on exactly what you're doing, and with what.

For instance, on my system I can easily get 85 frames per second, but I need to use something very simple like the Savage cub, and stick to the high-end preset.

And of course that's going to vary according to whether you're over a huge City, or somewhere out in the bush.

I suspect what's going to happen is that people will find areas where VR works very well, and other situations where frame rates are simply too low.

I'm also hoping that Asobo is technically Savvy enough to use some of the VR friendly techniques that our Legacy Sims seem not to bother with, like Nvidia VR works and deep learning super sampling.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, pmb said:

Personally, I don't have too high hopes for VR in MSFS. The only simulator which I had really fun with under VR is AeroflyFS2. I tried Prepar3d4 and X-Plane 11 but both lack the performance overhead required and are flaky, zap away if I move the head, I have to reduce settings etc. Now, this might be better with a 10000-something CPU and a 3080Ti GPU but my 1080Ti still isn't a slouch and I am not going to replace it for another year.

While I have been positively surprized about the performance of MSFS (under 2D) which is even superior to Prepar3d despite all the eye candy, it's far from AeroflyFS, thus, I am sceptical it has enough power to support a Reverb -  or Asobo must have done real wonders.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, have you tried X-Plane 11 since the Vulcan implementation?  I am actually extremely happy with VR performance in X-Plane now.  I don't even bother to look at my FPS, as the sim in VR just "feels" silky smooth.  I have not greatly reduced settings either.  For reference, my system specs are i7 9700K 5ghz, RTR 2070 Super, 32 GB Ram and Oculus Rift S.

If MSFS 2020 runs VR anywhere near as well as the current version of X-Plane 11 I will be very satisfied.  I do have a Reverb G2 pre-ordered for MSFS, so I hope it is not a complete disaster

9 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

Michael, have you tried X-Plane 11 since the Vulcan implementation?  I am actually extremely happy with VR performance in X-Plane now. 

I think that was before Vulcan when I tried it, it was some time ago. Maybe I do another experiemnt when I find time, just to compare.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

I think that was before Vulcan when I tried it, it was some time ago. Maybe I do another experiemnt when I find time, just to compare.

Kind regards, Michael

Yep, they've improved things massively for VR with Vulkan. X-Plane VR was near unusable for me in OpenGL. It's not Aerofly 90fps smoothness now, but it's perfectly acceptable.

21 hours ago, nickhod said:

Thanks. I did try signing out of XBox Live, but I'll try those exact steps once they refund me and I give the Steam version a shot.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, YMMB said:

Good luck.

Thanks. Switching to the Steam version plus logging out of the XBox app and logging back in seems to have done the trick and I can now download and run.

I think Asobo have issues with XBox authentication failing and then no errors being shown plus file permission problems with Microsoft Store purchases.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nickhod said:

I think Asobo have issues with XBox authentication failing and then no errors being shown plus file permission problems with Microsoft Store purchases.

Those MS Store permissions are a basic flaw in the system, IMO. I don't know why they want to loose all those sales (and certainly beyond only MSFS) to Steam.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On 10/6/2020 at 9:56 PM, nickhod said:

I held off buying MSFS until there was more on VR. After testing the alpha for a while I realised that my interest in 2D gaming is zero.

After seeing the VR beta signup I bought it and it wont even install. Spent several hours trying to get the thing to install with no luck. I get why people are so frustrated, I'm now in the same boat.
Annoyingly I pre-ordered a Reverb G2 mainly for MSFS.

Hopefully I'll catch you folks in the VR MSFS skies one day. It's not looking good until they fix the installer though.

What sort of hardware do you think we’ll need to run VR smoothly?  I’m waiting to upgrade my PC and will buy based on the experience people have when VR launches.

@Nick and @Michael and others,

Here we go for the chance to first test out MSFS2020 VR!!!! I am glad you guys are along for the ride because I see you on the P3D and FS2 forums and value your opinions. I have a 9700K@5Ghz+RTZ2070+32gb RAM with the Reverb G1 and 32gb RAM. I have great  (almost 90 fps) performance with FS2 (777 at KSFO) and almost OK (45 FPS with SteamVR reprojection=motionvector) performance with P3Dv5HF2 using the DD Seattle and the F-35B. I have tested MSFS2020 tring to find performance on a single HD monitor that is above 100FPS so that I can get reasonable 45FPS performance in VR mode. What I have seen is that we need to use MEDIUM settings (maybe some adjustments) along with simple aircraft (the C152 for example) and simpler airports (LOWI (Innsbruck)) for example.

Let's stay in touch and report on this forum - easier than using the Microsoft forum which has way too many comments on things other than VR.  I hope this works reasonably well.

Dave W.

• Like 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Thanks Dave, I am ready for the ride. Although we first have to pass the Asobo selection - in the initial alpha it was pretty unpredictable who was selcted. I hope to hear something around Mid-October.

Kind regards, Michael

14 hours ago, whitav8 said:

Let's stay in touch and report on this forum - easier than using the Microsoft forum which has way too many comments on things other than VR.  I hope this works reasonably well.

I guess that because of NDA, the MSFS forums will be the only place where we can comment on the VR Beta, if we are lucky to be choosen.

@cercata,

Yes you are most likely correct about the NDA but what I would like to do is to tell each other on this forum to look for a thread named "whatever" on the Microsoft forum - that is, be on the look out. There are usually so many threads, most of which I don't want to filter through.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I guess there will be a new forum, so people outside the beta doesn't see it. 
And seeing the number of people who has WMR, I don't think there will be much people on the Beta.

I'm checking my spam folder and the Insider hub everyday, but nothing 😞

• Like 1