Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

VR Update / Beta - Microsoft Flight Simulation 2020

I keep asking myself if anyone was admitted to the alpha. Given The Reverb G2 will be relased in Mid-October and MSFS was announced to be compatible on release, there is something, well, not quite fitting.

Of course there may be a group testing for weeks now and I just didn't get it to know.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

G2 in mid october ? I don't think so ... if they don't have units for youtubers, I don't think the whole batch of profuction will be ready in a couple of days ...

Last week they said the Beta wasn't started yet, that they will send emails, and once emails were sent, in the next update they'll say it openly ... so today is update day, we'll see if any emails have been send or no.

VR CLOSED BETA UPDATE

It’s been a week since we opened sign up for VR Closed Beta and have received many eager applicants. Thank you for expressing interest in testing VR with us! We are currently evaluating the specs and making decisions at this time. We will provide another update here once emails have been sent out to participating testers.

I stupidly failed to complete the reverb when I created the dxdiag file. So I should probably create the dxdiag file again. 
I also think it's a pity that a few months ago it was announced that the G2 will support VR exclusively with the release of the G2. This is no longer the case. Something can always happen that the schedule does not fit anymore. But then you should stand by it and inform. Because the statement is that they are so close to the consumer. That is probably P a good PR tactic...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The G2 exclusivity thing was just a mistake I think, only a couple of days later they said it was WMR.

My theory is that there is no exclusivity at all, it's just that they are doing it via OpenXR, and the other plataforms have OpenXR only for developers AFAIK. So the support for other plataforms I think it depends more in the other platforms than in Asobo.

Yes, that's right they referred to WMR shortly afterwards. But still I find it of greatness when one stands by mistakes. 
I am excited about the beta anyway. Apparently they have been working on the VR implementation for a year now. That means there should be a lot there already, if you compare it to the development time Xplane had for implementing VR.

10 minutes ago, Alemanne82 said:

if you compare it to the development time Xplane had for implementing VR.

They have been more than 2 years and still not good. I stoped playing X-plane because the mouse didn't work on VR, and I wanted to play in VR with Hotas, not touchs

When I stopped playing the bug had been reported for 2 years and they didn't care

@cercata 

I have Xplane purely in VR and had no problems using my Thrustmaster Hotas. The mouse I never used just the controllers from my reverb and that worked perfectly. 
These are just my impressions, everyone has had different experiences or problems. Just like now with MSFS. 
I am absolutely excited about the VR implementation 😉

How do you do HOTAS + touchs ?

It would be amazing with gloves & handtracking, but with touchs. 4 devices, 2 hands only.

When I'm sitting in my plane I only have two hands so I just let go of the stick and press the corresponding keys. I do the same in the simulator. 

Yes, gloves would be great, but they are just too expensive for me. Let's see what the future brings 🙂

I meant globes OR handtracking ... Oculus Quest has already handtracking working very well, it would be posible on PC with current inside-out hardware ... we just need the software.

Regarding the touchs, in the plane you release the yoke/stick, and manipulate de cockpit.
In VR you release the stick, search the touch blindly, manipulate the cockpit, search a place to leave the touch, and get the stick, much more complicated workflow.
An also you mast make sure that you don't hit the HOTAS/Yoke/Quadrant/desktop ....not accesible for everyone.

Anyway, if X-Plane thinks that's the way to to go, they should just remove the VR Mouse option, and not let it there for 2 or 3 years, but that it doesn't work.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, pmb said:

I keep asking myself if anyone was admitted to the alpha. Given The Reverb G2 will be relased in Mid-October and MSFS was announced to be compatible on release, there is something, well, not quite fitting.

My vendor told me he expects the Reverb to come out in early November. No idea how reliable this info is.

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

My vendor told me he expects the Reverb to come out in early November. No idea how reliable this info is.

Thanks. I own the Reverb 1 and will not buy the G2 right now.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have been using X-Plane VR for over 2 years and currently using a Valve Index. I currently am using a Saitek yoke and MFG Crosswinds pedals. Since I have the Index I always have my controllers on my hands and use touch controls for everything else in the virtual cockpit.

I am also using MSFS but using Track IR till we get VR support and also have the HP Reverb G2 on pre-order. I plan on using my Index touch controllers with my G2 so this will be a interesting ride.

Bill

• Like 1

VR Flight Simulator Dual Boot Machine
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64 Bit Windows 11 Pro X-Plane 11.55r2 & 12.05b1 - LIAN LI LANCOOL III MESH PERFORMANCE BLACK Case - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 - Intel Core i9-13900K @ 5.0 GHz - CORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT - 64G DDR5 6400 Ram -ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC - Driver Version 546.01 - Dell U3415W  34" Curve 
Fulcrum One Yoke    MFG Crosswind Pedals   Bigscreen Beyond with Valve Index controllers on Windows  and trying on Linux   Vive Pro 2 with Index controllers on Windows    Pimax 8KX with Index controllers on Windows         Valve Index kit on Windows and Linux