Sign in to follow this  
Moria15

Pilot2ATC questions

3 hours ago, haskell said:

I wasn't aware this was available. I always choose the STAR when I setup the flight. How do you choose "dynamic" arrivals? Thanks.

I am at work right now, but this is on the CONFIG button, one of the tabs, it asks about 'forcing' (?) or sim.  I can look for it later today.  

Actually, just found it using the online user manueal.

ATC Assigns SIDs-Check this option if you want ATC to assign your SID and give it to you during the Request for IFR Clearance.  Remember to update your flight plan and your FMS/GPS so you fly the assigned SID.  It may be different from the one you planned for.  If this option is not checked, but you have a SID specified in the flight plan, ATC will assign you a SID aligned to the active runway.   

ATC Assigns STARs - This option will have Pilot2ATC determine what arrival procedure (STAR) is best based on the active runway and assign it to you while you are en-route.  If you prefer to fly the procedures you have in your flight plan, just uncheck this option and the following one and check the “Force Pilot Runway Selection” option discussed below. 

ATC Assigns Approaches – P2A ATC will assign the recommended approach procedure for the arrival airport.  This will be the highest precision IFR approach available for the active runway at the arrival airport.  Be sure to modify your flight plan and enter the correct Approach into your FMS or GPS unit.  Also, remember that a valid IFR flight plan must contain an Approach.  You will get an error message when you try and File the flight plan if it does not. 

Edited by Mike S KPDX
  • Like 3

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

As a follow up, p2atc when it assigns you a procedure, you have to update the p2atc flight plan manually? It doesn’t do it for you?  Obviously I have to activate the procedure in the fmc, but wondering why you’d have to do both.  Also, do you have to have procedures in the initial plan, or can you start up with just a basic route?

1 hour ago, ShawnG said:

As a follow up, p2atc when it assigns you a procedure, you have to update the p2atc flight plan manually? It doesn’t do it for you?  Obviously I have to activate the procedure in the fmc, but wondering why you’d have to do both.  Also, do you have to have procedures in the initial plan, or can you start up with just a basic route?

P2A will self generate (if you want that) and provide you a full IFR route plan before you even start your engines, just like in real life.  I have never received a runway change or star change probably because I take off before any wx change would initiate this.  Only a few times have I received a change in the star, and more often a change in the arrival runway.  This is because P2A probably saw a wind shift at the arrival airport and reacted accordingly.  Again, just like in real life.  If that happens, yes - P2A will show the reroute in the flight plan window, up to you to adjust your aircraft FMC settings accordingly.

Here and in the real world (US at least) when you file and receive routing for an IFR plan, that will always be a full route.  However sometimes you may receive the arrival segment very soon after you takeoff, this is to allow you to meet your departure time even though the entire routing has not been cleared.  The intent is that if you go nordo (no radio, thus radio failure) you will be expected to follow your flight plan except for entry to in Class B space, however you will be expected into Class C and D to arrive accordingly and utilize light gun signals, ATC will make space for you according to your flight plan (and their radar) - thus this is why you have full route clearance when you take off.

However, once you have radio contact established, often you get limited clearance (literally called a clearance limit), meaning to to this point and no further unless cleared past that (which you will get before you get to that point anyway).

• Like 1

You do not have to make changes in the P2A flight plan unless you want to track your flight progress in P2A.  ATC changes their plan and communicates to you.    If you just want to fly with the cockpit instruments, FMC, etc., then don't bother changing the pilot's flight plan in P2A.

You can file your IFR flight plan with only the airports and en-route waypoints.  Then, as ATC assigns procedures, you can add them to your FMC, etc.  To do this, you need to uncheck the option in Config to "Load Assigned Procedures" on the Flt Plan tab.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, appreciate the response!

Hi Dave,

Wow, thanks for joining in, glad to see you on this topic string.  

For you other folks, Dave is the definitive answer man on this program, trust me 😉

On 10/9/2020 at 4:36 AM, ShawnG said:

there is  a demo  version  for  a week to  test  it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

On 10/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

You do not have to make changes in the P2A flight plan unless you want to track your flight progress in P2A.  ATC changes their plan and communicates to you.    If you just want to fly with the cockpit instruments, FMC, etc., then don't bother changing the pilot's flight plan in P2A.

You can file your IFR flight plan with only the airports and en-route waypoints.  Then, as ATC assigns procedures, you can add them to your FMC, etc.  To do this, you need to uncheck the option in Config to "Load Assigned Procedures" on the Flt Plan tab.

Dave

Hi, Dave (and others who use P2A)...

One other aspect of ATC I’ve been struggling with that may get me to try P2A is pop-up IFR. This is really hit or miss in MSFS... but mostly miss.

If I start a flight on VFR and the weather changes (as an example) can I contact ATC (P2A) and request pop-up IFR clearance and an ILS or RNAV approach to a nearby airport? 

Even if P2A supports this, one thing that may still be a problem, is that it may  not be possible to add (and follow) an ILS approach in the G1000 in MSFS if you start out in VFR mode. It’s like the SIM is stuck in VFR. I suspect P2A can’t do much about that.

This is important to me as I will be running sight seeing flights in the Grand Caravan in mountainous regions where the weather can change quickly and I may need some assistance out of IMC from time to time. At least I would like to simulate this. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

You're right, P2A cannot help with the MSFS G1000.

But, good news, on a VFR flight, you can request vectors to an ILS or RNAV approach and ATC will give you a squawk code and start vectoring you.  For an ILS, you could tune to the proper NAV frequency and change the CDI setting from GPS to ILS and you should be able to fly the approach.  RNAV, of course, would depend on MSFS and their G1000.

Dave 

Hi, hoping this is the right place to just ask general questions (rather than start a new thread).

When following an IFR flight plan on P2A, are there any consequences for ignoring the ATC for a period of time? For example, the default MS2020 ATC will cancel clearance and terminate radar service if you don't respond for some time. On longer flights, I'd like to be able to step away for a bit to stretch my legs during the cruise, and not have to worry about having to constantly check in and switch frequencies etc. Ideally, when I come back I would just tune the most recently assigned frequency and be able to resume radio contact, but I'm not sure if P2A is set up to work that way.

(I know there's the request to leave frequency, but it seems it still expects you to change centres, so don't know if that's just for flavour, or if there's any functionality behind the request).

Loving the program, it's really helped improved the MS2020 experience massively! Thank you!

Just set the Copilot to Change Frequencies and Respond to Radios on the "Speech" tab of Config.  Then, as long as you get back in time for the approach, all should go smoothly while you are away socializing with the passengers, or whatever you are doing.

Dave

• Like 1