Sign in to follow this  
NM5K

Random failures

Guest laer

I think the answer is 'no' on this one, but I just wanted to be sure... I like the fact that you can do random failures, but I'm disappointed that they can only be done in the sense of 'this item will definitely fail within this amount of time' rather than having a simple 'random chance of any failure happening anytime' type of thing. I usually try and acheive a 'random' setting by setting failures to happen within an hour or two... which, in theory, would mean that my (usually less than half an hour flights) may or may not have failures, as opposed to definitely having them.Still, it would be great if you could just set a random chance of failure, rather than time range within which something will definitely fail... as that would give you the possibility that you might spot an issue as you sit on the runway, making the whole checklist thing relevant, rather than just a fun formality.Any thoughts on that?

Guest jbrians

It is possible to create missions with random chances of failure. Not in free flight currently, though.

Guest CocoLoco

Would it be possible to do this via the SDK and SimConnect? What I had in mind was to create an external program with a set of failure probabilities for each component and get it to tell FSX that something had broken. I guess I need to spend some time trawling through the SDK to find out for myself.PS Brian, thanks for a great sim (please pass this thanks on to your colleagues) - I've just been flying off the west coast of Scotland at dusk and the lighting effects on the sea and clouds are brilliant. It must be really annoying to have put so much work into this and have people say it's no different to FS9 with add-ons. I for one am very impressed with FSX and the more I see of it, the more I like it. On quite a few occassions I have just sat back and gone 'Wow'.I do have a few issues with bits of it such as land classes but I'm sure these will all get fixed in time. Given the scale of the task you had, I think this new version is a real leap forward and from what I've seen so far, it's got great potential for the future.

Yes, it is possible to create failures in FSX via the Gauges SDK.The token events to do the job are there.In fact, I'm re-writing the 172 version of FS2Crew so it works in FSX, and I added a random failures option. It would be nice, however, if MS could add more possible failures, such a split flap condition or blown tires. Maybe in FS11?Bryan

Guest Valkyrie321

I was JUST looking at that add-on on your website earlier Bryan. It sounds like an add-on that I most assuredly would be interested in. I look forward to hearing more from you on this project.

Guest capncrazy68

We had a previous version with that option. Although it was so long ago, I don't recall which one but it had to be 98 or 95. We had a slider for reliability. On full reliable, you get no failures, and on full the other side, well... For sure you will get some on very short flights even. You could set just below reliable, and you'd probably go through several flights with no mishaps, then WHAM, you get something. I think this is what we should have.I don't want to know what or when anything will fail if it does. The way it's set up now is great for training and practice, but for realistic flying, it does nothing.Jim

I think the failure option is more geared towards 'partial panel' IFR training than excitement and adventure, although yes it is true that adventures (or missions as they are now called in FSX) can have that element added).Anyway, it's a #### of a lot easier than using those silly little black rubber suction things that your instructor puts over the instrument in real life to test you on partial panel flying, that's for sure. Or big wadges of gaffa tape, as one instructor used to do with me some years ago :-)

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, one of the missions sprung that on me the other day.Was totally by surprise. The mission said something about aquick hop to another airport or something like that. No mention of an emergency. This was in at Interlaken if I remember right. It started the mission with me flyingalong. Ran for a short while, and then the engine cut out.I thought, dang, I hit the mixture key by accident..??Nope, it was set normal..I tried a restart. Restarted, but would only run a few seconds, and quit. Anyway, I did a Uturn, and did a glide to the nearby airport. Was a pieceof cake. I would also give myself a bit extra power byrestarting the engines, and getting what I could beforeit quit.. Water in the fuel I guess??? :(Yep, I sorta agree..An emergency without it being a surpriseis kinda cheating.. You'll have a tendency to make sure it'snot something that is possible. IE: I practice engine outsand dead stick glides all the time, but I rarely set one up in a place that I know I can't make it.. :/MK

Yep-the missions are going to finally create a real emergency-which is usually unexpected, and can cause a snowballing of other events.Try the last ones in the advanced section-you will have sweat pouring down your face-a low approach in snow with a major component out and your instruments not working correctly-and then something will happen to walk on the runway while landing....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

and then something will happen to walk on the runway while landing....Hummmm.. I had a fuel truck cut right in front of me last night..Dang fool...I almost squashed him like a bug with the 737-800..Had to slam the brakes to a full stop to keep from hitting him.I don't know if hitting a "car" will register a crash, but I wasn't taking no chances. :/ MK