Sign in to follow this  
mikeklimek

X-Plane 11: Where Have I Been All Your Life?

So I'm EXTREMELY late to the party, but boy am I glad I showed up anyway.  

I started flight-simming in 2012, jumping into FSX.  I've been doing it since then, going several months on, several months off.  Lately it's been nearly a year since I last virtually flew.  I've known about X-Plane, but always stuck with FSX as it was very familiar, like a old, warm blanket. 

Then, of course, MSFS comes out and I jumped back in.  That's a heck of a title with absolutely stunning eye-candy.  But with it in it's infancy, it left me wanting more.  So I thought, "ok, why not try out X-Plane 11 and see what's up over there?"

So I did some research and a few weeks later downloaded and installed some sceneries here, some plug-ins there, etc.  Man, am I addicted:

• Functioning (or at least more fleshed out) GPS units
  • Modeled airports (lot of talented modders out there)
  • Accurate airport taxiway signs
  • Impressive AI traffic (World Traffic 3) 
  • Great ATC with Pilot2atc
  • Great weather with Active Sky XP

Sure, the eye-candy may not be as impressive as the new kid on the block, but it's so much more complete--which makes sense given it's been around for so long  and has had 3rd party devs create some things for it.  And don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that as the MSFS devs continue to work on it and the title matures, it's going to be even more incredible.

But right now, I'm really enjoying X-Plane, and it's really what I want to fly.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 6

Believe me if you hand fly you have little time to care about the eye candY. very few xplanes fly on rails, a few secs distraction and you off in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

In before any moderator locks this thread as well 🙄.

Welcome to X-Plane Mike - just be advised that the issue of comparing X-Plane with Microsoft Flight simulator is considered taboo in this forum (you can freely bash X-Plane over in the MSFS forums, though 🤣).

Some sensitive folks have complained that they can´t sleep at night with the antagonism it brought 😉

Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Janov said:

Jan

Topics will only be locked if discussions descend into petty arguments and / or name calling. If people remain mature and discuss the differences in a reasonable way there's no reason to lock it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Janov said:

@Janov, there is no need for the sarcasm. The thread was locked because clearly the same two/three users decided it was necessary to turn a good discussion in to a sim war even after being asked to not do it repeatedly and to get back on topic. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to X-Plane, There are some great aircraft out there. If you like a mixture of old and new, the A300F by inibuilds is recommended. It's a bit pricey, but they are going to provide a passenger variant soon TM . Also an MD-11 is on the (distant) horizon. 

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

29 minutes ago, tonywob said:

turn a good discussion in to a sim war

Comparing sim features on a sim feature request thread... total disaster.

No amount of locking down positive comparisons between X-Plane or future X-Plane and any competition is going to stem the mass exodus from the hype train, and you can't say you weren't warned it would happen.

11 hours ago, mikeklimek said:

But right now, I'm really enjoying X-Plane, and it's really what I want to fly.

Welcome. I assume you have gone straight to 11.50 Vulkan, yes, now absolutely divine to fly, and yet even more things to discover than there are hours in the day.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, tonywob said:

there is no need for the sarcasm

Yeah, I guess you are right - but I feel that the other thread was locked just when "we" mangaged to get back around to the topic annd was a bit disppointed for it.

I know that the discussion gets heated sometimes and I agree that the line needs to be drawn where the name-calling starts. Personal insults are clearly past it - but I didn´t see any of that. Well, a troll is a troll, thats not name calling 😋.

However I believe that a bit of back and forth and poking between the two main competing simulators can be the "salt in the soup" as we say in German. Just like when you discuss cars, sports, politics, and pretty much every other subject where people tend to take sides. How boring would my life be without Greazer, FlyBaby and some of the other MSFS disciples?

I know some are tired of hearing "my sim" and "your sim" - but others aren´t and like talking about the strengths and weaknesses of each...often learning something in the process!

There is a thread in the "other big" X-Plane forum where this sort of exchange is tolerated and I think it gets heated and calms down again all by itself, without the need for a heavy hand by the mods. I would rather see (or rather not see) some posts deleted or people getting a timeout for not heeding a personal warning than the "group punishment" approach of locking threads.

If the discussion gravitates towards X-Plane vs MSFS again and again - obviously there is demand for it?

Cheers, Jan

• Like 4

My apologies all, no ill intent in starting the thread, I was just excited.

msparks, yes, Vulkan is really working well.  For the moment I'm temporarily staying with OpenGL if only because World Traffic 3 says it won't work with Vulkan until they (WT3) release an update for it, which presumably is around the corner.  

• Like 2

I've finally moved completely over to Vulkan. The only reason I stuck to OpenGL was some addons such as xEnviro and xVision, however the performance gain is too good for me to go back now and I've got used to it.

20 minutes ago, Janov said:

However I believe that a bit of back and forth and poking between the two main competing simulators can be the "salt in the soup" as we say in German. Just like when you discuss cars, sports, politics, and pretty much every other subject where people tend to take sides. How boring would my life be without Greazer, FlyBaby and some of the other MSFS disciples?

I've reopened the thread for discussing after some cleanup. Hopefully it will stay on topic

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

My apologies all, no ill intent in starting the thread, I was just excited.

No apologies needed at all - most of us here are excited about X-Plane, even after using it for 15+ years 😉.

• Like 5

Yup. It's a great sim. I've only been around X-plane since version 9 and it's come a looong way. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Welcome to X-Plane.  I made the jump two years ago, and it did take me awhile to find the appropriate and necessary addons to make the system robust.

But after I did, I never opened up those other sims even though I had 1,000s invested in addons.  My move to ortho with overlays was the clincher for me.

• Like 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3