Sign in to follow this  
scott967

DirectX 10 and FSX

Most of us are awaiting anxiously for the upcoming DirectX 10 update for FSX. Will MS have to rewrite the FSX code for it to work once DirectX 10 videocards are available, or is it already written in and awaiting the cards to display all its glory? FSX has a lot of potential, but, boy, it sure does need some hardware help (or something)!RH

Guest firehawk44

Yes, it will require an update which I understand is being worked on as I write. The update will be located on the FSInsider site when it is finished. This topic has been discussed extensively on this forum and you might do a search to review those topics. I know I will be upgrading my system as soon as DX10, Vista, and the videocards are released. If you read some of those topics I mentioned, don't expect DX10 and DX10 compatible videocards to dramatically increase the FPS within FSX. Best regards,Jim

Guest B744Heavy

I think DX10 is due out with Vista but I am not certain. If I had to guess I would bet it will be a while before we see a lot of DX10 cards on the market. The issue that blows me away is the fact that DX10 is not backwards compatible. So does this mean that if Vista is the OS then FS9 won't work???

Guest TomLiAirplane

>I think DX10 is due out with Vista but I am not certain. If>I had to guess I would bet it will be a while before we see a>lot of DX10 cards on the market. The issue that blows me away>is the fact that DX10 is not backwards compatible. So does>this mean that if Vista is the OS then FS9 won't work??? FS9 will of course work under Vista and DirectX10, possibly will even gain more frame rate.However DirectX 10 will not be supported by XP, so if you want to run FSX under DirectX 10, then you will have to get the Vista OS.Hope this helps

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Nov 23rd or 27th I think. MS is officially launching it's Vista and Office platforms simultaneously, and in a big way.Usually, as MS pound their products at these launches, in tons of major cities, they give away copies of the actual software. For example, last year I attended the Visual Studio 2005 launch and got SQL2005, VS2005 and BizTalk2005.... a dvd collection worth a pretty penny, just for showing up. These were full blown copies of the software, fully licensed. When MS launch a product, they REALLLLLY launch it into your hands.I am headed to the Toronto Vista/Office launch in Toronto in December. I wouldn't be surprised if they had copies of Vista to hand out.That being said.... if this massive launch starts the last week of November, you can bet your bottom dollar that DX10 is finalized and shipped to manufacturers for OEM... We don't have to wait till January/February after all :)

>>FS9 will of course work under Vista and DirectX10, possibly>will even gain more frame rate.>However DirectX 10 will not be supported by XP, so if you want>to run FSX under DirectX 10, then you will have to get the>Vista OS.>A user has reported good success running FS9 on Vista RC2 using the latest ATI driver (called RTM). This is with a 1900XTX card, though (not sure how more mainstream cards will do). Vista is expected to go Gold any day now. Office 2007 went gold Monday. They're both set for a big release party 30 Nov.scott s..