Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Does MSFS do anything really well?

It seems if you want a realistic (or even working) experience you need a heavily modified plane, add-on airports, add-on scenery, add-on weather generator, add-on ATC, 3rd party flight planning, and 3rd party log book. 

I guess I’m glad that MS/Asobo have built a frame work to enable this, but from what I’ve read, even that’s not great  

Does Microsoft or Asobo do anything really well?

Admittedly I’m feeling a bit negative at the moment, but it could be because of all the mods and add-ons I need to pile on this Sim to get any sense of realism and even with all that there’s still glaring issues. The whole thing just feels like a kludge. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I haven't got any mods going at the moment and loving this sim. For the first time in a simulator I got really nervous when the cloud cover proved thicker than expected during a climb out of a valley with mountains all around. Granted, if all one wants to do is fly large jets on autopilot one probably wants to be patient for a few months.

• Like 24

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I'm sorry you're having that experience! I feel nearly the opposite -- sure, I'd love to have my PMDG or FSL airliners working in MSFS, but what's there mostly works very well for me. I've been flying around mostly with the totally default C172 and having a great time. Scenery and weather are pretty close to perfect (a bit more lightning than seems plausible at times). I haven't even seen the need for any add-on scenery.

Weather add on? For what? From what I've read the REX addon breaks a lot of what makes the MSFS default weather such a breakthrough.

Clearly, there are aspects of the sim that need to be polished. But I remain pretty well blown away by what's already there. The feeling of a real world out the window is something I've never gotten before in any sim. For someone who doesn't always fly in North America or Europe, it's quite a stark difference from the legacy sims. Flying around mountainous southern Iran by moonlight is a frankly magical experience.

James

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

because of all the mods and add-ons I need to pile on this Sim to get any sense of realism

This right here would be the case if you was just talking aircraft’s wise or going back to even P3D . 
in the days of FSX P3D till this day you do need to spend some $ to make both look like MSFS . 

• Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

The actual feeling of flight is better than in any other sim! I'm talking about those little bumps and movements you experience IRL. Weather, airflow, etc.

The planes themselve are not perfect. So if it is important to you that your plane flies exactly by the numbers, then MSFS is not very good at the moment. If you want to experience flight in terms of feeling, sound, visuals... it excels.

This is solely about GA planes. Jets are... 😞

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I’ve never had such an immersive feeling flying any other desktop simulator than what I get with msfs. It truly reminds me of my old days when I was IRL flying,. I couldn’t go back to any of my previous simulators. Even if we would not get airliners (PMDG etc) in this sim, I still wouldn’t see myself being able to go back unfortunately.

• Like 18

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

21 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It seems if you want a realistic (or even working) experience you need a heavily modified plane, add-on airports, add-on scenery, add-on weather generator, add-on ATC, 3rd party flight planning, and 3rd party log book. 

I guess I’m glad that MS/Asobo have built a frame work to enable this, but from what I’ve read, even that’s not great  

Admittedly I’m feeling a bit negative at the moment, but it could be because of all the mods and add-ons I need to pile on this Sim to get any sense of realism and even with all that there’s still glaring issues. The whole thing just feels like a kludge. 

I don't understand your comment at all. You don't need any mods or any third party tools. Plan a flight from your local airport, fly it with the default real world weather and look out the window. It is so close to real that is seriously impressive. I have repeated more than a dozen real world flights I have done in MSFS and everything from the aircraft sounds to what I see out the window really brought those memories back for me. When VR arrives it will be a massive step forward in this sim. I flew exclusively in VR in P3D, and as hard as it to go back to 2D I have enjoyed MSFS far more than I thought I would. I can't go back to 2D at all in P3D.

Some people will never be happy I guess.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

YES!

• Like 14

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

28 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Sir, for the best experience with this sim, you MUST use it with your eyes OPEN.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Maybe you missed this thread?

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I suppose the best advice I can give the OP is don't believe everything you read.  At such an early stage there is nothing to be negative about in this sim.  Please name me one modern flight sim where some addon or other wasn't needed to 'complete' the experience.  I've never enjoyed a flightsim so much as this one and it is the first time in a sim that I chose not to fly because of the prevailing weather at my airport - totally socked-in (doing FlightSimEconomy flight) but chose instead to do some hanger flying working through some checklists in the TBM930.

One word - awesome, and can only get better!

Edited by Simjockey
Corrected 'was' to 'wasn't' - line 2.
  • Like 4

Paul Davies.

In terms of community mods, they are definitely improving on the default stuff.. with the Garmins and such. But be wary of companies who rush products to market to meet the hype as a quick cash grab, especially companies who have a veritable army of shill accounts to constantly promote their products. 

• Like 1