Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Does MSFS do anything really well?

1 minute ago, Simjockey said:

I suppose the best advice I can give the OP is don't believe everything you read.  At such an early stage there is nothing to be negative about in this sim.  Please name me one modern flight sim where some addon or other was needed to 'complete' the experience.  I've never enjoyed a flightsim so much as this one and it is the first time in a sim that I chose not to fly because of the prevailing weather at my airport - totally socked-in (doing FlightSimEconomy flight) but chose instead to do some hanger flying working through some checklists in the TBM930.

One word - awesome, and can only get better!

haha.. was flying in the UK south a couple of days ago using OnAir flights and took one look at the weather and decided that today was an office day and I would hold the flights for 24 hours :)

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

29 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Does Microsoft or Asobo do anything really well?

With my 30+ years Game Simulation experience I tell you - YES! Microsoft and Asobo do EVERYTHING REALLY WELL! What you see right now is how HUGE Unified Global Earth Simulation Empire growing up. Very soon we will see Combat Flight Simulator, Train, Truck and Ship simulators with all seaports, terminals and Economy simulator. MSFS2020 just the beginning! 😃

• Like 3

Also another thought, if your concern is over the large passenger jets.. these are never realistic anyway. Nobody solo's a 747, intentionally anyway.

• Like 1

Frankly, OP's comments are almost on the borderline ridiculous. If he/she actually owns the MSFS then it can only be trolling.

To me MSFS, without any addons, simply blows FSX/P3D/XP (barring "study level" planes aka "panel simulators") out of water. To just hint that F/P/X is even comparable to MSFS is ... well, I cut my words off here.  

• Like 9

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 minute ago, OSM said:

With my 30+ years Game Simulation experience I tell you - YES! Microsoft and Asobo do EVERYTHING REALLY WELL! What you see right now is how HUGE Unified Global Earth Simulation Empire growing up. Very soon we will see Combat Flight Simulator, Train, Truck and Ship simulators with all seaports, terminals and Economy simulator. MSFS2020 just the beginning! 😃

Wife (or.. mistress) simulator coming soon.

15 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

I don't understand your comment at all. You don't need any mods or any third party tools. Plan a flight from your local airport, fly it with the default real world weather and look out the window. It is so close to real that is seriously impressive. I have repeated more than a dozen real world flights I have done in MSFS and everything from the aircraft sounds to what I see out the window really brought those memories back for me. When VR arrives it will be a massive step forward in this sim. I flew exclusively in VR in P3D, and as hard as it to go back to 2D I have enjoyed MSFS far more than I thought I would. I can't go back to 2D at all in P3D.

Some people will never be happy I guess.

I'm not suggesting the sim is unusable or unplayable.  It does work.  What I'm suggesting is that everything is half-baked.  Nothing is great (well except maybe the lighting).  The planes all have issues, especially with AP and key systems in airliners, most airports look terrible unless they are hand-crafted, the scenery is good at high altitude but falls apart as soon as you get closer and many landmarks are missing, and mountain faces look horribly blurry and lacking detail.  The ATC is absolute rubbish. The weather is good but lacking an ability to set something up to test minimums, the flight planner is using different data from every other flight planner making it challenging to duplicate real-world flight routes, the log book seldom records everything accurately.

There's nothing that is done to a very high standard.

To the OP,

Go grab yourself P3D v5.1 when it comes out. If you need to know what MSFS does good, then it’s best to go fly another sim to find out or confirm what you think.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 5

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Enough with the talk....

This is what MS does right:

hSF4nE.jpg

3NhjNI.jpg

L0FF56.jpg

qY7qSa.jpg

nRYOEf.jpg

JYpHUX.jpg

0JbvSd.jpg

XUokBt.jpg

5HceBP.jpg

AWOM96.jpg

6LfNio.jpg

PsherF.jpg

GoBNIM.jpg

3W0BQd.jpg

Ok...the last two are with an add-on (the Mooney) but the pic woulda' looked as good with a default plane. 😉

I think I've "said" enough. 🙂

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 25
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

8 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I'm not suggesting the sim is unusable or unplayable.  It does work.  What I'm suggesting is that everything is half-baked.  Nothing is great (well except maybe the lighting).  The planes all have issues, especially with AP and key systems in airliners, most airports look terrible unless they are hand-crafted, the scenery is good at high altitude but falls apart as soon as you get closer and many landmarks are missing, and mountain faces look horribly blurry and lacking detail.  The ATC is absolute rubbish. The weather is good but lacking an ability to set something up to test minimums, the flight planner is using different data from every other flight planner making it challenging to duplicate real-world flight routes, the log book seldom records everything accurately.

So modelling the entire planet, modelling 10's of thousands of airports and airstrips, 40+ scale 3D models of real aircraft, photogrammetry, the list goes on. It is an incredible achievement. Perhaps the issue is your expectations are set maybe a little too high. The weather, the flight models and so on will all improve over time.

In terms of flightplanning.. my advice.. use a real sectional map and fly it like you would in real life. It has literally never ever been as easy or as good as this in order to plan a flight. Gone are landclass autogen cities and towns. Now you can visually see your waypoints in the photographic scenery.

If you want to do IFR flights, then use skyvector perhaps and fly the route in the sim. Nothing stands in your way of doing that. 

Edited by BusheFlyer
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

So modelling the entire planet, modelling 10's of thousands of airports and airstrips, 40+ scale 3D models of real aircraft, photogrammetry, the list goes on. It is an incredible achievement. Perhaps the issue is your expectations are set maybe a little too high. The weather, the flight models and so on will all improve over time. 

Yes, that seems to be the problem.  My expectations were high.  Maybe it was the marketing.  Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.  I've not played a flight sim since the late 80s so comparing this to recent predecessors is not something I can do.

But now my expectations are suitably low... I guess coming down to the same level as everyone else here.  I need mods to make many aircraft systems functional, I need mods to make my airports and scenery look more accurate, I need something additional to fix the horrible ATC or just ignore it (which is a big part of flying).  

I'm all about immersion and there are many immersion breaking issues with this sim at the moment.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

14 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What is your point? Everybody, including MS and Asob know about all those issues, this is not a secret.

Edited by OSM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OSM said:

What is your point? Everybody, including MS and Asob know about all those issues, this not a secret.

Why don't they pick something... anything... and do it really well. Make it so you wouldn't dare mod it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Yes, that seems to be the problem.  My expectations were high.  Maybe it was the marketing.  Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.  I've not played a flight sim since the late 80s so comparing this to recent predecessors is not something I can do.

But now my expectations are suitably low... I guess coming down to the same level as everyone else here.  I need mods to make many aircraft systems functional, I need mods to make my airports and scenery look more accurate, I need something additional to fix the horrible ATC or just ignore it (which is a big part of flying).  

I'm all about immersion and there are many immersion breaking issues with this sim at the moment.

I think you are looking at what it not working as opposed to what IS working. All the planes have ALL of the critical systems modelled in some form.. the fact that some things like cabin heat or the cigar lighter might be marked (in-op) is really of no consequence.

I fly in the real world and have done for coming up on half a century. I find MSFS to be very immersive, perhaps it's because I have many memories to fill in those blanks a bit.. I don't know, but I have been totally impressed with how good MSFS is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Why don't they pick something... anything... and do it really well. Make it so you wouldn't dare mod it?

Because then some of the major the third party devs will be killed, and that would be incredibly stupid.

if they kill the third party study developers (which is actually something Microsoft and Asobo can do the day after tomorrow if they want), they will also miss out on the large amount of money in the form of revenue from the in-sim marketplace.

How does Steam make so much money every year? Do they make and sell their own games? Nope. They sell other people’s games and addons and that’s how they became a multi-billion dollar company. That’s how they can maintain and handle their server costs and then generate profit.

Remember Aerosoft said they would bring their Airbus line and the CRJ to MSFS? If the MSFS default A320 Neo acts even half as good and realistic as Aerosoft’s Airbus flight model and system wise, then why would people buy Aerosoft’s Airbus?

People in these days and age of social media and instant gratification want to have their cake and eat it too. Unfortunately that’s NOT how it works.

Microsoft's current market valuation stands at 1.3 trillion dollars. They didn't get to this stage by trolling. Incredibly intelligent people from all over the world had to do incredibly clever stuff to make the company as successful as it is now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

This is natural phase of any new software life cycle - finding and fix bugs with the customers help.

• Like 1