Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Does MSFS do anything really well?

Just now, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

RNAV computers have been around since the 70's, I must be misunderstanding something.

What aircraft in the sim now has a DME/DME or VOR/VOR based RNAV computer?  None of them

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

3 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

Read my post above.. I couldn't care any less about your experience going forward with MSFS.. perhaps you will continue to rant and rave on forums feeling impotent or perhaps you can learn some civility, and that you don't have to exaggerate everything you say. 

You're the one who came in here minimizing other peoples concerns just because the particular type of simulation you want to do works, while the types of simulation many other people want to do is broke, and won't be fixed for months if at all.

Then you claimed to be able to do things in the sim, that are plainly impossible given the totally broken avionics.

1 minute ago, marsman2020 said:

You're the one who came in here minimizing other peoples concerns just because the particular type of simulation you want to do works, while the types of simulation many other people want to do is broke, and won't be fixed for months if at all.

Then you claimed to be able to do things in the sim, that are plainly impossible given the totally broken avionics.

Currently, as far as I am aware.. the GPS is displaying RNAV fixes on the screen is it not? Yes the autopilot may or may not track them correctly. How exactly are you finding this impossible? What part of flying the procedure is giving you trouble? The approach plate will give you all the information you need to conduct the approach providing you have those fixes and can navigate to them.

27 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

What aircraft in the sim now has a DME/DME or VOR/VOR based RNAV computer?  None of them

Some seek problems and some solutions. I am using an FSWidgets map app on my iPad when the going gets tough

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

20 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

Currently, as far as I am aware.. the GPS is displaying RNAV fixes on the screen is it not? Yes the autopilot may or may not track them correctly. How exactly are you finding this impossible? What part of flying the procedure is giving you trouble? The approach plate will give you all the information you need to conduct the approach providing you have those fixes and can navigate to them.

The G1000 won't load the fixes in many cases.

SOL without them.

1 minute ago, marsman2020 said:

The G1000 won't load the fixes in many cases.

SOL without them.

So, your in a sim.. go to another airport and fly an ILS perhaps? You want to find something specifically that is not working great yet and pick that as the thing you must do just so you can whine and complain about it? Suspect this is a generational thing. Anyway it doesn't sound to me like your going to enjoy flying or flight simming at all, it is not for everyone. Have you consider train simulator?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Its not TOTALLY broken tho, so yea, we do have to minimize what you say.

Edited by leprechaunlive
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BusheFlyer said:

So, your in a sim.. go to another airport and fly an ILS perhaps? You want to find something specifically that is not working great yet and pick that as the thing you must do just so you can whine and complain about it? Suspect this is a generational thing. Anyway it doesn't sound to me like your going to enjoy flying or flight simming at all, it is not for everyone. Have you consider train simulator?

TrainSimWorld is amazing tho 😄

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 10:12 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

It seems if you want a realistic (or even working) experience you need a heavily modified plane, add-on airports, add-on scenery, add-on weather generator, add-on ATC, 3rd party flight planning, and 3rd party log book. 

I guess I’m glad that MS/Asobo have built a frame work to enable this, but from what I’ve read, even that’s not great  

Does Microsoft or Asobo do anything really well?

Admittedly I’m feeling a bit negative at the moment, but it could be because of all the mods and add-ons I need to pile on this Sim to get any sense of realism and even with all that there’s still glaring issues. The whole thing just feels like a kludge. 

LOL this post is like reading diarrhea. Honestly it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth 🙂. Asobo are building a platform, you must realise this? The defaults are there to show what's possible but the setting is very much top notch, how can you say Heahrow, Charles du Guille or even some smaller airports like Luka and Gibraltar are not top notch? Weather generation visually is better than any product on any other platform. It's a tremendous starting point to grow our simulation hobby.

Edited by dtrjones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

- My home town airport (Vancouver) CYVR looks horrible and has no night lighting on the ramps. It's like there's been a power outage or the airport is shutdown.

Airport looked fine to me. As reported, no lights on ramps, but the rest of the airport was lit brightly enough that maneuvering was not in any way an issue. Noted that many other pilots were there, apparently able to use the airport at night.

1 hour ago, Scottoest said:

- Downtown Vancouver looks like it is made out of melted blocks

5BQVlC.jpg

1 hour ago, Scottoest said:

- All the marinas are underwater

- All the beaches in this vicinity are covered in a flat 2d bush texture

- Most mountains have low-res blurry textures for rock faces that make them look very unrealistic

Some marinas are underwater. Some are not. Show me better default ones in another sim.....

As for blurry unrealistic mountains..

5C6Xwk.jpg

I was actually going to go through your facts one by one, but after looking at the area and comparing it to your description, I had seen enough.

You need another sim, and I wish you luck in finding the perfection you are seeking.

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

10 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Airport looked fine to me. As reported, no lights on ramps, but the rest of the airport was lit brightly enough that maneuvering was not in any way an issue. Noted that many other pilots were there, apparently able to use the airport at night.

pic removed

Some marinas are underwater. Some are not. Show me better default ones in another sim.....

As for blurry unrealistic mountains..

pic removed

I was actually going to go through your facts one by one, but after looking at the area and comparing it to your description, I had seen enough.

You need another sim, and I wish you luck in finding the perfection you are seeking.

word not allowed how he is gonna get out of this one 😄

The bush trips are fun, and other types of VFR flying. People have even made some of their own bush trips that are integrated into the sim now. There's one in Sweden on Nexus mods. And the Idaho one on msfsbushtrips.com is really great, especially if you fly without gps.

1 hour ago, dtrjones said:

LOL this post is like reading diarrhea. 

I'm sorry, I had to quote this.  lol

cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I think we are all missing the point that the OP is having more fun stirring the pot than we are flying.  The more we respond, the greater his mirth.

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.