Sign in to follow this  
Will Fly For Cheese

That's it!!! - I'm staying with MSFS

18 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

We do not call them crashes.

it is just CFIT.

CFIT - an abbreviation that strikes terror in to the humblest low-hour pilots and those with 20,000 hours.

Why? - because you didn't see it coming.

Un-controlled Flight In To Terrain I can handle - it's my fault - and I saw it coming.

But, CFIT is when you hit the ground that you didn't even see was there. Awful.

Things have gone so very wrong in the cockpit - all the way up from the Cessna 152 to the big stuff;

Fellow Pilots; familiarise yourself with this terrible potential situation; in this case it was CFIT in to the Atlantic Ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Learn from the mistakes that can go right up to the top of Command.

(In other words - it's incredibly easy for this to happen)

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

On 10/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Will Fly For Cheese said:

It's running majestically on a slightly modest system

What are your specs? Im on a 12yr old system and while me getting the game is about a year out (new PC then) I sometimes wonder how it will run on my 12yr machine.

1 hour ago, ThrottleUp said:

What are your specs? Im on a 12yr old system and while me getting the game is about a year out (new PC then) I sometimes wonder how it will run on my 12yr machine.

Oh Gawd.

Right, here goes;

Vanilla Windows 10 latest build dedicated Flight Sim PC, Asus Z-87 M-PLUS, Intel i7 4790K O/C'd to 4.6 stable, MSI 1080 Ti Gaming O/C, 16 GB DDR3 2300, 2 X 500 GB SSD.

I know in some ways that's quite a humble system but in other ways it's quite good. MSFS seems to like it. I average 60-70 FPS on the smaller aircraft and 40 FPS on the Airliners (which I'm not flying)

The mighty 4790K has yet to go past 50% useage 'In-Game' while whipping the 1080 Ti into action and making it peg out at 100%. Most settings on ULTRA. No complaints so far. . .

Flying across the Sahara Desert

Untjmjmjbmjitled.png

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

Very nice post. That might or best describes in words the way Asobo works: "We wonder why the game worked in the past, but not now and wonder why we cannot make the old code work again."

Or: "All patches have been fixed (about a year from now) but why did it take 12 years in the end"?

And guess what, I didn`t drink anything.

11 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

CFIT - an abbreviation that strikes terror in to the humblest low-hour pilots and those with 20,000 hours.

Why? - because you didn't see it coming.

Un-controlled Flight In To Terrain I can handle - it's my fault - and I saw it coming.

But, CFIT is when you hit the ground that you didn't even see was there. Awful.

Things have gone so very wrong in the cockpit - all the way up from the Cessna 152 to the big stuff;

Fellow Pilots; familiarise yourself with this terrible potential situation; in this case it was CFIT in to the Atlantic Ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Learn from the mistakes that can go right up to the top of Command.

(In other words - it's incredibly easy for this to happen)

The infamous PNG clouds with rocks in them are one example however there are others.

One of the guys from the local aero club was talking about how working in PNG where it still gets pretty hot and humid even half way up a mountain pressure/density altitude really starts to matter. 

He described how he did all the prep for an early morning charter flight and worked out that with his fuel load and passengers there was enough runway but the flight was delayed and by the time he took off the outside temp had risen another 5 degrees and that made a world of difference as he ran out of runway and ended up in the scrub and bushes at the end lucky to do nothing more than damage the prop. Still a classic example of CFIT.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I think the CTDs have been reduced The reason people still post negative threads is simply beause we all love the platform - or want to love the platform. A new beautiful world is at your fingertips but filled with bugs and inconsistent airliners which - quite frankly- kills the joy for many simmers. It's like having a 5-star chef bring you the best meal you've ever had and after your first bites, the waitor comes out and randomly dumps too much salt on it. You can probably find certain parts of the dish that are awesome but the dish itself is ruined.

What I find strange in terms of performance is that the very first version of FS2020 looked MUCH better AND ran smoother on my hardware. Puzzling...

Anyway...I am sure FS2020 will be awesome in the future, but many of us are like kids on Xmas. We can't wait and don't bring us broken presents.

/End of analogies

15 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Vanilla Windows 10 latest build dedicated Flight Sim PC, Asus Z-87 M-PLUS, Intel i7 4790K O/C'd to 4.6 stable, MSI 1080 Ti Gaming O/C, 16 GB DDR3 2300, 2 X 500 GB SSD.

I know in some ways that's quite a humble system but in other ways it's quite good. MSFS seems to like it. I average 60-70 FPS on the smaller aircraft and 40 FPS on the Airliners (which I'm not flying)

The mighty 4790K has yet to go past 50% useage 'In-Game' while whipping the 1080 Ti into action and making it peg out at 100%. Most settings on ULTRA.

Not a bad system at all, makes mine feel like a donkey cart lol. Powerful graphics card. I was surprised to see your CPU not going above 50%. So the game hammers the GPU heavily but not the CPU..? I guess theres so many variables though, I saw the vast number of setting sliders on YT vids. 

I was surprised to see your CPU not going above 50%. So the game hammers the GPU heavily but not the CPU..

With everything at ULTRA, vysnc to 30Hz, HT enabled, I find the main thread hovers around 50% as well, however all other 14 logical processors are coasting along at maybe 20% tops and that is flying thru complex scenery in the TBM930.  Now using another approach that pushes the entire sim, by not using some method to restrict output to 30 frames I get much higher CPU utilization, but therein is the magic of hardware-based frame rate restriction.  I'm planning on RTX 3070 Super or greater provided there is 16GB + of VRAM.  CPU should be fine for the duration.  I'm hoping 3rd party plane devs can access those coasting LPs/Cores.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Given that we've learnt that the sim is partially underpinned by the Forza engine, I can see why the GPU is taking on so much more of the load. It's good to know there are CPU cycles to spare because we're sure going to fill the sim to brim with addons eventually...!

Edited by DylanM

On 10/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Hey  ... i just found this super realistic simulator on offer for just $148 a month, you just need fuel ...

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/197492711/1973-cessna-150-piston-single-aircraft

apparently there are no stutters and the realism of the scenery is unbelievable.

img.axd?id=6140521559&wid=6072144879&rwl

Hah! Reminds me of the time when I could rent one of these wet, AND with instructor for $7 an hour. 

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

8 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

Hah! Reminds me of the time when I could rent one of these wet, AND with instructor for $7 an hour. 

Back when i started in 84

50448064182_ee277bf820_c.jpg

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot
  • Like 1

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Well, the important thing is that YOU are happy- and not trying to make someone else happy.

I love the scenery of the new simulator; unfortunately, all my favs a/c add-ons are not there. So I reinstall P3D and boy how beautiful it is to fly those brilliant a/c again. I'm sure MSF2020 will catch up in the future.  However, I have nice scenery and air ports like ORBX in P3D,  and I'm enjoying those gorgeous airliners. 

Stay Safe ...Stay Happy...  and keep flying !!