Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

AMD announces new Ryzen CPU's

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-10-08-amd-announces-ryzen-5000-desktop-cpus-to-challenge-intels-gaming-dominance

"AMD claims that their new processors offer better single-threaded performance - and therefore better gaming performance - than Intel's best parts, and that would be an exciting turnaround if it's borne out in testing. In Cinebench R20's single-threaded benchmark, AMD showed the flagship 5900X beating out the Core i9 10900K by a significant margin - 544  vs 631, a 16 per cent advantage."

Certainly interesting.

• Like 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Good thing I waited for this announcement before i went out to buy parts for my next build . 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

We need real benchmarks from reputable sources. 

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Anyone notice the price increase versus Zen 2

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

18 minutes ago, canadiantree said:

Anyone notice the price increase versus Zen 2

It was only to be expected, as Zen 3 now has the lead over any sort of workload, as well as performance per Watt/dollar. There is always a price premium for the very best, and AMD are not just the budget brand anymore when it comes to CPUs.

They will probably keep Matisse 2 as the budget options (it is rumoured that Matisse will probably be phased out, likely due to the older node), and hold the 3600 and 3700X successors until Rocket Lake in March 2021.

• Upvote 2

In the next 3-4 months I will assemble/buy my next game rig and for sure it will contain an AMD professor, most likely the 5900X
Combined with an 3080 or one of the new AMD offerings soon to be announced.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

The competition between Intel and AMD is good for us users, I hope they can compete with Nvidia as well.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 minute ago, Ixoye said:

The competition between Intel and AMD is good for us users, I hope they can compete with Nvidia as well.

The RX 6000 teaser showed ~10% less performance than the RTX 3080, albeit with unoptimised drivers according to AMD. Since it will come with 16GB VRAM, if they price it at around $600 it will be a serious contender. Unless they did not preview their fastest SKU but I doubt it.

When I built my new PC last year I decided to go AMD, with a X570 MB, it seems as though I made the right choice, as this time next year I'll have 2 very fast PC's one will be a AMD 5900x, X570 mb, 3080/3070 20/16 GB GPU and a Amd 3800x, B350 mb with a 1070 TI for about £500 upgrade cost. With MSFS, P3D V5, XP12 upgrades/optimizations Simming/gaming will never have been as good, with my main PC future proof for 3/4 years when upgrades start all over again probably with AM4/5? 

Edited by eaim

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Glad my x570 Strix isn't obsolete

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

11 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The RX 6000 teaser showed ~10% less performance than the RTX 3080, albeit with unoptimised drivers according to AMD. Since it will come with 16GB VRAM, if they price it at around $600 it will be a serious contender. Unless they did not preview their fastest SKU but I doubt it.

I'm actually thinking they previewed the 6800XT & not the top end model. Rumor on the street is that they made some last minute decisions on the clock speeds of the high end model & it wasn't ready in time for yesterday. All this is pure speculation of course. As far as I'm concerned, I'm leaning more & more towards an all red configuration. That GPU looks beautiful.

• Like 2

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

14 hours ago, Egbert Drenth said:

it will contain an AMD professor

Make sure your case is large enough to accomodate an entire professor as some tend to have somewhat larger bellies 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canadiantree said:

I'm actually thinking they previewed the 6800XT & not the top end model. Rumor on the street is that they made some last minute decisions on the clock speeds of the high end model & it wasn't ready in time for yesterday. All this is pure speculation of course. As far as I'm concerned, I'm leaning more & more towards an all red configuration. That GPU looks beautiful.

I believe it was mentioned in a report of an interview in advance of the Zen 3 reveal that the RDNA 2 unit they previewed was still being fine-tuned, both in terms of hardware and software. I'm guessing what they previewed was a slightly cut-down Navi 21 with immature drivers, because revealing the best performance numbers would kind of ruin the reveal for the 28th, but if they were underpromising it wouldn't be a good idea with Ampere selling already. I think that what we can take from this is that it's likely that they will have a contender for the RTX 3080, and this is great from AMD considering where they were before.

I agree that the cooler looks beautiful, and it's refreshing that they moved away from the blower reference coolers, especially with rumours that partners will not be releasing their cards at launch once again. That really hurt the initial sales of the RX 5000 cards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1