Sign in to follow this  
chris41

AI and ATIS; taking off away from the wind

AI are landing away from the wind, ATIS and airport assigning aircraft to do so. Didn’t have this problem 5 years ago when I had to break away from FS for a couple years (too much distraction going to college) but now that I have resumed this happens every flight. I input my own weather into the fs using default and I’ve changed nothing on my sim. I run fs9. Any thoughts? 

Chris Porter

Just noticed while on approach to KJAX runway 8 (hdg 075) wind was 254 (me flying into the wind right?). My aircraft (PMDG 737-900) was telling me wind had the direction of 254 and that I was flying that same direction though my instruments were telling me I was Flying the opposite (hdg 075) which was the correct heading. Not sure what is going on

254/? shows the wind direction it's blowing FROM, therefore you should be using runway 26 to land INTO the wind.  Your G/S and therefore your rate of descent would be higher than it should be if you used the correct runway. Unless forced by ATC, you should pick a runway with a headwind component to reduce G/S, rate of descent and landing distance if possible.

C.Brown