Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Bonanza Turbo Mod RELEASED

Thanks all for the nice comments which are appreciated.

On the question of "merging" with other mods, I think the key is in the "layout,json" file in any mod. That file defines exactly what image and other files are called by the sim when loading a specific aircraft. If you have another mod or other liveries installed, both mods will have their own layout,json files and that is where the clash occurs. I think the only way you can merge different livery sets is to make a master layout.json file with all of livery images, effects and thumbnails installed. You would also need a new aircraft cfg file which called the list of liveries. Even then things could clash.

As things are you cannot merge two different engine or flight_model files because you can only have one of each per aircraft mod. In the FSX days the aircraft.cfg file could define different engine and flight models by the label "sim=A/B/C" etc for each variant entry. You cannot do this now. But on the other hand the new system allows an amazingly easy method  by which you can simply place a whole mod into the community folder without any complicated install procedures and instantly your mod shows and works.

Meanwhile it isn't too much trouble to swap community folder mods before you start the sim. Takes a few seconds to move folders in and out.

• Like 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

3 hours ago, raymar said:

Thanks for this surprise comeback, Robert.  We all miss RealAir and I missed writing the Avsim reviews. Every single Real Air review that I authored earned the coveted Avsim Gold Star - that surely is a record that will never be broken. If Asobo had any stars at all, you would get the first one.

Best Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

Your reviews are the stuff of legends. Easily the most detailed reviews ever written, on any product or addon. I used to worry that you might suffer from the digital equivalent of writer's cramp, so detailed were your assessments! Lovely to hear from you.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

If there were a method to donate, I'd definitely kick something in to support this.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

So, thank you very much for your work I now look forward to enjoying it. But more importantly, I wish you good heath Robert.

One last thing, if you could please make these addon liveries work with your addon that would be truly really  wonderful. I did try adding the old fsx way but it did not work. link to them

Glad you got it working. Please see my post above about the difficulties of merging mods. Thanks for your good health wishes. Appreciated.

21 minutes ago, robert young said:

On the question of "merging" with other mods, I think the key is in the "layout,json" file in any mod. That file defines exactly what image and other files are called by the sim when loading a specific aircraft. If you have another mod or other liveries installed, both mods will have their own layout,json files and that is where the clash occurs. I think the only way you can merge different livery sets is to make a master layout.json file with all of livery images, effects and thumbnails installed. You would also need a new aircraft cfg file which called the list of liveries. Even then things could clash.

That's exactly how I have seen it work and I've successfully merged disparate mods for the same aircraft into one by carefully copying the unique contents of one json file to the other, and then of course making the appropriate entries in the aircraft.cfg file for the new liveries.   The latter part is second nature to anyone who's added liveries in past versions of MS flightsims, working with the json file contents isn't terribly hard either although it's a bit tedious and there are just different "gotcha's" to watch out for such as proper comma separation between elements, etc... as always be sure to back up original files before playin' around. 

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Many thanks Robert for your work on this.

Downloaded it from Github & installed it in the Community folder without any issues.

I just took a short  flight in the North East USA & it flew impeccably, hands on, & using the AP.

Trust your health improves & you don't exhaust yourself tweaking the G36.

T45

18 hours ago, LHookins said:

Thank you, Sir.

I would be interested in a "developer's log" of the kinds of problems you experienced and the level of effort it took to get things working.

In the end, are you happy with what you were able to achieve with a default MSFS aircraft?  

Hook

Hi Hook,

It has been a steep learning curve. The "modern" flight model system was a challenge and is much more sensitive to the slightest changes than the legacy f/m. But they are very similar in many ways. The modern f/m has a baked-in roll instability at the stall which can create an "automatic" wing drop, and it is as yet rather crude. Once the SDK becomes more detailed it might be possible to create better subtleties. Proper spinning and side slip capability took a great many hours with large amounts of hit and miss value changes.But then so did the legacy f/m of old.

One advantage of the modern f/m is that it implements the new tire friction model. The Legacy f/m goes back to the old rather sloppy and sliding ground friction. The new one is better but not enough care was taken to address sudden grip by the nosewheel which creates the familiar twitchiness in take-off rolls. The params controlling how much the nosewheel steering backs off with more speed requires a lot of work by the devs. It is a nightmare to tweak, which is why some mods address this by simply cutting down on the steering lock/angle. This leads to insufficient turning circle and is not really the answer.

Another area needing attention is the propwash. Even if you apply zero values to this, you still get a lot of over-reactive nose up with the slightest elevator or rudder input squirming especially on the ground with throttle power.You can dial it out in other ways but then you'll get insufficient elevator authority when you need it (for example at the stall or spin entry). The legacy f/m has quite detailed and infinitely variable propwash effects for rudder and elevator and they work very well despite claims they do not exist.

Overall I think the modern f/m is capable and flexible, but there is nothing ground-breaking in practice. It is just somewhat different.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

From the guys who make and install the turbos. Ours might be a tad faster (we might have the WW sys III) and we don't usually have hot days in the sim.  I am off the find out.

232105342_performancecomparisonchart.JPG.a7d3d70b3b44ce20c5868be2304847b6.JPG

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

14 minutes ago, raymar said:

From the guys who make and install the turbos. Ours might be a tad faster (we might have the WW sys III) and we don't usually have hot days in the sim.  I am off the find out.

I looked over this as well as the Tornado Alley equivalents, which tend to be slightly faster. Most of the published speeds are probably assuming more conservative rpm settings (2400 rather than 2500). I chose the more optimistic figures in order to err on the side of speed. If you go here: https://taturbo.com/comments.html

you'll see comments from A36 and G36 owners on their turbo mods and the variance in speeds reported is quite large. Some report around 202-205 knots at 18,000 feet but one pilot claims 260 knots TAS with a following wind! Either way, the turbo engines give the Bonanza a new lease of life.

Great work and a big addition to the community. Unfortunately, for me the Bonanza is one of the aircraft that I can't control with my setup, only working for me are the Cub and the 930. Everything else is veering of the runway on take off (X52-Logitech Xtreme).

Hans

7 minutes ago, robert young said:

I looked over this as well as the Tornado Alley equivalents, which tend to be slightly faster. Most of the published speeds are probably assuming more conservative rpm settings (2400 rather than 2500). I chose the more optimistic figures in order to err on the side of speed. If you go here: https://taturbo.com/comments.html

you'll see comments from A36 and G36 owners on their turbo mods and the variance in speeds reported is quite large. Some report around 202-205 knots at 18,000 feet but one pilot claims 260 knots TAS with a following wind! Either way, the turbo engines give the Bonanza a new lease of life.

I will opt for speed.  I am yet to burn a cylinder head flying in the sim.  As long as gas is free, I fail to see why I need to land with a few more gallons in the tank than if I had flown balls to the wall.  I see already that I need to work on my throttles with FSUIPC, but, I purchased a new Thrustmaster Warthog with a promised delivery in about two weeks so I will wait for it and try to get it right from the beginning.

I can't develop 100% throttle or prop so my climbs are taking a little longer but, I just arrived at 17,500 feet for some speed runs.  Gotta go for now.

Thanks for the model.

Having the TAS readout is a nice feature and I can see if whether flying inside or outside the cabin.  Nice.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

3 hours ago, Stoopy said:

The new liveries are great and not that this effort needs anything additional, but just out of personal interest this weekend I am going to take a stab at merging the other liveries in with this mod, just so I can have my personal livery with walnut burl panel back.  Per the terms of the download agreement though, anything I come up with will stay on my computer only since I do understand we do not need to make his life complicated!  🙂

If you could get these working I would be very grateful.

http://www.allflightmods.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/g36-livery-pack/

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the Bonanza Turbo.  A great reminder of the golden days of Realair.  I hope you are fully fit again soon.