Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Bonanza Turbo Mod RELEASED

Mostly because I don't edit what I write Bert...

For the OP- please use the opposite methodology.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

ha got it!  can't believe I didn't see that.....thanks!

Thomas Derbyshire

5 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Anyone else having this issue during engine start, seems intermittent.  So I start cold and dark throttle all the way back, prop full forward, mixture off PARKING BRAKE ON.  I start the engine ready to engage the mixture and the aircraft just leaps forward does a cartwheel like I'm on full power with no brake??  All my controls are fully calibrated and I have never seen this behaviour with any other aircraft.

5 hours ago, flapsdown said:

Yes - ran into that just last night - odd thing, and purely anecdotal at this point, is that it was happening when starting from a very high altitude airport (Leadville CO, so around 10K feet), and only stopped when I had the mixture set appropriately (by basically guessing), on start up - so the mixture was very lean, but not off - was also having very, very touchy prop-rpm axis operation  on my Saitek throttle quad, and had to revert to using the virtual cockpit lever for RPM - both odd behaviors went away, when I moved to start flying from lower altitude starting points  - was still experimenting with this problem and was going to wait to mention it, until I saw your post...

1 hour ago, neucoas said:

It has happened consistently if I try to start the plane with mixture cutoff or extremely lean. 

I've PMd all 3 of you with a possible fix. Please let me know via PM if it worked. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

21 minutes ago, robert young said:

I've PMd all 3 of you with a possible fix. Please let me know via PM if it worked. Thank you.

PM reply sent...

Just completed a flight from NZCH to NZAA, max altitude FL250. Everything went very well, one of the best flights I've done, very rewarding! Thanks Robert for all your amazing contributions through all the years. I remember you from quite a while back as I am now 64 and have been using FS since the very beginning. 

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnh1984 said:

Just completed a flight from NZCH to NZAA, max altitude FL250. Everything went very well, one of the best flights I've done, very rewarding! Thanks Robert for all your amazing contributions through all the years. I remember you from quite a while back as I am now 64 and have been using FS since the very beginning. 

John

Thanks John. Glad you are enjoying it. I'm hoping V2 will be even better!

Edited by robert young
  • Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

At current flight with the following numbers, do these seem reasonable?

fl250 with 27 kt headwind

speed 133 kt

throttle 100

rpm 100

mixture 20

man in hg 22.2

rpm 2570

fflow 13.2

John

18 minutes ago, johnh1984 said:

fl250

That's one hell of a turbo you've got there. A normal Bonanza will (depending on weight) make it up to just over 18,000, the 'turbo-ised' version which this mod simulates will start losing power once it gets up past about 20,000 feet, but of course the other issue is how capable that wing is up at that altitude where the air is thin enough to require that turbo and how much stability the tail will provide in that thinner air.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

33 minutes ago, johnh1984 said:

At current flight with the following numbers, do these seem reasonable?

fl250 with 27 kt headwind

speed 133 kt

throttle 100

rpm 100

mixture 20

man in hg 22.2

rpm 2570

fflow 13.2

John

If you mean true airspeed (TAS) then without a head wind you should get over 190 knots (see table of cruise speeds/rpm/fuel flow in the rtf or pdf document). At FL250 you should be able to reduce your fuel flow in the direction of less than 13 gals/hr. That leaning should give you a higher speed. The fuel flow/mixture control is very sensitive at that altitude. I think if you pull mixture at that altitude to even lower than 20% you should get more speed.

For all all the 'I just did FL250' etc. posts:

Turbo or TN planes generally live in the high teens, being un-pressurized pistons... In the RW flying mid 20's on O2 is fairly dangerous, so most often you'll want to be 16.5-17.5 (highest VFR altitudes) and as high as FL210-230 max (IFR) to clear tops or for weather.

Just something to consider if wanting to replicate real world scenarios...

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 minute ago, Flyfaster said:

For all all the 'I just did FL250' etc. posts:

Turbo or TN planes generally live in the high teens, being un-pressurized pistons... In the RW flying mid 20's on O2 is fairly dangerous, so most often you'll want to be 16.5-17.5 (highest VFR altitudes) and as high as FL210-230 max (IFR) to clear tops or for weather.

Just something to consider if wanting to replicate real world scenarios...

Indeed. You get better performance anyway at FL160-180 for about the same fuel consumption for distance travelled. But it's fun to get near the smaller airliners and corpo jets occasionally.

• Like 1

I am enroute on the first flight with this mod and I love it! Only have two issues or thoughts really-

-Prop cycles extremely fast on a runup. I have not flown the Bonanza since the update so it may not be the mod. Have not tested it without yet. Fast power changes have the same effect.

-The strobe, nav, and beacon lights illuminate the cockpit and fuselage at night (at least during this flight) at a very uncomfortable level. The strakes at the leading edge of the wing by the wingtip light housing should prevent this... Unless you are in the clouds of course.

I may have missed these documented somewhere or said previously. Otherwise, I am having fun with this. I fly a turbo-normalized 182RG in the real world and, although it is a different machine completely, I find it crazy how much of a difference it makes. Well done thus far! (Also an avid RealAir legacy fan FYI 🙂 )

Edited by nrcrate
  • Like 1

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

2 minutes ago, nrcrate said:

I am enroute on the first flight with this mod and I love it! Only have two issues or thoughts really-

-Prop cycles extremely fast on a runup. I have not flown the Bonanza since the update so it may not be the mod. Have not tested it without yet. Fast power changes have the same effect.

-The strobe lights and beacon light up the cockpit and fuselage at night (at least during this flight) at a very uncomfortable level. The strakes at the leading edge of the wing by the wingtip light housing should prevent this... Unless you are in the clouds of course.

I may have missed these documented somewhere or said previously. Otherwise, I am having fun with this. I fly a turbo-normalized 182RG in the real world and, although it is a different machine completely, I find it crazy how much of a difference it makes. Well done thus far! (Also an avid RealAir legacy fan FYI 🙂 )

Hi Nick,

Version 2 will tone down the strobe and beacon leakage, or maybe offer an option of two lighting effect folders that you can mix and match. The very quick prop reaction was necessary to stop wild out-of-control prop on start up, but I just found a bug that caused it - with anything other than exactly 1.0 for the engine power global value so I had to speed up prop inertia to overcome it as I wanted a higher value of 1.0 for power.. V2 will overcome that bug.

All this will be fixed in V2, coming soon. However even if I slow down the prop, the default prop animation stops it on engine switch off extremely quickly and I think that is a hard coded prop animation in the default model.The C172 A1000 has a much better prop animation sadly not implemented in the default Bonanza and I cannot as yet get into the prop animations to tweak them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

So you sit in the left seat and you reduce the weight of the right wing... Why? 😉

Sadly it doesn't matter for me...I'm so heavy that I have sit right on the CG....if I pick a left or right seat...this happens:

You have to fast forward to 55 seconds.....

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg