Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

CTD Reset

I just want to be clear about this - CTDs are ALWAYS caused by hardware.  Oh sure they can happen when running a simulation or game or even Windows itself but the rule is the same.  

When I see these my first thought is to run a stress tester on my machine.  Windows logs will point you in the right direction but sometimes not much more.

Things to look at are cooling, overstressed or flaky memory, overheating, too high of an overclock and the big one - bad drivers. Even a perfectly stock machine can exhibit problems.

I only make this assertion because I have seen it firsthand on many computers running all kinds of software.  Just remember that a simulation like FS2020 is pushing your machine to very high levels.

If others are running an application without problems and you are getting CTDs then what would be your diagnoses?

Cheers and may the force be with you.

bs 

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Yeah, but all that stuff is hard, and requires effort and understanding.  Moaning on forums is way easier.

having said that, there are CTD's which can be brought on by a poorly coded app, but those are generally very easy to verify and reproduce.  (I seem to remember a Greenland based CTD in a previous version of P3D)  However, in particular the 0x0000000005 crashes are nearly always hardware.  I had a few in msfs, and they were my aggressive XMP settings for my memory.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

I just want to be clear about this - CTDs are ALWAYS caused by hardware. 

Sorry, but that's simply not true. There are many CTD's caused by software that are fixed with patches and have nothing to do with hardware.

• Upvote 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

So software can run all by itself?  Doesn't need memory or a cpu?  Do you know what a hardware interrupt is? 

Please explain.

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

4 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

So software can run all by itself?  Doesn't need memory or a cpu?  Please explain.

bs

Ok, if you want to troll, it won't be me. Bye.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

3 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

I just want to be clear about this - CTDs are ALWAYS caused by hardware.  

I initially thought this statement was rubbish, but on thinking back, I solved the initial CTD's I had by pulling back my overclocked CPU and graphics card a little bit.  Rock solid now.  So this was true for me. 👍

Edited by bobcat999
Adjusted
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

I just want to be clear about this - CTDs are ALWAYS caused by hardware

What utter rubbish. There, I fed you. ;-)

Now I am moving along to the next cage....

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Surely the point is this: in a situation where a load of people are running exactly the same app on different machines and one group are getting on just fine whereas the other are suffering CTDs, then the obvious place to look is differences in their setups. It could be any one of the following:

- hardware and config, including overclocking and non-standard bios settings, drivers etc

- software environment, including OS version and config, other apps running in background or foreground

- app mods and non-standard setup and any conflicts there

The evidence from the thousands of people running MSFS2020 just fine is that fundamentally the software is sound save for some feature improvements required.

those suffering CTDs however must, in the first instance at least, look to their own setup and ask themselves “why me?”.  The answer is almost certainly one or more of the causes outlined above. It’s very difficult to diagnose the specific issue impacting one person’s PC experience, but almost impossible for the software developers to do it on entirely different systems and setups.  Broad-based testing and diagnostic tools can help, but it’ll never help everyone.

finally, remember the few with the greatest issues (plus the trolls, of course) will always shout the loudest and cloud the impression given on forums such as this. Unfortunately, in more ways than one, the spotlight‘s on them.

• Like 1

I highly doubt the camera glitch followed by CTD is a result of a user hardware issue, given this is apparently a widely reported issue and didn't occur before the last patch.

Sadly the OP just strikes me as another hear/speak/see no evil where the developer and publisher is concerned, rather than acknowledging there are real bugs which need to be worked on so everyone gets a great in game experience.

• Like 3