Sign in to follow this  
Highonapproach

Second Hand Hardware

Hi I am recreational pilot no longer flying solo and am eager to do some flight sim. I have played around with an older version of  Xplane on my iMac. However, the more up to date versions require a better platform. I am a pensioner on a tight budget (getting tighter with the pandemic and financial situation). Is it feasible to get a decent platform for the latest Plane secondhand and if so what roughly am I up for - include a decent monitor. I am happy with minimum requirements specs rather than having plenty of reserve. Thanks guys 

Do you still want an iMac or are you planning to run on Windows?

You can get refurbished iMacs, in excellent condition, for several hundred dollars off.  

If you are really happy with minimum specs you can probably get that hardware used for free...people just throw that stuff away nowadays, it isn´t worth the hassle to enter everything in Ebay and then bicker and argue with potential customers. People just put their old monitors outside on the sidewalk here in the (vain) hope that someone picks it up so they don´t have to take it to the dump.

You will probably have to buy a joystick, though - those things have a lot of wear and tear and I would be careful buying one on Ebay...

Cheers, Jan

Just upgraded my ol machine would of being happy to give it away if you where in AUS, mind you it is a windoes mahine

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 1:02 AM, Janov said:

If you are really happy with minimum specs you can probably get that hardware used for free...people just throw that stuff away nowadays, it isn´t worth the hassle to enter everything in Ebay and then bicker and argue with potential customers. People just put their old monitors outside on the sidewalk here in the (vain) hope that someone picks it up so they don´t have to take it to the dump.

You will probably have to buy a joystick, though - those things have a lot of wear and tear and I would be careful buying one on Ebay...

Cheers, Jan

On 10/10/2020 at 6:33 AM, mjrhealth said:

Just upgraded my ol machine would of being happy to give it away if you where in AUS, mind you it is a windoes mahine

Im in Melbourne ( Rowville 3178). What version of XPlane would it support? Love to have it. I have all the controls including rudder bars and brakes and throttle. 

1 hour ago, Highonapproach said:

Im in Melbourne ( Rowville 3178). What version of XPlane would it support? Love to have it. I have all the controls including rudder bars and brakes and throttle. 

Its 4790k being running latest vulcan fine. Would need new case and Gpu as case 10 years old and im usung the 1070 out of it.Also gave to strip and clean the Psu its collected a bit of dust over the years

Edited by mjrhealth