Sign in to follow this  
kt069

"Press Any Key" - Ready to Fly ???

1 minute ago, UKflyer said:

Unfortunately not - 'skip pre-flight cinematics' only changes it from external camera to inside the cockpit, still having to select the ready to fly button 

Huh. I haven't tried it myself but I read several posts in the official forums saying that it's removed if you skip the cinematics. Thanks for the correction, I'll be removing that part from my post to prevent confusion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKflyer said:

both are pointless to me. I just want to get to the main menu when starting the sim then to the gate/apron when i click the first 'fly' button 🙂

Than you are one of the older generation. It is based on the new philosophy of Microsoft Windows. You just press one button and everything is done for you (this is how a designer understands the world of computing).

Too bad when there are highly educated and professional developers sitting and bringing the Press Any Key button to an infinite code loop.

"Press any key" is completely useless and should have been removed before release. I haven't seen a single argument to keep it.

"Press Any Key..." should be gone with the next update as I understand (or sometime soon).

"Ready To Fly?", after disabling preflight cinematics, is like a pause button at the end of a batch routine that sits there and waits for you.  Its not really in the way and as others have said, when you go away for a short minute, the sim is ready for you when you get back.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

To me, the most annoying thing about the "Press any key" is not the fact that I have to press the key - it's the fact that it happens in the middle of the loading process and stops loading while it's waiting for the user. So no matter what you do, you launch MSFS, you walk away from your computer for 1 minute (if you have a fast machine), you have to press a key just for the loading to resume, and then it takes another minute or so for the menu to appear. Multiply the times by 2-4 for slower machines. 

I wouldn't really mind to press keys if MSFS kept loading in the background... Although it'd still be stupid, at least I wouldn't have to babysit the load screens...

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

39 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Than you are one of the older generation. It is based on the new philosophy of Microsoft Windows. You just press one button and everything is done for you (this is how a designer understands the world of computing).

Too bad when there are highly educated and professional developers sitting and bringing the Press Any Key button to an infinite code loop.

mid 30s but always told i'm mature for my age!! 😉

It's been said many times before whether FS is viewed as a simulator or a game, both aimed at different audiences and we all know you're never going to please both!!

3 hours ago, UKflyer said:

it got the most votes on the wishlist so i'd say its a problem to a lot of us, nobody wants to be clicking pointless buttons when we could be flying instead!!

Most  of the things that got the most votes seemed to be from gamers and not serious simmers  so I wouldn't put much stock in that as a metric of  the most important fixes/improvements.

As far as the ready to fly button I would rather keep it. If you start from a parking spot you can see it's importance if you click it as soon as it appears, your plane will drop into it's parking spot. The ready to fly button gives things tine to settle in before you see them.

Edited by Phantoms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James

5 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

Most  of the things that got the most votes seemed to be from gamers and not serious simmers  so I wouldn't put much stock in that as a metric of  the most important fixes/improvements.

where is this information - the proportion of the votes by user type?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I’d prefer to keep this one; not knowing how long a given flight might take to load, I sometimes go and quickly do something else while it’s loading. The ‘ready to fly’ click saves me from blocking the runway if it happens to load really quickly.

I'm with you Scotch! I also like to do something else while it is loading.

Definitely looking forward to the "Press any key" to be gone!

Edited by Pugilist2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

From my research and understanding the function of the "Press Any Button to Continue" is from its Xbox aspirations.  On both PS and Xbox there is a minimum time to first user actionable items with the intent to make sure games don't take 10 minutes to load.  However games have gotten more complex and the requirements have not changed.  So what developers have done (And you will see this in almost every single large game) is you have a boot screen then hit a button and then it actually loads.  This fulfils the requirements of the program (Minimizes time from first user actionable item in this case pushing a button) while allowing you to load more after the fact that you may need.  I would not be surprised if this function is in the Xbox release but they made it clear its being made optionable in the PC release which makes sense as no such requirements exist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stona said:

If you are starting in the air the fly button gives you a chance to get your hands on the controller and ready to take control as soon as the plane starts.

Reason enough on its own to keep Ready to Fly.

It takes a while to load a flight so it's sensible to have that one click separating you from the action. You can go away from the screen and be ready to go with a single click or button press.  This screen and Press Any Key are lightyears apart.

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

i think it's removed in the next update (update 4), check the latest feedback snapshot.

Best Regards

Mohamed kaafar