Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Dumbed down version of FSX?

Guest flight

I just hope that Aces doesn't release a patch that takes away some of the great effects that are possible in FSX right now with the proper hardware. Personally, I'd rather they leave it just as it is if it means losing some of the bells and whistles.I've read a couple posts where someone said flying through the clouds (wisps) in the mountains almost brought tears to his eyes. Others that have said the sunsets/sunrises and the reflections in the water and buildings are amazing. It'd be awful to lose some of those things just because someone wants to run it on old hardware with 3rd party add-ons.I'm planning on getting a new computer specifically to run FSX, but I'd be gravely disappointed if a future patch took away some of these highlights, or others that have been experienced.

EXACTLY! I am all for the team trying to find a way to get better performance (which is badly needed by most) out of the sim, but I do not want to lose any of the features I have now. While there are many, many things that need to be improved, there are many, many great things in this product and I feel so many will never see that due to the bad performance and not give it a chance.I'll be getting a new rig after DX10/Vista comes out, not just for FSX (I do lots of CGI rendering and 3DSMax work as well as wanting upcoming games to run well) but the performance with DX10 is something I will be looking at before I do.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Why would they do that? Just what we need, more unfounded rumors.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest possum

> Why would they do that? Just what we need, more>unfounded rumors.>>DougI agree. All this kind of talk will achieve is panic.

Guest flight

I said I hope they don't. It's more of an encouragement that they don't dumb it down to satisfy the whiners. Just so 3rd party software can work on it. Maybe you two are third party software supporters? Wouldn't surprise me.Your answers to my post as far as I'm concerned were rude and off the mark. Pathetic.

Guest MattNW

I seriously doubt they are going to do that. FSX already has sliders which are there for that very purpose. For those without a top of the line computer they can always turn down a few settings. No reason to address that issue in a patch. Actually I don't think you'll see a patch until Windows Vista and DirectX 10 comes out along with hardware to run them. Microsoft isn't too hot on patches and most of the performance issues people have been having is related to not having Vista and DX 10. Once those are available I think Microsoft intends to release a patch to make FSX fully compatable with the new OS and hardware. Maybe in the process they'll change a few things and fix some problems but that should be that.

>to satisfy the whiners.actually it looks like the only whining going on here is from you

>>to satisfy the whiners.>>actually it looks like the only whining going on here is from>youwell that was pointless!Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

> Personally, I'd rather they leave it>just as it is if it means losing some of the bells and>whistles.Nobody will force you to install the patch, if there is one released.Wolfgang

>I can say this isnt on my radar.Hi Phil:Which isn't on your radar: a FSX patch at all, or a FSX patch which "dumbs down" detail?Thanks for commenting, Phil... it's great to hear from you on these matters!:-) GaryGB

I doubt anything would be deleted. If anything, you always have the original files. But I'm fairly surethey won't be doing anything to really dumb it down atall. I would think most tweaks would be fairly transparent. One note... There is no free lunch. If the puter is semi "dumb" being old or whatever, there is no escapinghaving to reduce some features to run well. Your sim can only be as "smart" as the hardware and OS it's running on. Some people will really need to upgrade if they want all the bells and whistles at a good frame rate. As an example, my 128 m video card is fairly obsolete asfar as FSX is concerned. It's not hard to fully load that video/texture memory, and bring things to a stuttering halt fps wise. IE: try KMIA on my box with lots of autogenand buildings, etc.. I'll get 8-10 fps if I'm lucky. And if I circle the airport a while, I'll load my videoram up, and the sim will actually dumb itself down tocope. IE: reduce texture res, etc.. "The blurries" This can also happen with the panel image too. It will reduceres and become less sharp. Once you fly out of the area, and things calm down, the high res images should return.So I can see I'm gonna need a 256 m vid card at the least.But... I accept that there is no free lunch.. BTW, yeaI agree. The graphics can look really good if you areover the right place. IE: I can circle a cessna over Houston, and with the proper major roads, and the textures,it's fairly believable. Some of the textures are pretty dang realistic. You can look down at houses, and see driveways, sidewalks, etc. And at much lower altitudes than FS9 could do. Coupled with the window reflections, it's almost like looking out a real aircraft window.. Yes, there are a fewareas that are not the greatest texture wise, "desert look"but those can be fixed to a degree fairly easily. South Texas is too brown in the winter. From the sim, youwould think you were in Nebraska. In real life, Houston stays green almost all year. We don't get the change of season like the northern states , unless it's a fluke of nature. You might see some brown, but always still plentyof green. As an example, our grass is still green here.There has been no cold wx yet. MK

>I said I hope they don't. It's more of an encouragement that>they don't dumb it down to satisfy the whiners. Just so 3rd>party software can work on it. Maybe you two are third party>software supporters? Wouldn't surprise me.>>Your answers to my post as far as I'm concerned were rude and>off the mark. Pathetic.So..you can call others who complain about the poor performance of FSX "Whiners" and that is not rude and pathetic?;)But about your main point.. I actually agree. I doubt they would reduce. In fact, I am one of the "whiners" but I refuse to add low resolution textures (suggested tweaks) to get more FPS. But I also want 3rd party addons. I believe, its only mediocrity that settles with the default flight sim (with the exception of the ones who cannot afford addons or casual simmers). I apologize for my rude opinion that I am entitled to.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Well I'd be happy if there was an FS9 max slider equivalent mode built into FSX. Yes I realise that you can turn FSX sliders down to make it look roughly like what FS9 on max sliders looks like, but I'd also like to have the same frame rate I get in FS9 with such a setting, rather than 1/2 to a 1/4 of the performance. At least FS2004 gave us this over FS2002. That way, I'd be satisfied that 3rd party addons for FSX would at least have a workable starting baseline for performance of their addons, rather than the not much that we are currently seeing with FSX.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11