Hello to my fellow FS 2020 Flight simmer pilots.

I've been seeing in the last couple of days that there's a roomer that in the October 15th upgrade, the blind who needs to see via their ears will finaly be able to enjoy FS 2020 as well?

Here's hoping that the reoomers will be true for we who needs to see via our ears since our eyes don't work.

Here's to hopefully, finally be able to enjoy fs 2020 as much as we once did with the older fsx program.

Also, Here's hoping to see a DF8X aircraft to fly within FS 2020 as well.

The DF8X is the successor to the older Dassault Falcon 7X try-jet aircraft.

It has a 6,500 Notical Mile range with a top sealing of a level flight level of 510 feet.

Many thanks. 

Ron AKA The Blind Pilot

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Blind Pilot said:

I've been seeing in the last couple of days that there's a roomer that in the October 15th upgrade, the blind who needs to see via their ears will finaly be able to enjoy FS 2020 as well?

Here's hoping that the reoomers will be true for we who needs to see via our ears since our eyes don't work.

Here's to hopefully, finally be able to enjoy fs 2020 as much as we once did with the older fsx program.

It has a 6,500 Notical Mile range with a top sealing of a level flight level of 510 feet.

Many thanks. 

Ron AKA The Blind Pilot

Hello Ron. 

I have not seen anything of that nature going around, just like i have never heard that one could see with his ears. is that really a thing? How does it work?

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

i have never heard that one could see with his ears. is that really a thing? How does it work?

They use audible cues to interpret the situation. For example, in Ideal Flight, flute tones and guitar plucks indicate the attitude and course of the aircraft: Louder plucks in the left indicate the aircraft is heading further left of the required course in the plan or on the runway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

14 minutes ago, PuffeB said:

Thanks, PuffeB, that's pretty amazing.

Ron, you have my best wishes for success.  My wife has retinopathy of prematurity, currently has one eye with about 20/60 or less vision and only a few degrees of peripheral vision.  She still gets around, but I'm familiar with the problems.

I knew a guy who was legally blind, vision wasn't much better than my wife's, who had a driver's license.  I rode with him once.  He'd park in a handicapped spot, get out with his white cane, and when walking looked everywhere but where he was going.  But he was a surprisingly good driver.

Good luck!

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Another aspect of accessibility is to enable the common screen readers, such as Narrator and NVDA, to read out what items are being selected in a program menu or edit control. Unfortunately this aspect is not implemented in the usual flight simulators. It was hoped that the new MSFS would allow screen readers to interpret what is happening in the simulator menus at least.

Some programs are available that help blind pilots to get started with a flight. In ideal Flight for example, an entire flight can be planned with explicit support for screen readers, and when in flight many aspects of aircraft controls, switches, and attitude are spoken with a codelegend custom SAPI driver which is a true multi-tasking program that selects cores away from the simulator main cores and speaks with any installed voice desired.

I have requested that LM and MS incorporate at the very least, inter process signaling for things such as which menu items are being selected, so that Ideal Flight and other programs can speak out this activity. Alternatively they could make it available for regular screen readers or possibly speak out this information from the simulator itself.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SteveW said:

They use audible cues to interpret the situation. For example, in Ideal Flight, flute tones and guitar plucks indicate the attitude and course of the aircraft: Louder plucks in the left indicate the aircraft is heading further left of the required course in the plan or on the runway.

Geez, okay, thats pretty mind blowing. Pretty much like the audible VS indicator on gliders then, but for all axis, all situations. The concentration you must have to land a plane that way!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

The concentration you must have to land a plane that way!

The blind pilots I've been working with are amazing, and they totally know their flight sims.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Many thanks for your support Steve.

Here's hoping that Microsoft will listen to us.

I would prefer the screen reader JAWS for windows over NVDA and or Narrator.

Just my opinion.

But, yes, we take flying as serious as the sighted do.

I know if I were sighted, I would have had a career in the air and also hoped that I would have made the right stuff for the NASA's STS AKA Space Shuttle Program, and also would hope to serve a tour of duty onboard ISS.

Or at least, be able to swim in the world largest indoor pool at the Johnson Space Center in Houston TX to have a hands on tour of the ISS.

Many thanks once again for the Support. 

Ron Ham Radio Station and Emergency Communication Station, both by the call sign of KR3DOG

• Like 3

THIS. THIS is one of the most amazing things involving the human being that I've seen on the internet. I have yet again learned something new, thank you. :cool:🍻

• Like 6

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 hours ago, Blind Pilot said:

Many thanks. 

Ron AKA The Blind Pilot

Hi Ron.. I know that many years back we had a large group of Blind Pilots using a piece of software called..  "It's your plane"  and we had many enjoyable multiplayer flights together...  I always was amazed at how accurately the pilotage was from some of my friends who could not see most of them were better flyers than I was 🙂

I hope that something comes to MSFS that allows the same for you today.

Graham

• Like 3

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Many thanks for your support to both Graham, and all of the others who responded to my original letter.

Here's hoping that Microsoft will ask for our input and give us just a chance to prove ourselves.

We're only asking for a level playing field, but of course with our blindness in mind.

For an example, I interact with my pc via voice input and or via keyboard commands input, and via the screen reader, I receive audio output for my confirmation on what I'm doing.

Here's an example that i share with sighted beta testing partners, when I work on a beta testing project.

I ask them to ask them selves the following question.

I just saw this info on my monitor with my eyes opened.

How do I get across to someone who needs to see via their fingertips and or via their ears since their eyes don't work?

Simple, add a little extra detailed audio narration.

Here's a good example that we all can relate too.

Let's take reading, since we all need to read, for enjoyment, for education, and or for employment, or for what ever.

If you're sighted, you probably would scan over the ink print that's on the page and read it with your vision.

You also might purchase the cdc copy of the book and listen to a volunteer reader, read the book to you as well.

For me to read the same information, I would probably get someone to transcribe the book into braille, or also get the cdc audio copy of the book as well.

In short, we read the same book with the same material within the book.

You retained the info within the book in the best way that works for you and for me as well, in a different way that work's out the best for me.

For Flying you tube videos.

Think about it for a second.

If there's a video with just music and the graphics is suppose to teach you how to fly, that wouldn't work out for someone who needs to see via one's ears.

Also, if there's a video with just engine sounds, this too, wouldn't work out for we who need to see via their ears.

So, if there's anyone who designs you tube videos and sees this letter, we hope that this feedback will help you to take a few minutes and think about who we too may enjoy and learn from your video.

The old saying that one picture will say a thousand words.

But if you can't see that picture, it doesn't tell you a thing.

Many thanks for all of the support. 

Ron Who would love to be able to start using fs 2020 like all of his fellow flight sim pilots can do with their vision.

• Like 1

@Blind Pilot

Ron-

I have learned so much today, thanks!  My only experience in this was a day when a blind pilot spawned on the runway whilst I too was on Vatsim in the taxi queue.  I've been scratching my head about that ever since- that was cleared up today. If the next update doesn't have what you need, start a wish list topic with Asobo and I will support it.

The other thing that amazes me, is that my FS computer guru @SteveW is also yours... what a really great guy!

Fly healthy and safe Ron!

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

When you think about it, providing a blind pilot has access to instrument data, they are at no disadvantage whatsoever flying in IFR conditions like heavy cloud.

• Like 1

Is there a suggestion topic on the official forums for us to vote up? I would vote that up I have a friend who is legally blind and for them some TTS would be a big help if they could like hover over say the altimeter and it tells them the current altitude or compass tells them the bearing.  I would upvote for increased TTS support at least and really anything that helps with accesibility.

• Like 1