Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Microsoft Virtual Earth 3D Launched

Microsoft just launched their response to "Google Earth" and the results are nothing short of stunning. Major cities all feature 3D models of virtually all buildings and landmarks.Could this mean the end for autogen and the "hello" to true 3D buildings that are being pulled from a MS cluster? Certainly a thought that might be worth considering.http://local.live.comPat

Its a preview of FS11...I think MS had this before google but google got theirs out earlier...just a guessBill

Go figure MS makes you use IE for it, I'll pass.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Pat, you wrote:<< end for autogen and the "hello" to true 3D buildings that are being pulled from a MS cluster>>I'd guess the community would revolt if only objects in the sim were located at the short list of cities that are imaged here.

Would really be nice if they made it Firefox-compatible.... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

>How original they are in their creativity. lolWell, Google didn't exactly think of it first either. They bought Google Earth from Key Hole.For MS to put it into a browser instead of stand alone application is a first.Matt

>Would really be nice if they made it Firefox-compatible....>:(>From what I've heard, that is being worked on.Matt

>Pat, you wrote:>>><< end for autogen and the "hello" to true 3D buildings that>are being pulled from a MS cluster>>>>I'd guess the community would revolt if only objects in the>sim were located at the short list of cities that are imaged>here. >>Well....they could do some cities in 3D detail and others with standard autogen. Kind of like they do now.If they have some technology that generates the 3D buildings more or less automatically, then could cover very large areas. Be interesting to see how their 3D coverage expands over the coming months.

I would almost bet that this is what is going to happen in the future. Streaming satellite data with 3D objects where available and/or autogen where no data is available, plus alpha textures for seasonal changes and nighttime. It's an impressive start, but I think there's much more to come.Pat

Guest Jimbofly

Wrong.Google Maps does just that.James

>Wrong.>>Google Maps does just that.>>JamesHow do you figure? Google maps is strictly 2D top-down view.MS VE is more comparable to Google Earth.Matt

Guest david W.

>>How do you figure? Google maps is strictly 2D top-down view.>In google you can click and hold down on the plus or minus buttons to tilt your view from the 2D top down to a 3D side view, which gives you a 3D view of mountains & hills. You can also rotate the view by dragging on the circle. You can also then place your mouse hand on the scenery and give it a small tug, and you will glide over the mountains at a constant speed.I updated my Google Earth in July with the beta, and it has a nice tool in the top right corner for doing this.regardsDavid