Sign in to follow this  
Guest alexitobites

Trying to understand the default.xml

Guest alexitobites

As I found out that disabling the default.xml was the "best" tweak for my midrange computer, I'm trying to make some manual changes to the default.xml ... for which I need your help.I'm trying to deactivate ALL buildings except the trees. When you look at my attached Screenshot it maybe gets clearer what I mean. I want to keep those trees (shown by the left arrow) and get rid of those buildings shown by the right arrow.At the moment I've deactiviated all library objects with following method. For example: Urban Buildings Small Modern 23x1500000000000000000000000000000000The only objects I've left are the trees (or better the objects I that I think that are the trees):z_Poplar Trees 8x8ee0be4417f4f44e49853e65300fe8d4fMY PROBLEM now is that there must be other objects in the default.xml that shows trees. Because with my changed xml i get rid of the buildings but the trees do also dissapear.Has anyone an idea which entries in the xml are responsible for those buildings I am talking and which are responsible for all the trees and shrubs.I've already tried "rhumbaflappy's" default.xml, but this one still contains the buildings I don't want (see this topic: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=1222&page=)Thanks for your help,alexito http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160737.jpg

Would it not just be easier to do as PC-12 (ACES Dev) suggested in his blog?Cut and pasted here for reference:Autogen tweak that might help Many of you have been frustrated that you can't control the density of autogen trees verses buildings because we only have one slider to cover both of them. Some have also been frustrated that our lowest autogen setting is more dense than FS2004 at max density.If you add these two lines to the [TERRAIN] section of your FSX.CFG, you can define the max number of objects in a terrain cell for trees and buildings independently. The slider will scale down from the numbers you set as the slider is moved to the left. The max tree value in FSX as released is coded to default to 4500 and the building default is 3000 (as shown below) and the absolute max FSX will recognize at all is 6000. Of course if you raise the values beyond the defaults, you will obviously be increasing density and lowering fps (so don't complain if you do this...). The point in sharing this information is that with these settings you can specify what the values are yourself. I had to edit this post because of a bug. Be sure not to set either number to 0 as that will cause problems, but setting it to a very lower number will give you nearly 0 objects.TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000I hope this is helpful!

Guest alexitobites

@gjharrallThanks for your fast reply. But this seems not to help in this case. As far as I understood, there must be different autogen buildings. Some "general" and some "specials". Those specials are described in the default.xml.Making changes to TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000does not affect those special buildings. Even when I set the TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=0 I still have those buildings shown in my screenshot.So the only way to get rid of them was to make the changes in the xml.

Aha, I see said the blind man!I haven't tried, but can you just disable the default.xml as in FS9 and lose the 'specials'?EDIT: Nevermind....you lose the tree then too. Sorry!Glenn

Guest alexitobites

yep, thats exactly what happens :-)

Guest alexitobites

I just wanted to bring up this thread again, as till now I couldn't find an answer to my question.Any help?Thanks and greetingsalexito