Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Live Weather is no longer immersive!

Took of from KPHL tonight to make a flight over to Long Island. It was perfectly clear departing KPHL.

I've flown this sim over 187 hours now - and it's pretty easy to tell when there has been a marked change in something.

So I was flying along getting closer to the east coast and although a slow transition, it was VERY noticeable and within like 3-5 minutes the skies were full of clouds and lightning all around! It wasn't like before the patch where we would fly and see the clouds coming up on the horizon, no this just kind of "filled in" all around me. Felt like I was going back to P3D / FSX...

If I want transition of weather and fade ins/outs I will use older software or go buy the REX addon (once they fix it to work with this new patch).

Maybe this is just some fluke experience, anyone else seeing this?

What the hell is going on?

As the resident with weather experience here I find this absolutely embarrassing. All the way back to the early '90s and Flight Assignment ATP we have had much better weather than this, even with default.  I have seen another topic here today where a member used a few too many exclamation points to express his frustration and I am equally embarrassed at the ridicule and chiding he was bombarded with.  To me this is like "You American customers want thunder and lightening? Well we'll give you some thunder and lightening..." 

And to introduce it in such excess in one update and not correct it in the next is "word not allowed".  Perhaps it is just a ploy to turn us away from the marginal quality live weather.  Like buying time until...?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

There are three parts of the weather system:

1. The weather physics, how different wheather phenomenon and effects react to the other. I saw a rainbow appear for the first time yesterday, it was amazing. 

2. How the weather looks. I think it's fantastic. I've never seen anything like this in a simulator before. Just top notch.

3. The weather engine which determines what weather should be where, where the transitions should be and how. I think this is the area that needs improvement. The transitions must be better, and we need accurate weather according to the METAR data at each airport. I think what they've tried to do so far is model the weather from Meteoblue, and hoping this would generate weather accurate to reality at any point. If they could nail that, it would be incredible. 

I personally use Windy (dot) com to find interesting weather, or to check the conditions of an area before I load up a flight. It's been pretty accurate with Flight Simulator so far.

Then there's of course some bugs here and there. Like the lightning and thunder from random places with good weather. This is fixable. 

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

19 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

There are three parts of the weather system:

3. The weather engine which determines what weather should be where, where the transitions should be and how. I think this is the area that needs improvement. The transitions must be better, and we need accurate weather according to the METAR data at each airport.

Well this is just my point, there weren't "transitions" ever before at least in release version - it was seamless from one weather biome to another and was very realistic and immersive. Now we appear to be getting transitions instead of weather/clouds "kind of being where there are" if you will... The transitions really kill the immersion. Also been flying for hundreds and hundreds of miles in the Northeast and its just like the same cloud layer... forever. Maybe I'm just having an "off" weather night. Happened before. I swear someone is sitting in a room somewhere just building all these weather scenarios and sitting back watching the comments on all the forums. Sometimes they will plug in the weather like it really should be in the real world (hence the WOW! posts), then just like throw anything out there and see the reaction.

Ughh. Yes time to go take care of the garden.

2 hours ago, Republic3D said:

Like the lightning and thunder from random places with good weather.

If you have experienced that and have been comfortable with it, then I am guessing you had a long career as a drummer in a rock band.  LOL!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

19 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

It has never been immersive ... 

it always has been and still is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wim123 said:

it always has been and still is.

It's and it has been always wrong. How is that immersive?

4 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

It's and it has been always wrong. How is that immersive?

Better than anything I have seen before

• Like 6

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Hi guys, see you all got out the bed the right side today!

If you could point me to a sim were the weather looks anything like it does in MSFS and is correct 100% of the time please place a link.

Thank you.

• Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just now, Nyxx said:

Hi guys, see you all got out the bed the right side today!

If you could point me to a sim were the weather looks anything like it does in MSFS and is correct 100% of the time please place a link.

Thank you.

Never saw a simulator where everytime there's a cloud there's also a thunderstorm, not mentioning everytime the weather in MSFS never matches real world temperature, pressure, wind, visibility or ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

Never saw a simulator where everytime there's a cloud there's also a thunderstorm, not mentioning everytime the weather in MSFS never matches real world temperature, pressure, wind, visibility or ceiling.

Lightning issue was never everywhere, and has been fixed now (for me at least) in the latest patch. Live weather in MSFS is usually near the reality, but often off in some aspects.

After decades of 2d billboards / sprites with poor or no colouring, uniform winds, poor atmospherics, poor or no transitions, no local air flows around obstacles etc. etc., I find live weather in MSFS very immersive.

• Like 5

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Lightning issue was never everywhere, and has been fixed now (for me at least) in the latest patch. Live weather in MSFS is usually near the reality, but often off in some aspects.

After decades of 2d billboards / sprites with poor or no colouring, uniform winds, poor atmospherics, poor or no transitions, no local air flows around obstacles etc. etc., I find live weather in MSFS very immersive.

Ok, I respect your opinion. A weather system which has been sponsored to be "Live" but in at least 50% of times isn't live, is far from being immersive in my opinion ... 

18 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

Not perfect buts its getting there,I see plenty of clouds where there are no thunderstorms

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

30 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

Actually, I have...  Didn't FSUIPC or HiFi have to add a feature to suppress thunderstorms in certain situations?  I thought that went back to FS9... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg