Sign in to follow this  
Guest blackswan

[HowTo] Create a Simple Flatten or Exclude

Guest blackswan

hi,Could somebody tell me how to create a simple Flatten or Exclude? In FS9 I was able to put the entries into scenery.cfg. But in FSX, it seems not to work. What am I doing wrong?Thanks,cheers,tobi

>hi,>>Could somebody tell me how to create a simple Flatten or>Exclude? In FS9 I was able to put the entries into>scenery.cfg. But in FSX, it seems not to work. What am I doing>wrong?>>Thanks,>>cheers,>tobiFlattens are created with the Shp2Vec tool from the Terrain SDK (which ships with the Deluxe version of FSX). Have a look on www.fsdeveloper.com forums for discussion of the process and growing body of tools to feed Shp2Vec.Autogen exclusions and vector exclusions are created with Shp2Vec. Scenery object exclusions are created with BglComp SDK tool.-Doug

Guest blackswan

Thanks a lot...cheers,tobi

Guest tex99999

Hi Doug,I am having a similar problem but with 2004 (I have too much time invested to switch).I am trying to do 2 things Flatten an "out of the way" area to create an airport and after Cover the area with a bitmap created from the new Google earth at 1.5 km height. I have two bmp's 1 orinted N up and 1 oriented to the road.I created a simple runway/airport with Afcad and placed the bgl in addon/scenery. I also created a folder addon/CA51/scenery/CA51.bgl and added this to my scnery. Then I added at the end of the sceney.cfg file the flatten =.... with O in feet(?)and the four corners going counter clockwise. Nothing happened?Can you HelpJon

>hi,>>Could somebody tell me how to create a simple Flatten or>Exclude? In FS9 I was able to put the entries into>scenery.cfg. But in FSX, it seems not to work. What am I doing>wrong?>>Thanks,>>cheers,>tobiTobi,I'm glad the others answered your question...and if I might add:I specifically remember the FS developers saying that they were getting rid of putting the flattens in the scenery.cfg file. The reason they gave was that they keep backwards compatibility one version back.Since scenery.cfg flattens was an FS2002 feature, that's why it is no longer supported I guess. It's two versions back now.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just to clarify, They don't get rid of things just because they are multiple versions back. ACES attempts to support features as long as they can. But when a feature gets in the way of functionality, out it goes. In this particular case, I don't know the details, but I do know there was a bug in the way flattens were handled up through FS9. The only way to remove a flatten was to edit the file which contained it.Now, in FSX, you can supposedly just exclude flattens. I imagine that this required a change and the old methodology had to go.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Haven't tried it, but according to the SDK, exclusions in the scenery.cfg file are still supported. Creating a flatten with a shapefile is straight forward, though folks are still working on tools that would link to FSX to obtain the position coordinate data. If you can obtain your coordinates elsewhere (such as Google earth or other source) there are several tools that can make the shapefiles. At this point until the scenery design programs are ready you will have to do some manual data entry using the SDK info.scott s..