Sign in to follow this  
Rob Haynes

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT or a Intel Core i5-10600K??

Looking to try and take advantage of some Amazon Prime deals and looking at a new MOBO and CPU.

I found this Prime Deal on a AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT packaged with a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MOBO.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K3FDVWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

One of the guys in my iRacing group recommended looking at an i5-10600K since it has faster processing speed and will save me some money.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-10600K-Desktop-Processor-Unlocked/dp/B086MHSH2C/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=10600k&qid=1602637106&sr=8-17

I'm clueless when it comes to computer hardware. Which would you guys recommend for P3Dv4.5, iRacing and future MSFS2020 action? I'm looking for good FPS in P3D without having to go below medium in the settings. At some point I will begin to run either triple monitors or use VR for sim racing, too.

Thanks!

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

I think if you went with the 10600K you'd have to get a new board as well as don't think the Z97 would support Intel 10th generation CPUs.

If you decide to go with AMD you'd probably be best off waiting for 5000 series due out next month. If you didn't want to spend that much then you could pick up one of the 3000 series after the Zen 3 launch. I probably wouldn't bother going for the XT version unless the $ difference is quite small. If it's a toss-up between the 10600K or 3800XT I think for your needs the 10600K might edge it - especially if you overclock it a bit.

All that being said if you went with a new CPU be it a 10600K, 3800XT or new Zen 3 you'd probably want to look at upgrading your GPU as well - especially if you wan to run triple monitor or use VR.

That price is definitely a good deal. However, regardless whether you get a new AMD or Intel CPU, you will also need new memory. You currently have DDR3 and these newer boards use DDR4. Also as was mentioned above you also should consider getting a new graphics card as well. And yes you will need a new motherboard (Z490) with a new Intel CPU.  Also might need a new CPU cooler depending on what you have now? So either way you're looking at spending a fair amount of money.

Thank for the input and sorry I left out some info in my first post.

I will be upgrading my CPU, MOBO, RAM and GPU with this purchase. Just not sure what would be best on the CPU side of things. I have a water cooler on my computer right now, but might upgrade to something stronger if needed. All in all, I'm looking to spend around a $1,000 on the upgrades.

I will most likely wait until next month when the new GTX3070's are available for the GPU.

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

1 hour ago, Rob Haynes said:

All in all, I'm looking to spend around a $1,000 on the upgrades.

You could get e.g. a 10600K + MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk (or pick any other mid-range $200 board based on reviews) + 32GB 3600 CL16 RAM for about $645. Then if you're lucky enough to be able to get a 3070 @ $500 that would complete your upgrades for about $1150.

i upgraded from a i7 4790k  to  i7 10700k  and don't regret it. Got a  RTX 2070super  and MSFS2020 runs very well in high settings over new york  about 42 FPS on a 2K monitor.

So u got a 10700k an Intel over an AMD.  Bottom line is the Sim butter smooth ? And none of those nagging stutters !!!!

Thus, why r people so hung up on frames ? How the Sim performs is the reason why we get satisfaction and enjoyment.    Yes, AMD most likely performs better in other applications, but in bench mark related to flight simulator 2020, theirs not much of a significant difference.