Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Bonanza Turbo V2 RELEASED

9 hours ago, aurel42 said:

It is [edit: no, it was] a silly problem, so everything goes. 😄

When loading the Bonanza at a parking spot, the left tank is selected by default. The left tank is not empty. During priming, the fuel-flow-o-meter shows 16.3 GpH with the throttle fully open. I tried switching tanks, to make sure the fuel valve knob isn't in some uninitialized state after loading the aircraft.

While re-testing this for the umpteenth time, I finally had the idea to go through the startup using just the mouse. And, voilà, the engine started.

I think the root cause of this is that most buttons on peripheral hardware are "one-shot" controls. They command the starter and immediately switch off. That is not how the core MSFS starter switch works, as you can hold down the starter button with the mouse (as you would also keeping the starter cranking in the real aircraft) and after a second or more the Bonanza will fire up. I have set the Bonanza so it does not fire up as if by magic from a cold start. This means you need to crank the starter from cold with more than a quick blip. It works fine with a mouse, but unless your dedicated hardware button is always "on" until you switch it back to "off", it is not actually emulating a proper starter switch.

One solution would be to repeatedly press the switch when the Bonanza is cold. Once the temp gauges show the temp has increased the starter time is roughly halved.

The solution in your case is to edit the engines.cfg file and increase the value of the normalise_starter_ torque, and/or increase the starter time. I think for V3 (which will appear soon in answer to the last MSFS update) I will include an alternate engines.cfg file for those who want to use a hardware switch for starting.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

14 minutes ago, robert young said:

I think the root cause of this is that most buttons on peripheral hardware are "one-shot" controls. They command the starter and immediately switch off. That is not how the core MSFS starter switch works, as you can hold down the starter button with the mouse (as you would also keeping the starter cranking in the real aircraft) and after a second or more the Bonanza will fire up. I have set the Bonanza so it does not fire up as if by magic from a cold start. This means you need to crank the starter from cold with more than a quick blip. It works fine with a mouse, but unless your dedicated hardware button is always "on" until you switch it back to "off", it is not actually emulating a proper starter switch.

One solution would be to repeatedly press the switch when the Bonanza is cold. Once the temp gauges show the temp has increased the starter time is roughly halved.

The solution in your case is to edit the engines.cfg file and increase the value of the normalise_starter_ torque, and/or increase the starter time. I think for V3 (which will appear soon in answer to the last MSFS update) I will include an alternate engines.cfg file for those who want to use a hardware switch for starting.

Of course most peripherals do not have a spring return on the start function so, in theory, on an accurately modelled sim, you would either flatten the battery or damage the starter if you forget to flick back to just "both" .

13 minutes ago, robert young said:

I think the root cause of this is that most buttons on peripheral hardware are "one-shot" controls. They command the starter and immediately switch off. That is not how the core MSFS starter switch works, as you can hold down the starter button with the mouse (as you would also keeping the starter cranking in the real aircraft) and after a second or more the Bonanza will fire up.

While this is a very good point, I don't think it's applicable to my case: I'm using the "Ignition" switches on the Warthog, they are spring-loaded switches (not buttons) configured via FSUIPC (without "repeat" option) that will send the "button down" event when I move them to the up position and the "button release" event when I let go (and the spring will return them to the center position).

If the key animation is anything to go by: I press and hold the switch and the key stays in the "Start" position until I release the switch, then the key will return to "Both".

If “hold” repeat is enabled in FSUIPC so the command is repeatedly sent when holding down the switch it may solve the issue...

HTH- C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

3 hours ago, jpe828 said:

In V3, will you incorporate any of the mods the folks modifying the non turbo Bo have done. The two I am thinking of are eliminating the Pitot Heat warning on the PFD, and incorporating some bus tie logic. Looking forward to it. 

Using other mods that are standalone is a good thing. For example the G1000 mod works perfectly with the Turbo Bonanza and it works as far as I know with many other addon aircraft and default aircraft. It's a shining example of a mod which does not need to change core files of another existing mod. Incorporating other mods as a working part of a complex existing mod can lead to confusion, cross mod support that often cannot identify who should be responsible, and when MSFS is regularly updated, as we have seen recently, it often requires a back to the drawing board new version of an existing mod, which in turn might need a re-write of yet another dependent mod.

When or if things settle down and Asobo gets around to releasing an update that doesn't require a complete or nearly complete re-write of a perfectly well-working existing mod, then it will be much easier to cross-fertilise multiple mods. But for now there is no hurry. If you wish to stop the pitot warning you can edit the default files. I could do this and include it in the Bonanza Turbo mod for the next update, but it would require a change in the already changing file structure and require a lot of additional files and folders just for one tiny tweak..

I'd rather wait for a reasonably long lasting MSFS update and then sort out all the coordination between mods.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

28 minutes ago, aurel42 said:

If the key animation is anything to go by: I press and hold the switch and the key stays in the "Start" position until I release the switch, then the key will return to "Both".

Actually, this is incorrect. The key animation seems to be of fixed length and does not reflect how long I hold the switch. I guess my assumption that this switch would work in MFS/FSUIPC7 in a similar way to P3D/FSUIPC6 was wrong.

6 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Is “hold” enabled in FSUIPC so the command is repeatedly sent when holding down the switch? That may solve the issue.

No, it was not, that's what I meant when I said "without 'repeat' option", at least I assume we're both talking about "control to repeat while held".

And, yes, this option solved the issue, tyvm!

Glad it worked... this TN Bonanza is too wonderful not to support!

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I can't stay out of this beauty... someone recently reminded me that MSFS is a simulator, and as such, I was at liberty to go places, and do things in the sim, I would never do IRL... so-
MERCI @ASOBO & @robert young!

BXUh3F9.jpg

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

12 hours ago, robert young said:

I

Question about the added liveries with the latest update.

Does this mean than every livery needs the model folder and model.cfg to go inside the mod folder?

I mean for each repaint, or can we get away with just one model folder in your v2 mod?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

I can't stay out of this beauty... someone recently reminded me that MSFS is a simulator, and as such, I was at liberty to go places, and do things in the sim, I would never do IRL... so-
MERCI @ASOBO & @robert young!

Can't wait for our next flight in her together @cavaricooper!

Having just figured out the issue that was befuddling me about the control behavior in this wonderful @robert young masterpiece, I had to take a quick flight from Tampa to Orlando this morning....the sunrise was spectacular (of course)

If you find the elevator completely wonky when you put this mod in...check to make sure your sim didn't somehow change the Flight Model from Modern to Legacy!

L4cZ3I.jpg

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

Question about the added liveries with the latest update.

Does this mean than every livery needs the model folder and model.cfg to go inside the mod folder?

I mean for each repaint, or can we get away with just one model folder in your v2 mod?

Hi Jose,

I've tried every possible combination and the only thing that works reliably is to create separate model folders for each livery. But you have to do more than that as the mod uses a custom interior and default exterior model. To make them combine I had to change the coding in the model.xml files. I also am changing the flight model because the MSFS update slightly changed the feel of the controls. I hope to upload V3 later this week when testing is completed.

• Like 2

Robert, I am having no issues with the liveries for the Turbo Bonanza while running the latest hotfix (1.10.8.0). They are all showing up for me. I moved all the contents of my community folder to a different location before installing last week's patch (1.10.7.0), and then I moved them back after the installation was successful. I am having none of the issues that many other users have reported. Liveries are working. No crashes. 

14 minutes ago, Marc Collins said:

Robert, I am having no issues with the liveries for the Turbo Bonanza while running the latest hotfix (1.10.8.0). They are all showing up for me. I moved all the contents of my community folder to a different location before installing last week's patch (1.10.7.0), and then I moved them back after the installation was successful. I am having none of the issues that many other users have reported. Liveries are working. No crashes. 

That's good news but unfortunately other people see no liveries and nobody can quite work out why that is happening. So V3 will be an update that should guarantee everyone sees the liveries.

2 minutes ago, robert young said:

That's good news but unfortunately other people see no liveries and nobody can quite work out why that is happening. So V3 will be an update that should guarantee everyone sees the liveries.

I too have no probs seeing the liveries after latest hot fix weird..

Thomas Derbyshire

It's not that the extra liveries don't show up, they do but if you go to the hangar you can switch unless you do what the YT video I posted suggests. So ASOBO changed something that drove me crazy on the day the patch was released.

All the new updated liveries that I've downloaded all have a model folder and model.cfg inside of the folder.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.