Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSDT Vancouver V2 imminent...

Just now, Manny said:

Why can't their update program pick where its installed from the regedit? I don't get their convoluted logic of forcing us their own process. They seem so trigger happy to go away from standard so easily. 

You still don't understand what is happening here. The installer obviously DOES recognize the MSFS location: how else you think the scenery would show up otherwise ? It's just that, instead of polluting your MSFS install with hundreds of files, it will just place a symbolic link there.

Again, that's what OrbX does too, and it's a smart choice. It's the same as when P3D4 came out: users entrenched in hold habits attacked us for installing OUTSIDE the sim, as LM suggests. Because, of course, we are always the first doing something right. Today, users finally understood how much better is to install outside the sim, and almost every developer NOW follow that approach.

Just now, Manny said:

Now my MSFS addons are spread over multiple disks. I had installed P3D4_5 in a totally different HD and now this is going to sit there instead of where I have all my MSFS addons. 

So what ? Don't you know that if you are "spreading" ( you said it as if it was a bad word ) add-ons on different physical drives, they will load FASTER, because the PCI bandwidth is way higher than any SSD throughput so, the more drives you have running in parallel, the faster the sim and the scenery will. load ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DEL

Edited by OSM

4 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Not sure what all the fuss is with the flood of 3rd party scenery for MSFS.

It seems like most of the stuff is rushed and doesn't really appear any better then the default scenery.

Certainly one's home airport might be worth it but I can't see buying all this stuff for the one offs of flying in and out of various airports.

There is no handcrafted airport for CYVR at the moment. It's this or nothing else.  And from the brief pictures I have seen, it's way, way better than the default CYVR airport that comes with MSFS.

At the same time, this is very cheap.  If this were out in the MSFS marketplace, I would have purchased it already (waiting for the MSFS marketplace version at the moment).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, Manny said:

Orbx has multiple choice for installing. I can install in community folder or two other folders. I don't believe they mix P3D v4 with v5 and MSFS. 

Nothing is "mixed" here. P3D won't even know there's an MSFS folder inside the Addon Manager folder, and MSFS will never know there are P3D folders there as well. Instead, you get the convenience of having to start just ONE Updater to get the latest updates so, it's ESPECIALLY useful *because* you also use P3D too.

1 minute ago, virtuali said:

You still don't understand what is happening here. The installer obviously DOES recognize the MSFS location: how else you think the scenery would show up otherwise ? It's just that, instead of polluting your MSFS install with hundreds of files, it will just place a symbolic link there.

Again, that's what OrbX does too, and it's a smart choice. It's the same as when P3D4 came out: users entrenched in hold habits attacked us for installing OUTSIDE the sim, as LM suggests. Because, of course, we are always the first doing something right. Today, users finally understood how much better is to install outside the sim, and almost every developer NOW follow that approach.

So what ? Don't you know that if you are "spreading" ( you said it as if it was a bad word ) add-ons on different physical drives, they will load FASTER, because the PCI bandwidth is way higher than any SSD throughput so, the more drives you have running in parallel, the faster the sim and the scenery will. load ?

I like the fact, its installed outside the Community folder and you have links within community which is what Orbx Does. 

But I don't want MSFS addons foced into the folder where I have P3Dv4 which I plan to remove at somepoint in time.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

4 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

It seems like most of the stuff is rushed and doesn't really appear any better then the default scenery.

Either you haven't see the default CYVR, or you haven't seen this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, virtuali said:

Either you haven't see the default CYVR, or you haven't seen this.

The product you have is much better than the default CYVR airport.  This comes from somebody that frequently flies at CYVR in MSFS.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

This is giving me anxiety to the point I am wanting touininstall all my P3Dv4 FSDT addon and uninstall the updated and keep only MSFS FSDT addons. Sigh!

Manny

4 minutes ago, Manny said:

But I don't want MSFS addons foced into the folder where I have P3Dv4 which I plan to remove at somepoint in time

You mean you installed the FSDT Addon Manager INSIDE the P3D own folder ? That's not very smart and, in fact, it's a reason why our MSFS installer doesn't allow users to do the same mistake of installing "inside" the sim.

I already explained how you can undo that. Uninstall everything from FSDT, reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?", and when you reinstall, it will let you choose any combination of drive/folders, which will hold all FSDT products together.

Activation won't be affected, so it's really an easy procedure, if you want to clean up your installation.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, virtuali said:

You mean you installed the FSDT Addon Manager INSIDE the P3D own folder ? That's not very smart and, in fact, it's a reason why our MSFS installer doesn't allow users to do the same mistake of installing "inside" the sim.

I already explained how you can undo that. Uninstall everything from FSDT, reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?", and when you reinstall, it will let you choose any combination of drive/folders, which will hold all FSDT products together.

That's not a bad solution. Let me do that. Thank you

Manny

Purchased it. Nice work and great price-performance ratio! Looking forward to LFSB Basel. 

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

OK I have reinstalled my Key West and Vancouver (MSFS FSDT Addons) to the folder of my choosing. I'll reinstall 4_5 P3D a v5 FSDT addons at some other time

When I initially installed P3D v_4 FSDT Addons, I was under the belief I was picking a folder for P3Dv4_5 only so I picked the HD where  I had my P3Dv4_5 

Now I understand FSDT Schema better. 

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Manny

7 hours ago, DJJose said:

There's an Airbus, a 787, 747, and some GA jets.

there really isn't 😄

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

The product you have is much better than the default CYVR airport.  This comes from somebody that frequently flies at CYVR in MSFS.

Lol the default airport in MSFS is more like CY bother. This comes from somebody that takes commercial airlines to and from there on a regular basis. It's easily my favorite RL NA airport.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EGLD said:

there really isn't 😄

There really is. 😀

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.