Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

3090 in FS

Just now, Nyxx said:

I did comment on the last page, yes they make a huge difference and if anyone tells you other wise don't ever listen to them again.

So my "PC guy" should rethink his marketing strategy. 😁

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

3 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

So my "PC guy" should rethink his marketing strategy. 😁

On this new PC the bios window comes up then a windows picture asking for my PIN # that window is 1 second after bios window finish, then I enter my PIN# takes 2 second and as I enter final number boom am on my desktop. Its that fast. Like OMG fast.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

On this new PC the bios window comes up then a windows picture asking for my PIN # that window is 1 second after bios window finish, then I enter my PIN# takes 2 second and as I enter final number boom am on my desktop. Its that fast. Like OMG fast.

Sounds good! Will see what i can get here! 🙂

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

51 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Just to throw this in:

I am currently running the 3080 and at 1440p@150% render scale with everything on ultra except shadows which are set to medium i keep steady 60FPS in all situations.

Rest of the system is i9-9900k @4.8, 32GB RAM. Monitor is a 77" Samsung TV.

So my conclusion is that the 3080 is well worth the money. Not to mention its power running other AAA games. For example Red Dead Redemption runs at 60FPS on 4k ultra.

So to everyone who is waiting to get his 3080/3090 i'd say its worth the wait!

Best,

Tom

I agree my 3080 seems amazing and I am only on 1080x1920 but it was/is a very high quality screen. The FPS test I did I was running 70 FPS. It seems a great card.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

48 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The same but there maybe some "limits" on the server side (MS servers).  Yes the difference is noticeable, brings the LOD more in line with P3D and XP, terrain however is still not as clear in the distance as P3D/XP.  Experiment with the values, LOD 9 is possible in more remote areas, LOD 4 for more dense areas, LOD 7 for a mixed area ... seems to work reasonably well for me.

Cheers, Rob.  

Always left out of the discussion is visibility and haze.  No matter what LOD you have oftentimes haze is substantial enough to seriously deteriorate clarity in the distance as in the real world.  With LOD of 2 I've seen quite a lot of detail in the remote distance, and sometimes when haze is dense enough even close in is obscured.  So here I was a few minutes ago on the border between Louisiana and Florida and the marine layer is thick and everything looks rather fuzzy, as it should:

Gulf-Coast.png

And here we are flying in a bit clearer air just out of Cody WY in to the east side of Yellowstone:

Cody-to-Jackson.png

Or near lovely Fussen, Deutschland.  There's still haze in these but less so for sure.  It begs a question--aren't you chasing LOD for a very small percent of the time when the air is clear enough to be able to appreciate the add'l detail?  I'm asking in earnest as I don't know the answer, but the question seems reasonable.  I asked this a while back as a way to determine what the cost:benefit is in terms of visuals w/ the very high end GPUs.

Fussen-2.png

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Just to throw this in:

I am currently running the 3080 and at 1440p@150% render scale with everything on ultra except shadows which are set to medium i keep steady 60FPS in all situations.

Rest of the system is i9-9900k @4.8, 32GB RAM. Monitor is a 77" Samsung TV.

So my conclusion is that the 3080 is well worth the money. Not to mention its power running other AAA games. For example Red Dead Redemption runs at 60FPS on 4k ultra.

So to everyone who is waiting to get his 3080/3090 i'd say its worth the wait!

Best,

Tom

Are you really getting 60fps at busy airports in live traffic with that settings? If so, I will probably upgrade my card.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 minute ago, Ixoye said:

Are you really getting 60fps at busy airports with live traffic with that settings? If so, I will probably upgrade my card.

Yes i do. Results may of course vary on different systems. But thats what i get on mine. I am very happy with the investment i made buying the 3080.

4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Yes i do. Results may of course vary on different systems. But thats what i get on mine. I am very happy with the investment i made buying the 3080.

I didn't know that 3080 was so much faster than 2080Ti in MSFS, I get about 30 fps in Ultra 3440x1440 with the render scale at 100 at very busy airports.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

10 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I didn't know that 3080 was so much faster than 2080Ti in MSFS, I get about 30 fps in Ultra 3440x1440 with the render scale at 100 at very busy airports.

I had the 2080ti too and it's a huge improvement not only in MSFS.

I am not telling this to brag about it, it's just my personal experience. I am well aware that other people will get significanlty different results on their system.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I had the 2080ti too and it's a huge improvement not only in MSFS.

I am not telling this to brag about it, it's just my personal experience. I am well aware that other people will get significanlty different results on their system.

I can certainly believe that because even my lowly RTX 2070 Super which is only about 16% slower than 2080 Ti, and it does fairly well I just have to be careful mostly in certain kinds of weather and large enhanced airports and then it's mainly turning down shadow density, and once had to change vol clouds to High from Ultra.  It needs more VRAM than 8Gb, but really it's not bad considering its low price tag.  I'm hanging on for 16-20Gb 3080 card I think.   I'm also not seeking out the big terminals in my little TBM930 so this also means I can live w/o a GPU upgrade until they become available.  Overall, MSFS cranks out some serious wonder per watt used.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Heh sounds great.. but for that sort of dough I think I would rather spend it on avgas. Maybe some terrible weather over winter might change my mind.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

begs a question--aren't you chasing LOD for a very small percent of the time when the air is clear enough to be able to appreciate the add'l detail?

Love your pictures! It seems to me that the LOD matters most when you are in a big photogrammetry city like LA. With LOD 2 there are too many melted buildings once you just a bit far away from them. It looks to me that LOD 4 improves quite a bit on this matter, and LOD 9 of course is even better but not as dramatic as from LOD2 -> LOD4. Even at LOD 9, on a big 4K screen you can still easily spot those melted buildings/trees, just farther away. 

Autogen areas seem to adapt to lower LOD much better. LOD 2 is good enough and LOD 4 looks plenty good to me.  

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

10 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

Love your pictures! It seems to me that the LOD matters most when you are in a big photogrammetry city like LA. With LOD 2 there are too many melted buildings once you just a bit far away from them. It looks to me that LOD 4 improves quite a bit on this matter, and LOD 9 of course is even better but not as dramatic as from LOD2 -> LOD4. Even at LOD 9, on a big 4K screen you can still easily spot those melted buildings/trees, just farther away. 

Autogen areas seem to adapt to lower LOD much better. LOD 2 is good enough and LOD 4 looks plenty good to me.  

I see that makes sense as to why I'm not noticing too much as I'm not often in the biggest cities like LA.  I'm just totally amazed at not only how good the scenery is in terms of realism, but the variety of colors, sky colors, and all of the ground textures which vary according to locale--it's freaking phenomenal, even now w/ it's various imperfections.  When I get a new RTX 30 series I will change to LOD4.  But, does this have to be changed every time MSFS is opened, i.e., is it set back to the slider level of 2 max?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel