Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ixoye said:

Are you really getting 60fps at busy airports with live traffic with that settings? If so, I will probably upgrade my card.

Yes i do. Results may of course vary on different systems. But thats what i get on mine. I am very happy with the investment i made buying the 3080.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Yes i do. Results may of course vary on different systems. But thats what i get on mine. I am very happy with the investment i made buying the 3080.

I didn't know that 3080 was so much faster than 2080Ti in MSFS, I get about 30 fps in Ultra 3440x1440 with the render scale at 100 at very busy airports.


| I9 10900K | 32Gb 3200MHz | RTX 2080 Ti | 1TB M.2 SSD | BenQ EX3501R | TM Hotas Warthog | VKB-SIM T-Rudder Pedals |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I didn't know that 3080 was so much faster than 2080Ti in MSFS, I get about 30 fps in Ultra 3440x1440 with the render scale at 100 at very busy airports.

I had the 2080ti too and it's a huge improvement not only in MSFS.

I am not telling this to brag about it, it's just my personal experience. I am well aware that other people will get significanlty different results on their system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I had the 2080ti too and it's a huge improvement not only in MSFS.

I am not telling this to brag about it, it's just my personal experience. I am well aware that other people will get significanlty different results on their system.

I can certainly believe that because even my lowly RTX 2070 Super which is only about 16% slower than 2080 Ti, and it does fairly well I just have to be careful mostly in certain kinds of weather and large enhanced airports and then it's mainly turning down shadow density, and once had to change vol clouds to High from Ultra.  It needs more VRAM than 8Gb, but really it's not bad considering its low price tag.  I'm hanging on for 16-20Gb 3080 card I think.   I'm also not seeking out the big terminals in my little TBM930 so this also means I can live w/o a GPU upgrade until they become available.  Overall, MSFS cranks out some serious wonder per watt used.


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh sounds great.. but for that sort of dough I think I would rather spend it on avgas. Maybe some terrible weather over winter might change my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noel said:

begs a question--aren't you chasing LOD for a very small percent of the time when the air is clear enough to be able to appreciate the add'l detail?

Love your pictures! It seems to me that the LOD matters most when you are in a big photogrammetry city like LA. With LOD 2 there are too many melted buildings once you just a bit far away from them. It looks to me that LOD 4 improves quite a bit on this matter, and LOD 9 of course is even better but not as dramatic as from LOD2 -> LOD4. Even at LOD 9, on a big 4K screen you can still easily spot those melted buildings/trees, just farther away. 

Autogen areas seem to adapt to lower LOD much better. LOD 2 is good enough and LOD 4 looks plenty good to me.  


Yang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

Love your pictures! It seems to me that the LOD matters most when you are in a big photogrammetry city like LA. With LOD 2 there are too many melted buildings once you just a bit far away from them. It looks to me that LOD 4 improves quite a bit on this matter, and LOD 9 of course is even better but not as dramatic as from LOD2 -> LOD4. Even at LOD 9, on a big 4K screen you can still easily spot those melted buildings/trees, just farther away. 

Autogen areas seem to adapt to lower LOD much better. LOD 2 is good enough and LOD 4 looks plenty good to me.  

I see that makes sense as to why I'm not noticing too much as I'm not often in the biggest cities like LA.  I'm just totally amazed at not only how good the scenery is in terms of realism, but the variety of colors, sky colors, and all of the ground textures which vary according to locale--it's freaking phenomenal, even now w/ it's various imperfections.  When I get a new RTX 30 series I will change to LOD4.  But, does this have to be changed every time MSFS is opened, i.e., is it set back to the slider level of 2 max?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These LOD settings in the useropt.cfg file, are these the same as the sliders for Terrain LOD and Object LOD in the game? The max it can go is 200. But for LOD 4 and LOD 9 what is the equivalent value in game if we were able to use the sliders to set them? LOD4 would be like 300 in the game settings?


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (20H2) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BusheFlyer said:

Heh sounds great.. but for that sort of dough I think I would rather spend it on avgas. Maybe some terrible weather over winter might change my mind.

If justifying the cost of a 3080 is an issue you can just wait for the 16GB version of the 3070 slated for Q1 2021 . It will likely walk all over a 2080ti at a fraction of the cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

If justifying the cost of a 3080 is an issue you can just wait for the 16GB version of the 3070 slated for Q1 2021 . It will likely walk all over a 2080ti at a fraction of the cost.

Absolutely.  With what I'm seeing w/ a lowly 2070 Super doubling the VRAM and bumping up processing power what maybe +40% will be huge, for me.  Even so if I could nail the 3080 20Gb I would if the price was within reason.


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Noel said:

Absolutely.  With what I'm seeing w/ a lowly 2070 Super doubling the VRAM and bumping up processing power what maybe +40% will be huge, for me.  Even so if I could nail the 3080 20Gb I would if the price was within reason.

It will be more expensive than the current 3080 but cheaper than the 3090.

That is all we know.

TBH I am only at 1440p so my 2060 6GB is fine now I have set it to high Performance for FS2020 in the nvidia panel and tweaked the settings a touch. I also capped the frame rate to 30 fps in the nvidia panel but it was probably unnecessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

TBH I am only at 1440p so my 2060 6GB is fine now I have set it to high Performance for FS2020 in the nvidia panel and tweaked the settings a touch. I also capped the frame rate to 30 fps in the nvidia panel but it was probably unnecessary.

1440p here too so the 2070 Super 8Gb handles most of what I'm happy doing.  I do find myself stopping and readjusting settings that impact the GPU so it will be nice to not have to do that nearly as much as I do now.


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The same but there maybe some "limits" on the server side (MS servers).  Yes the difference is noticeable, brings the LOD more in line with P3D and XP, terrain however is still not as clear in the distance as P3D/XP.  Experiment with the values, LOD 9 is possible in more remote areas, LOD 4 for more dense areas, LOD 7 for a mixed area ... seems to work reasonably well for me.

Cheers, Rob.  

Now I hate you. 😄 LOL. What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

I tried LOD 4 and LOD 9 flying around Vancouver (which has photogrammetry).  

I took off from an airport 25miles from Downtown Vancouver

LOD 2: the city skyline is completely non-existent and all terrain around is a flat barren texture.  They city doesn't really render until about 10 miles away.  Average FPS is around 45-50 constantly.

LOD 4: the city skyscrapers render at 25miles but look like sharp pyramids until about 15 miles when they start to resemble Skyscrapers. Average FPS is around 30-40.. 20fps at low altitude over photogrammetry.

LOD 9: The city skyscrapers render at 25miles and look like skyscrapers much sooner (I forgot to note the distance). Average FPS was 30 with it dipping to a 15fps slide show around the photogrammetry.

Flying at low altitude around the downtown area results in being CPU bound and much worse frame rates (single thread as my CPU is not maxed, but one or more threads are).

I have a 9700K (8x4.6GHz) and 2080Ti to a 4K TV at native res (no scaling) on ultra.  I have a 3090 on order which I hope will enable me to keep LOD 4 enabled and not see FPS dip below 30.

I can see why they don't offer higher LOD settings in the UI. People would kill their own performance I'm sure.

The sad revelation is that the photogrammetry needs heavy optimization as it's definitely CPU bound at anything higher than LOD=2.

EDIT: I also found that the manual cache didn't offer any benefits whatsoever.  Things are still popping in on photogrammetry at close distances when flying at low altitudes over downtown.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, captain420 said:

These LOD settings in the useropt.cfg file, are these the same as the sliders for Terrain LOD and Object LOD in the game? The max it can go is 200. But for LOD 4 and LOD 9 what is the equivalent value in game if we were able to use the sliders to set them? LOD4 would be like 300 in the game settings?

Well LOD 2 is displayed in game as 200.  So I assume LOD 3 is 300 and so on.  But it's hard to know for sure as the in-game settings stays at 200 when you start changing LOD values in the file.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    33%
    $8,485.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...