Sign in to follow this  
Mrmhd

New in Orange NSW

Hi all,

New to this and would like to chat and maybe learn how this all works.

Got a new predator helios 300 and honeycomb yoke.

Waiting for the rest.

Need to ask about hooking it all up.

Thanks 

Mark

Mrmhd,

I think we need a little more information. What sim are you trying to configure for, and, what is "the rest" you are waiting for? and please be a little more specific about what you are trying to achieve.

Apart from that, May I please extend a warm welcome to AVSIM and I hope your journey through the flight sim forums is fruitful and helpful.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Welcome to AVSIM 🍻

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Welcome to Avsim. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Sorry guys,

For a start xplane.

The rest = rudder pedals and throttle. 

Laptop is predator helios 300 seems to have the necessary internals. 

My concern is ports? USB #'s

Seem to be just enough. 

Might like to add a monitor.

In hindsight a desktop version would have solved this. 

Life is like that sometimes. 

Mark

Welcome to Avsim!

I prefer a desktop computer for flight sims, it is easier to add/change internal components and even additional USB ports.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Mrmhd,

I have to admit that I have never considered a laptop as a gaming unit.  For flight simming I think a PC offers more versatility in almost every aspect from CPUs, GPUs, additional SSDs or HDDs and general peripheral addon ability.  That is just my way of thinking though.

What was most interesting to me, was where did Xplane come from as your first flight sim platform?  I am assuming, of course, that it is indeed your first.  I make this comment in the context of joining the community in the time of the introduction of the new XBPX and the huge MSFS publicity and fanfare that is circulating at the moment.  I would have thought that MSFS would be the logical choice for a new simmer if only because of the publicity.  That is not, of course, to say that it is the best platform for a new simmer, although many would consider that subjective.  

I am a firm believer that all of the current simming platforms are simply great and that there is a wealth of choice at the moment..  I am simply curious about how you managed to skirt the most blatant choice, due to all the publicity, to select XPlane.

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Fs2020 may be better than or certainly as good as  xplane. 

The long download was the only choice factor.

Most likely will have fs2020 after I learn the basics of sim flight. Would also look at DCS. Love the look of the a-10.

If I really go nuts over this a desktop may appear.

Mark

MSFS (often called FS2020) holds a lot of promise, but from what I am reading, it is not yet a mature product.  For simplicity and low cost, FSX Steam Edition is currently a good choice.  For a stable and mature 64-bit flight sim, X-Plane 11 or Prepar3d. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks stans.

The proof will be in the playing/flying

Assuming I can do a successful job setting up 

Mark

13 hours ago, stans said:

FSX Steam Edition is currently a good choice.

Mate,  

My only comment to that is "just how much will it cost to get the basic FSX_SE platform  up to the standards of the basic MSFS.

My understanding is that he already has XPlane11 anyway and if he has, as you say, he has a good and stable basic platform. However, he will still have the costs involved to bring it up to MSFS standards as well, despite its problems at the moment. 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

4 hours ago, Mrmhd said:

The proof will be in the playing/flying

If this is your first flight sim, I would also suggest starting with FSX-SE.

That should work nicely on your laptop and give you a taste for what it is all about.

DCS may also be to your liking.. 🙂

I would consider XPlane and P3D more of a "hardcore" option... suitable if you are a real world pilot who wants to do IFR training on a PC.

MSFS probably requires more hardware than your current laptop, and is not ready for "prime time" just yet IMHO..

Bert

Bert,

I think I may have take the bull by the horns and was confused by a thread re FS2004 and scenery on an aged computer. I therefore think my FSX comment was a response that was unintended.

However, I still get the (revised) impression that he has already purchased and installed XPlane but his comment below is somewhat a cause for concern also.

"Seem to be just enough. 

Might like to add a monitor." 

Adding another monitor when hardware seems to be just enough is surely a deal breaker for anything other than FS2004, as it will probably reduce frame rates by around 5-15FPS. ie if his hardware is marginal, it will rule out the use of additional monitors. This applies to FSX, FSX-SE, P3D and Xplane.

I am a little wary of advising a "suck it and see" approach as that could prove to add an additional expense for an unusable monitor, unless of course, he already has an unused one available.

From the sounds of things, it would appear that with marginal hardware, If that is indeed the case, he is not going to have a really enjoyable first flight sim experience.

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.