Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Something tells me not to fly this day.

After listening to their conversations before flight, my gut feeling as with the ladies would be to stay on the ground on this flight.

• Like 2

Love the way all the people on the video comments on youtube are banging on about it being some kind of 'miracle'. If that's true, then shouldn't the magic sky wizard have 'miraculously' kept the engine running for them instead? Seems like the preferable option to me if an omnipotent being is going to intervene in matters.

I can only assume that the magic sky fairy is not good with the internal workings of flat six aero engines; but give him some loaves and fishes, and Bob's yer uncle. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Chock, I'll be grinning all day for that. 😄

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well, at least they survived. Not knowing the full details, did the plane stall some distance above the ground? Could the pilot not have carried a little more speed to make a landing on that field - he seemed to be gliding fine beforehand (stall warning going off intermittently??)

Armchair questions I know..

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Where can you buy those ball caps with the bills in the back? Everything in the stores around here have the bill in the front.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

This demonstrates that just because you know how to operate an airplane and have a license, doesn't mean that you should.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

50 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Well, at least they survived. Not knowing the full details, did the plane stall some distance above the ground? Could the pilot not have carried a little more speed to make a landing on that field - he seemed to be gliding fine beforehand (stall warning going off intermittently??)

Armchair questions I know..

Many "ifs" and "buts".

The outcome was good, no casualties and permanent injuries (from what I gathered, might be wrong). So the pilot handled engine out from low altitude good.

But you shed some light on an interesting point that some GA-flyers (sorry for generalize) aren't comfortable with: point the nose down and abandon best glide.

In my PA28...If you are flying best glide (73KIAS)  and just turned final to the runway with 20+kts headwind causing your ground speed to be  a complete mess and you realize you probably will be landing short...don't give up. Try to point the nose down and pick some speed (7-9 kts is enough, also retract flaps if you already were semi-commited to the landing).

Now, the negative effect of the headwind  - that would be your slow groundspeed - will be of shorter duration since you are flying faster, and you can "ballon" your self onto the threshold when deploying flaps.  a Piper Warrior will stall at 44 knots with full flaps, so you will gain significant ground when extending the 3 stages of flaps in quick succesion.

Edited by SAS443
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I am not going to Monday morning quarterback this incident.  I have some opinions, I will keep them to myself.  I am glad that there were no fatalities.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The accident site was at 8100MSL in August,wonder what the density altitude was?

https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/239239

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

39 minutes ago, stans said:

I am not going to Monday morning quarterback this incident.  I have some opinions, I will keep them to myself.  I am glad that there were no fatalities.

I'm with you. Thank God I've never faced the challenge(s) of an engine failure. But be it far from me to judge the actions of those who've been there. None of can really know what we'd do, or not do, in a similar situation.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

But you shed some light on an interesting point that some GA-flyers (sorry for generalize) aren't comfortable with: point the nose down and abandon best glide.

In my PA28...If you are flying best glide (73KIAS)  and just turned final to the runway with 20+kts headwind causing your ground speed to be  a complete mess and you realize you probably will be landing short...don't give up. Try to point the nose down and pick some speed (7-9 kts is enough, also retract flaps if you already were semi-commited to the landing).

Precisely, was about to type the same until I realised you guys had come to the same conclusion. 

49 minutes ago, stans said:

Yup. Think I'd have been inclined to get the nose down a little more, so that you could do more of a 'landing' than an 'arrival', but as you say, easy to judge when not in the situation yourself. I cringed a bit when the stall horn was going off and the pilot was steering left to avoid coming down into a tree. I think maybe the fact that there was a full cabin and thus more weight might have been a contributing factor to it being a less than optimal landing, but since any landing you can walk, or be hauled away from to tell the tale another day is good enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I recall a cross country flight from Ogden Utah to Salt Lake City and back at night.  On the way back I asked my instructor what to do at night if your engine quit.  He told me, "Establish a glide and hope you don't hit the side of a barn."

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Dude didn't want to fly, don't make him fly, those ladies were annoying I bet they won't fly ever again

The last time someone forced someone onto an aircraft he pulled the eject seat handle, yes nervous flyers should stay on the ground.

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 3

Matthew Kane

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

I recall a cross country flight from Ogden Utah to Salt Lake City and back at night.  On the way back I asked my instructor what to do at night if your engine quit.  He told me, "Establish a glide and hope you don't hit the side of a barn."

I thought the official advice was, "As you near the ground, turn on your landing lights.  If you don't like what you see, turn them back off." 😄 

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;