Sign in to follow this  
Jikul

Beechcraft 99 and Dash-8 in development by Virtualcol

That Beech 99 looks way cool!  😎

Virtualcol are definitely on the "cheap and cheerful" end of things.   Have a look at the prices on their store and realize you get what you pay for.  They're not bad, just basic.

Given the quality of what we have in MSFS, though, if they don't step up their modelling game a little I'm afraid they're going to get torn to shreds.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Their Jetstream was the worst aircraft I've ever paid for...for me they are Carenado without the good looks...

• Upvote 1

Used to take trips in the early 1970s as a paid passenger out of Ft Leonard Wood, Mo., on a Beech 99 flown by Skyway Aviation.  I was working on my own multi-engine and instrument ratings at the time and became friendly with the pilots. Same crew every flight. They flew twice a day back and forth to KSTL.  I'd sit in the front pax row and observe.  The cockpit was not closed off back then. Perhaps that and my own T-42 experience is why I have long been partial to Beech.

Your post caused me to look up Skyway and Beech 99.  Here is what I found. Reg # has changed over time but that 99 is still in service. owned by Alpine Air. Looking forward to this model.  Don't recall a legit 99 in previous sims. 

image.png.8861028dce6df97f26c4d74990bbdfff.png

Didn't look like this back then

image.png.0a64450ab0b41e27874bb4539351ea18.png

Here was the Skyway livery on a 1900

image.png.602658a634b6fab4f97a58bf35d34dff.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The Beech C-99 was the 1st "airliner" I worked on as a new A&P mechanic,I got some right seat time also,A cool airplane.

• Like 1

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

Virtualcol are definitely on the "cheap and cheerful" end of things.   Have a look at the prices on their store and realize you get what you pay for.  They're not bad, just basic.

Given the quality of what we have in MSFS, though, if they don't step up their modelling game a little I'm afraid they're going to get torn to shreds.

Oh god. They are in for a rough ride then 😄

• Upvote 1

The exterior modeling looks much better than their usual. Curious that there’s no interior photos...

2 hours ago, kaosfere said:

"cheap and cheerful"

Versus the "over-priced and eternally complaining"?  Lol

Seriously, (and I know this should be self evident), but they are not targeting the system junkie market. Although that won't stop people from demanding they change.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

If I could get a Dash 8 with systems similar to the default aircraft that flies reasonably well for cheap then it would certainly help hold me over until the more detailed airliners make it to MSFS.  I'll watch this with an open mind.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I'm underwhelmed by the screenshots.

The bar has been raised to some considerable height by MSFS 2020. Devs in FSX/ P3D X-Plane were used to limboing under an easy Addon bar after a few beers by the pool and a crazy idea at midnight to go build another airframe and sell it. (NB Carenado)

These guys look like lambs gambolling gaily to the slaughter.

Doesn't do it for me at all.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

Yes. Need to exercise some purchase discretion.  A look at the hours in type tab of my logbook is stuffed with "I want to try that one" models only to park them in the dark back corners of the hangar(s) after scant few hours.  Humm...  Could save those $$$ instead for a 3090 instead of a 3080...

image.png.cbca327369f381f9906649d56a65b299.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

There will be only one Dash 8 I intend to splash my cash on and it won't be from this developer 🙂  Trouble is I'll be waiting a while......

Edited by sidfadc
  • Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Interested to see what they have.  I own most of their stuff for fsx/p3d, and there they were slightly better than default, cheap, and modeled aircraft nobody else did.  The problem has been the interior modeling, which was barely acceptable in the already cartoony world of fsx/p3d.  If they don’t raise their game there, it will be hard for them to deal with the new market.  Looking forward to their dash 8s and eventually ATRs if they can step up a bit.  The default nav data and avionics should be better for them than the fsx stuff was.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Interested to see what they have.  I own most of their stuff for fsx/p3d, and there they were slightly better than default, cheap, and modeled aircraft nobody else did.  The problem has been the interior modeling, which was barely acceptable in the already cartoony world of fsx/p3d.  If they don’t raise their game there, it will be hard for them to deal with the new market.  Looking forward to their dash 8s and eventually ATRs if they can step up a bit.  The default nav data and avionics should be better for them than the fsx stuff was.

Exactly, but the fact that they did not include any interior shots makes me suspect that they have either not figured how to up the game in the interior or will not. 

But I am curious. I have their A220 and it was good for what it is and the only one on the market.

I hope they bring the goods, they’re more receptive to fixing bugs than say Carenado which rest on their excellent look laurels.

Edited by Cmcollazo71
  • Upvote 1