Sign in to follow this  
ark

How To Add a Waypoint to a G1000 Flight Plan in Flight

Below is a flight plan loaded into a G1000 (Working Title mod) MFD where I have set the cursor on the waypoint LZARD.  My question is, if I now want to add a waypoint after (or before -- whatever works) LZARD, how do I do that? I don't want to immediately go to a 'Direct To' waypoint, but want to add an additional waypoint into the sequence of waypoints.

Thx,

Al

e4744cac03.png

Edited by ark

21 minutes ago, ark said:

how do I do that?

LZARD is already selected so you must have already clicked on the center of the inner tuning knob. The new waypoint will be inserted before LZARD. Now just use your mouse wheel to turn the knob and it will begin to scroll through numbers and letters.  Select characters, one by one, using outer knob to move right to the position for the next character.  When finished with the waypoint click the Enter button.  You may be prompted to select from more than one waypoint bearing the same name.  Select the correct one and click Enter again.  You may need to familiarize yourself with world country codes.  A USA VOR or intersection in the list of choices will have a three character code starting with a K.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 minutes ago, fppilot said:

LZARD is already selected so you must have already clicked on the center of the inner tuning knob. Now just use you mouse wheel to turn the knob and it will begin to scroll through numbers and letters.  Select characters, one by one, using outer knob to move right to the position for the next character.  When finished with the waypoint click the center of the small knob again with the pointer and clicking the mousewheel.

Great -- thanks very much.

I found I had to click on the ENT key to actually enter the new waypoint into the FP which, BTW, gets entered before the originally selected (highlighted) waypoint.

Al

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ark said:

Great -- thanks very much.

I found I had to click on the ENT key to actually enter the new waypoint into the FP which, BTW, gets entered before the originally selected (highlighted) waypoint.

Al

And now you have become dangerous.... 😁

BTW, I position the cursor then use the left mouse button and click through the alpha numeric sequence backwards from Z toward A toward 1 toward 9.  Much faster in most cases than going forward through the numbers to get to the alphas.  You can hold down the left mouse button to speed it up.  Most difficult part is keeping the mouse cursor in place.  Otherwise you instead zoom the display.

I'd give the shirt off my back to have the more visible and forgiving Reality XP legacy mouse cursors.  They have color and more dimension. With those I can enter waypoints with knobs as fast as I can with touchpads like the GTN series.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Otherwise you instead zoom the display

Because of 'unwanted zooming' I removed that 'feature' from the mouse control setup and use the + and - keys to zoom the display instead. In P3D 4.5/5 I use FSUIPC and Lua scripts wherever I can to avoid having to manipulate elusive mouse click spots, especially when bouncing around IFR in the clouds. Unfortunately, the current poor state of the MSFS SDK ,and SimConnect in particular, preclude this in many cases. Hopefully SimConnect will be improved significantly in the months ahead.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ark said:

Because of 'unwanted zooming' I removed that 'feature' from the mouse control setup and use the + and - keys to zoom the display instead. In P3D 4.5/5 I use FSUIPC and Lua scripts wherever I can to avoid having to manipulate elusive mouse click spots, especially when bouncing around IFR in the clouds. Unfortunately, the current poor state of the MSFS SDK ,and SimConnect in particular, preclude this in many cases. Hopefully SimConnect will be improved significantly in the months ahead.

Al

I actually like the mouse wheel zooming and panel scanning.  I just wish there was a "click the mousewheel" or something similar feature to temporarily disable zooming and visual scanning  to eliminate the interference with knob tuning.  The mousewheel can be clicked to hide the mouse pointer while keeping it active.  So it should be possible to click the wheel to change its function.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

21 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I actually like the mouse wheel zooming and panel scanning. 

I kept the left/right and up/down panning capability with the left mouse button. That does come in handy.

Al