Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

$100 Hamburger

This new sim at this point with some of it's weather and avionics development still underway (isn't that soooooo polite?), with it's excellent VFR flying attributes, scenery and visual cues, makes it ideal for exploring.  And what better than taking friends on $100 hamburger excursions?  I would love to see a dedicated forum.  Something like the screenshots forum.  Totally dedicated to flights from one venue to another.  Airports with on site or adjacent dining.  The posts would profile with images the two airports, the aircraft used, and some pulls from their websites of images and menus from the destination eatery.  The flavor so to speak.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

That thread title made me think it was going to be another complaints thread - "This sim is a $100 hamburger, I quit!"😄

Not a bad idea for a forum, it would certainly help encourage people to explore new areas.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Why does it have to be a dedicated forum.? Just put a label on the topic for MSFS 2020 and put it in the screenshot forum.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 minute ago, 109Sqn said:

That thread title made me think it was going to be another complaints thread - "This sim is a $100 hamburger, I quit!"

Not at all.  Dawns on me that in its current state it is a great fit.  My major league baseball flight circuit is done for the year.  So is my NHL circuit.  My Indycar season has but one race left.  Nascar has only a handful of weekends left.  I have flown to Kansas City for this weekend's races.  NFL games for my Baltimore Ravens are 50/50 home and away.  College basketball is off the board until the new year, if then.  

So during the week?  Hamburgers?  Morning pancake runs?  Crabcakes?  Lobster fests?  BBQ venues?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

Why does it have to be a dedicated forum.? Just put a label on the topic for MSFS 2020 and put it in the screenshot forum.

Because it could lead instead to gatherings, fly-ins.  Like the round the world forum.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Because it could lead instead to gatherings, fly-ins.  Like the round the world forum.

Send a PM to W6KD (Forums ADMIN) plead your case and see if it comes to fruition.  What have you got to lose? 😁

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Santa Monica (KSMO) to Catalina (KAVX).

Catalina has a nice little airport (not yet well modelled in MSFS, but rumored to be coming in an ORBX release) that sell buffalo burgers.  I've done that flight with a friend of mine a few times - great short little hop.

SMO-runway-demo-money.jpg.f38b2ad579d148524d43fe04127be575.jpg

KSMO is located just north of LAX so you have some tight clearances around Class B airspace.  The airport is slated to close in 2028 sadly.

LHL5V4MVVUDDMQ4WIWMR2FNLV4.jpg.9123e09cf39139c68207b77c0f384af1.jpg 

KAVX is a fun challenging airport on the top of a mountain on Catalina Island in the ocean south west of LA past Palos Verdes.   The runway is 1602'/488m above sea level and has cliffs at both ends, so VFR conditions are key (no ILS support).

2039877281_airporttowercolor.jpg.886d5773875068f7c4e93bc616fabebf.jpgthe-patio-looking-towards.jpg.90abe217fc8e8d74022783a0e202fbb5.jpg

The facilities are nice, with plenty of info about the island itself.  The buffalo burger at the "Airport in the Sky" restaurant will set you back $22.00.  You can also catch a bus to the town of Avalon nearby to make a day of it.

Happy simming!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

The airport is slated to close in 2028 sadly.

Been threatened for years.  AOPA is all over it, but with the current state of things in California who knows?  All airports may end up being closed.  Not a joke.  Not a political statement.  Just where it appears to be headed.  

Odd.  When I lived in Irvine from 1998 to 2010 the state wanted to create a new major international airport at El Toro with an approach right over my neighborhood.  My how things change.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

7 minutes ago, fppilot said:

All airports may end up being closed.  Not a joke.  Not a political statement.  Just where it appears to be headed.  

Which may well be one reason why MS insisted in a (too) early release of MSFS. I don't think they really depended on the $$$ a few months earlier after funding the project for years. But with the aviation downward spiral, who will predict reputation of aviation within even a few months?

Only as a sidenote, hopefully not to derail the topic. One of my sons is working in the industry.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

49 minutes ago, pmb said:

But with the aviation downward spiral, who will predict reputation of aviation within even a few months?

GA at least, is very active in my local area.  I have wondered how the charter business is doing.  Families and small groups.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

55 minutes ago, fppilot said:

GA at least, is very active in my local area.  I have wondered how the charter business is doing.  Families and small groups.

But the big birds are down (an airport not far from is is full of parked planes) and the industry plus suppliers (that's where my son is working) are heavily fighting.

Maybe GA is better off, yes.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I flew to Catalina numerous times for pleasure and as part of checking people out. Got to land from both ends, but most dramatic is view is rwy 22. A lot of pilot burn their brake because they can see remaining runway due 2.1 degrees upslope:)

1264805_10201369613315851_1697071274_o.j

1270724_10201369608035719_49144577_o.jpg

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

We used to put our bikes in the Cardinal and fly down to Provincetown KPVC from Fryeburg KIZG bike into town sit at there Cafe Blasé and watch the show, if you have been to P-town you know the show, then fly home to the mountains of NH. Sometimes we would take roller blades instead of bikes.

My fav "century burger".

I often fly this route in FS2020 usually in the Mooney. It is a beautiful flight over Mountains, Lakes, Rivers, along the coast down the beech across Boston Bay, often a beautiful sunset with Boston skyline in the West on the way back.

Edited by 177B

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager