Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Calling for a mouse wheel mod

Like many others I get highly frustrated when tuning knobs only to instead zoom the MFS display.  OK. Don't start in on me with that - I can disable the zoom in Controls.  Got that down.  Tried it out. But I like the mouse functions that allow me to zoom and to look around, almost like Track iR. 

Here is what I would like to see.  Currently clicking the mouse wheel hides the mouse pointer but still continues its operations.  Can someone with the necessary skills develop a mod that allows a click of the mouse wheel to disable/enable zooming but retain knob tuning.  So click the wheel to switch from zooming/scanning to knob tuning.  Click again to return to zooming/scanning.

Anybody got a "like he said........"

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

^^^ Like he said!😄

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Mapping my Up and Down arrow keys to move forward/backwards in the cockpit helped a lot after I switched off wheel zooming I don't miss it anymore and find it easier to move around the cockpit with the arrow keys.

Just now, highflyer2020 said:

Mapping my Up and Down arrow keys to move forward/backwards in the cockpit helped a lot after I switched off wheel zooming I don't miss it anymore and find it easier to move around the cockpit with the arrow keys.

My keyboard is off to the side and the mini keyboard that fits in my cockpit space lacks the necessary keys. As I clearly said, I like the zooming and look around features.   I'm looking for "like he said..." for a toggle from that to tuning, and back.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Phantoms said:

Have you tried this solution?

I believe you did not understand my post.  Recommend you read it again in its

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

But I like the mouse functions that allow me to zoom and to look around, almost like Track iR. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I agree Frank.  It was probably done that way for X-Box compatibility, but I still hate it.

• Like 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

I believe you did not understand my post.  Recommend you read it again in its

But I like the mouse functions that allow me to zoom and to look around, almost like Track iR. 

And I believe you didn't fully read what I linked. Recommend you read it again. It lets you keep all the scroll functions and look around functions with the mouse (it does change how the mouse controls zoom, but keeps it with the mouse) while also letting you use the mouse wheel to control knobs.

• Like 2

James

16 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

And I believe you didn't fully read what I linked. Recommend you read it again. It lets you keep all the scroll functions and look around functions with the mouse (it does change how the mouse controls zoom, but keeps it with the mouse) while also letting you use the mouse wheel to control knobs.

I will look again.  Thanks.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

This is what my mouse wheel zoom looks like. It takes a little effort to hold the wheel down and zoom, but that makes sure that zooming is what you want to do.

I find it easiest to set up by lifting the mouse up off the desk while the pointer is in the scan window. Then left click it to select the scan window. Press down the mouse wheel button and while pressing down scroll in the direction you want. Then let go of everything and hit the left mouse button again to be able to validate the setting.

Screenshot-12.png

Now the mouse wheel by itself can control the knobs. The mouse wheel when it's pushed down and rotated can control the zoom.

• Like 1

James

19 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Then use Track IR.

I'm not sure what this contributes to the discussion.  Wish there was a downvote option.

I agree that mapping mouse zoom and interacting with controls  to two separate physical actions would be very useful.  Will try the configuration above and see if it works.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

7 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Then use Track IR.

👎 👎

Frank Patton
ASUS 

6 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

Wish there was a downvote option.

See my response to that post.....  👨

Frank Patton
ASUS 

8 hours ago, Phantoms said:

This is what my mouse wheel zoom looks like. It takes a little effort to hold the wheel down and zoom, but that makes sure that zooming is what you want to do.

I find it easiest to set up by lifting the mouse up off the desk while the pointer is in the scan window. Then left click it to select the scan window. Press down the mouse wheel button and while pressing down scroll in the direction you want. Then let go of everything and hit the left mouse button again to be able to validate the setting.

Screenshot-12.png

Now the mouse wheel by itself can control the knobs. The mouse wheel when it's pushed down and rotated can control the zoom.

Have you posted this in the MSFS 2020 Tips and Tricks here?  You should.  This is good.

Frank Patton
ASUS