Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

DD just released RJAA Tokyo Narita P3D

The first airport is out. I believe later he will be releasing Haneda Airport and Tokyo City later on. 

• Like 4

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I'm very excited about this. The current one I have is from Wing Creation, and while it was very nice for its time, it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. DD's is very welcome, and certainly looks very nice. That said, I'll probably sit back a little to see what you guys have to say about it... especially because over at FSDeveloper there's a very talented developer who is making what looks like a stunning rendition of RJAA. Honestly not sure which of the two is the better, so I look forward to any review from anybody here!

I have not seen any screenshots for Haneda. I really want that one in updated and upgraded form, as the current one I have is TechnoBrain and for whatever reason it's quite hard on performance, even in P3Dv5. I'm certain DD's RJTT will be much improved over Technobrain's.

• Like 2

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Unfortunately my work week just started so I won't be able to pick this one up for a few more days. I'll chime in with my impressions at that time. Definitely looking forward to Haneda at some point as well!

I just read a FB post from a user who has spent a lot of time at RJAA and he is just blown away at the level of detail DD put into Narita. 

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

8 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'm very excited about this. The current one I have is from Wing Creation, and while it was very nice for its time, it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. DD's is very welcome, and certainly looks very nice. That said, I'll probably sit back a little to see what you guys have to say about it... especially because over at FSDeveloper there's a very talented developer who is making what looks like a stunning rendition of RJAA. Honestly not sure which of the two is the better, so I look forward to any review from anybody here!

Well that's interesting Benjamin.

I'm also looking at purchasing Narita.I was also waiting to see how the ZIm scenery develops (the one mentioned over at the FS Developer forum) as this looks really impressive too, but no sign of when that will release.

34 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

I just read a FB post from a user who has spent a lot of time at RJAA and he is just blown away at the level of detail DD put into Narita. 

The DD quality looks particularly good and its at a really reasonable price unlike certain other Japanese airport sceneries I could mention that in my opinion are a bit expensive.

I just popped over to the DD forum and so far so good.One user had some issues getting set up but the claim was the performance is amazing and one of the best DD sceneries so far.

https://drzewiecki-design.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=505

I am tempted by the DD version I have to say. I may just pick that up.

One question: there was a time when DD were offering free demos but I could not find the Narita one available. Did they now stop offering free demos prior to purchase?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I bought the DD Narita a few hours ago (bought it in 10 seconds without even looking at the features and pics) and just finished my first flight from it.
I think it is an excellent piece of work and the latest charts match it as far as I can see.

I must have used Narita in real life about 70 or 80 times at least in the last two decades. I have watched it change and grow, and it is great to have something that matches the airport today. The detail is really something. I look forward to the Haneda version with anticipation.
Txxxxxbrain did a fairly passable job of Haneda, but their decision to refuse to offer the P3D upgrade for some of their other sceneries to loyal box owners who forked out exorbitant Japan prices before they made their SimMarket debut was bang out-of-order. As such, I look forward to binning it once the DD version comes out.

DD Narita is an absolute belter of a scenery and I will be flying there a lot more now.

P.S. I thought about waiting for the other one, but the support for the previous 6 or 7 DD sceneries I have made me take the plunge.

Edited by ezochi
Added a P.S.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like an insta-buy for me. Awesome news!

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I somewhat reluctantly bought the TechnoBrain rendition of RJTT (Haneda), mostly because I wanted it as a destination for the 2020 Olympics before the CoronaBug took a hammer to everything.  Even on sale, it was a fairly pricey compromise solution for a major destination like Tokyo...a heavy frame hitter that needed a fair bit of work to make it play nice with GSX.

It's good to see RJAA finally up on the map.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, aldridgem said:

Did they now stop offering free demos prior to purchase?

As far as I remember, they tend to offer demos (on their website as well as in the Avsim library) some time after releasing a scenery.
So my guess is, it will come, for those who are undecided. 😊

3 hours ago, ezochi said:

DD Narita is an absolute belter of a scenery and I will be flying there a lot more now.

Never heard 'belter' before, but I like it! I might use it now and again 😉

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. Overall I like DD's sceneries and I have most all of them. My own hang-up on their sceneries is the in-terminal night lighting. RJAA's looks like an improvement over that of their previous releases though, as does the whole way that they portrayed the terminal windows.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Excellent news 🙂

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

a little word of warning all of DD installers will automatically change your texture size to 4096 in the settings without telling you they have done so.

for people with VAS issues you might want to turn it back down again.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

For those interested I found this Youtube video starring DD's new RJAA scenery. I don't know about this person's graphics settings (possible that its displayed somewhere during the video, but I didn't look for it).

Couple things to point out:

- The trees 'popping' through the fog. I have seen this in many sceneries and I know that you all have seen this as well in P3Dv5. Is it known at all what causes this?

- I'm not entirely convinced by the ground textures. Their shading doesn't seem particularly accurate (the green stripes especially) and the asphalt and concrete seems a little blurry. Essentially it looks like a detail layer superimposed immediately on the satellite imagery.

- VRAM usage is at about 4.5GB throughout the (RJAA part of the) video, which I was very pleasantly surprised about.

- The thing I feared: DD always makes the terminal windows much too 'see through'. RJAA's windows are shaded, making it hard to see inside this clearly, and I don't think DD manages to capture this. It gets worse at night, at which point your only reminder of windows are the window frames... Mind you I've had this issue with DD consistently, all the way back to their KSEA through KORD and UUEE more recently. I really wish they'd change their process. In that sense, ZIM's upcoming RJAA does the real airport more justice. If this is. question of price, I'd be happy to pay a couple bucks more if it means this aspect of the airport is more realistic.

Based on this video, I'm a little less inclined to get DD's RJAA, and instead wait for ZIM's. but let's see for how long I can stand to wait, given that Tokyo is one of my favorite places to fly these days (fond memories).

Benjamin van Soldt

Narita was a great nightstop at virgin until it was pulled by Delta. Many great nights out in the karaoke bar The Cage

https://g.co/kgs/MitqHT

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png