Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

HDR10 is ON in options but greyed out

Title says it. My monitor is 4K but not HDR capable (only DP1.2 and HDMI 1.4), yet the HDR10 setting in the sim options is showing ON and is greyed out. 

Anyone know if this is a bug or why? Is there a way to disable HDR10?

Just now, neil0311 said:

Title says it. My monitor is 4K but not HDR capable (only DP1.2 and HDMI 1.4), yet the HDR10 setting in the sim options is showing ON and is greyed out. 

Anyone know if this is a bug or why? Is there a way to disable HDR10?

I came across this as I needed to disable HDR in sim to record videos.

Is HDR enabled in Win10 ? If I recall correctly you can only change the HDR setting in game when it is ENABLED in Win10.

You might need to enable HDR in windows temporarily, turn it off in game, and then disable it again in Windows,

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I came across this as I needed to disable HDR in sim to record videos.

Is HDR enabled in Win10 ? If I recall correctly you can only change the HDR setting in game when it is ENABLED in Win10.

You might need to enable HDR in windows temporarily, turn it off in game, and then disable it again in Windows,

Never even thought HDR would show in Windows in the graphics settings if the monitor didn't support it. I'll take a look and see if that's the problem.

i dont have a 4k monitor and i am showing hdr on but greyed out also,.. I am thinking this is msfs way of saying its off,

14 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It doesn't.  It will only show if you have an HDR capable monitor.

If it does show, then you need to enable it in Win10 display settings in order to use HDR10 option in MSFSF.  Be aware, if you have multiple monitors, be sure to select the monitor you use for MSFS and the HDR setting is obviously specific to each connected monitor.

Cheers, Rob.

Only have one monitor and it is not HDR capable.  Windows does not have HDR enabled.  MSFS does and it's greyed out....the original issue.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's not an "issue", you'll need to purchase and HDR monitor/TV in order to get the Win10 HDR option which will then allow you to enable HDR10 in MSFS.

Cheers, Rob.

I think you’re misunderstanding.

HDR is enabled in MSFS. The setting is on and greyed out. I want to turn it off, or at least understand why it’s on. 

58 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I think you’re misunderstanding.

HDR is enabled in MSFS. The setting is on and greyed out. I want to turn it off, or at least understand why it’s on. 

In UserCfg.opt change HDR10 from 1 to 0, save and problem solved.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

38 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

That's most likely just the wrong default value for a disabled state (grayed).  In my apps UI designs, I don't show features not available to users as it generates support questions just like you posted.  On the other hand, it might be a marketing cue to go spend some money on an HDR monitor 😉  

Grayed out means the feature is not available regardless of the text being presented. 

Cheers, Rob. 

When are we going to see some MSFS2020 videos Rob

Rich Sennett

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Working on some MSFS projects (freeware) that I can't discuss and on some USB hardware projects (payware) ... then I need to get some updated CPU/MB/GPU hardware and reinstall MSFS, P3D, XP and repeat for my Dev PC.

I may have some additional paid work coming up soon ... if you noticed I really have not done any videos recently (other than testing which are usually unlisted) for any platform (MSFS, P3D, or XP).  All the platforms are currently in an "incomplete" state for my desires so don't really do full flights from A to B.

Maybe 2021 when more "things" are sorted out.

Cheers, Rob.

Wow thanks Rob - your pretty busy - good luck with all that

Rich Sennett

Right click your mouse on your desktop. On the menu, click on “Display”. Within that menu you’ll see to the left about playing game with HDR on or off. If it’s off, the little circle will be to the left and black. Click within it to turn on. It should go blue and the circle will slide to the right. Restart rig and enjoy (I always restart to clear cache but really don’t have to).

Upon launching FS 2020 you’ll see HDR10 is now no longer greyed out.

Ive got a 4K HDR monitor (Samsung 42” TV actually being used as a monitor).

Edited by mrmertz

I am using a 1440p HDR400 monitor. ( basically HDR 400 gives you all the extra colours of HDR10 but is not quite as blindingly bright on the high contrast side of things if your really close to the screen) and the improvement in game is noticeable.  The only annoying thing is I need to turn HDR off to take screenshots or they get washed out.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

On 10/19/2020 at 4:30 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

It doesn't.  It will only show if you have an HDR capable monitor.

If it does show, then you need to enable it in Win10 display settings in order to use HDR10 option in MSFSF.  Be aware, if you have multiple monitors, be sure to select the monitor you use for MSFS and the HDR setting is obviously specific to each connected monitor.

Cheers, Rob.

So Rob and everyone,  how do we square the circle of MSFS being a borderless windowed app, which in theory -- if you don't have a Quadro card -- is not capable of HDR10....which I believe is 10 bit colour ?

Is it a 'fake' HDR ? Or only providing a low rent HDR version of only 8 bits per channel ?

Secondly, with an Oled or Qled TV,  what are the required nVidia settings for RGB, 444, 442 ....  limited vs unlimited etc etc ?

Finally, all this begs the question: what Hdmi bandwidth is required for these settings in terms of GTX vs RTX, and HDMi 2.0 vs 2.1 ?

I realise many use DP monitors so the latter becomes moot, but more and more are using massive TVs 😁😁😁🤣

This is a real minefield ! 🙈🙈🙈

Thnx for advices.

Edited by Gabe777

On 11/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, mrmertz said:

Within that menu you’ll see to the left about playing game with HDR on or off. If it’s off, the little circle will be to the left and black. Click within it to turn on. It should go blue and the circle will slide to the right. Restart rig and enjoy (I always restart to clear cache but really don’t have to).

Even if the monitor is not HDR (as OP indicated)...

On 10/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, neil0311 said:

Only have one monitor and it is not HDR capable

?!...